Register now to get rid of these ads!

Determining original color on 32 Ford from VIN? Possible?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordor Ron, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Did a search but came up empty. Can you determine the original color of a 32 Ford by the VIN like you can on a modern car?

If so... How?

Thanks in advance.

-Ron

2. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Sorry...ain't gonna happen! DD

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You can't determine the color of modern car from the VIN itself unless you use the VIN to access the build sheet.

Ray

4. randy

randy

Washington Blue.

5. 1beatnik

1beatnik
    from indiana

Just paint it black

6. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

7. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Didn't Ford say they can have any color they want as long as it is black?
    Not trying to be funny I thought they all were until later on.

8. dano1930

dano1930

the only way it would be possible is if there was still some of the original paint somewhere perhaps tucked under the subframe or somewhere, and try match it up, im sure theres plenty of info on original colors they were painted in '32 on this site. thats how i found out the original paint for my '30. if your body has been acid dipped of something it unfortunatly may not be possible.

9. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Wrong as usual... That was only on the Model T...

This what I found as far as available colors:

Attached Files:

10. I believe in 1932 the chassis, fenders, gas tank & firewall were black, everything else (the body, hood & grille shell etc.) would be the aforementioned colors.

Mick

11. Hmmm... I thought Washington Blue was a 32 color.

Wonder what that Dido Blue color looks like?

12. I was able to razor blade off all the layers of repaint in several large areas of mine. The original color will buff up in those areas. It sure looks like Washington Blue.

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Only the body itself, the hood and radiator shell were painted in colors in 1932. The firewall, frame, gas tank, frame horn covers, and front and rear fenders and radiator splash apron were painted gloss black.

For the record the all-black era of Ford production was 1917-1922 during the T years.

14. zoomma

zoomma

Wasn't Washington blue a 1936 color?

15. The body on my car had some original paint but it has deteriated to the point that I can't tell if it is blue or green. I was hoping the VIN might tell me something.

16. F&J

F&J

my 32 was a royal mess, damaged in every possible way....but there was still some dark blue up under the cowl, and inner cowl sides. It was overspray, but heavy enough to last 80 years.

17. The VIN (actually the serial number) will not tell you the original color. When the engine/transmission assembly passed inspection (they were all built at the Rouge plant for US production) they were assigned a number. The engines were shipped all over the country and installed in the next chassis coming down the line. If you are doing a restoration you should get a copy of "The 1932 Ford Book" from the Early Ford V8 Club (earlyfordv8.org). The book has a ton of data including color chips.

Charlie Stephens

18. tinmann

tinmann

My '32 3w was and will be again, Washington Blue. When I was searching for a paint code, I found Washington Blue listed for all years 1929 to 1936. I decided to go with a 1936 formula as it seemed like it would have the best depth of all. I found a small patch of the original color on the passenger side door B pillar area. I should be shooting my fist batch of color this week.