Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody recognize this Kurtis?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jrodgerslvnv, Aug 27, 2012.

1. jrodgerslvnv

jrodgerslvnv
    from Las Vegas

Kurtis 500M.jpg 500M.jpg with Carmela, 80 years old, she had owned her Kurtis since 1965, it will always be called Carmel.jpg

Need help. Pulse is racing. Hurry.

So anyway,I was reading an article on Forgotten Fiberglass website (because that's what you do when you just acquired a 1955 Kurtis 500M), from a magazine that Motor Trend put together back in 1956 called "Sports Cars", vol #130, by Trend Books. And there it was, a red with white door area 500M. And the more I studied the grainy photo the more I'm convinced that this is my car back in the day. Every nuance detail seems correct, and with only 18 made, and living in Las Vegas, I'd put money on it. But realistically the photo is so grainy that many of the important details just aren't determinable. The photo was taken by noted photographer Lester Nehamkin. Does anybody know how to contact Motor Trend to check their archives from 1956 for such a photo, or how to get ahold of the Nehamkin archives?

http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/?p=18589

Thanks for any help.
    Jay

2. noboD

noboD

Let me be the first to say I like it. Kind of has T-bird and early Corvette styling but really has a look of it's own. Are the doors pocket doors?

3. Special Ed

Special Ed

Contact Arlen Kurtis. He owns a really nice 500m, and can probably fill you in. If you strike out with Arlen, PM me and I'll put you in contact with the Kurtis/Muntz Registry...

4. jrodgerslvnv

jrodgerslvnv
    from Las Vegas

Hi 'noboD'

Yeah that was my exact impression when I first saw the car. The doors are missing in the recent photos. They are very thin metal doors that create a recessed area, very unique. They use 1950 Ford trunk hinges.

Jay

5. jrodgerslvnv

jrodgerslvnv
    from Las Vegas

Hi 'Special Ed'

Thank you for your interest. I've been fortunate to have visited Arlen a couple of times, and he has been extremely helpful in reproducing the body vents and upper door panels. He of course stated that there were no real records kept back in those days that have survived. But I haven't showed him this article yet, so maybe it will stir some memories. Lester Nehamkin was also invited to the Kurtis shop and did another detailed article for Motor Trend, even photographing a car that I believe is Arlens when it was new, as his is the only one with roll up windows. I need to send him that link too. But my understanding is that the Kurtis/Muntz registry was for the Kurtis Sports Car/Muntz Jet only. But it would be nice to confirm that and/or get more info on the other Kurtis models if they have it.

Thanks again for your time,
    Jay

6. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Have you talked to Geoff Hacker?

7. jrodgerslvnv

jrodgerslvnv
    from Las Vegas

Hi Nads,

Yes, Geoffrey Hacker @ Forgotten Fiberglass has been a great help and inspiration. Motor Trend actually did reply to my inquest, but said they didn't have any pictures from Nehamkin on file. I'm still looking into how to get in contact with the Nehamkin and/or Joe Playan photo archives.

8. desertqueensb

desertqueensb
    from Tucson, AZ

Hi Jay....don't think I can be much help but I just wrote a story about my high school popularity because of my Dad's (Milt Kahl) Kurtis 500M.....I got to drive the prototype as my own in 1955 for 9 months while Frank was completing Dad's! If you'd like me to email you a copy of the short story.....let me know....
    [email protected]

Best, Sybil Byrnes (nee Kahl)

9. jrodgerslvnv

jrodgerslvnv
    from Las Vegas

Hello Sybil,

I was just checking my account files on Jalopy Journal and noticed your reply sent to me last November about your experiences with the Kurtis 500M. I apoligize but can't recall if I replied back. Buy I would definetly enjoy reading anything you might remember about the car and the times. Was your father the one who worked for Disney? I believe that that is the car that Arlen Kurtis owns now and is now painted black.

Thank you for your time and interest,

Jay Rodgers
    [email protected]

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

10. Just some info to add....

Attached Files:

11. jrodgerslvnv

jrodgerslvnv
    from Las Vegas

Hello 31 Dodger,

Thanks for the book clips on the 500M. It is a shame that no records seem to exist of the Kurtis-McCulloch endeavor. I'm sure there are some great stories of the time that will never be known.

Thanks again,
    Jay

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app