Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Model A Project, rear end choice?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by noblebeidoun, Apr 12, 2013.

1. noblebeidoun

noblebeidoun
    from Michigan

Hey guys, so ive got an iron duke infront of a T5 trans, now i need to go witha rear end. I need something that will maintain the width for the wheel base on the Model A. I understand that the Ford 9 inch is a good choice, but are there not several different types? Anyways, any suggestions?

Also, is it absolutely nessecary that we even replace the rear end? OUr main concern is simply for better brakes.

thanks guys

2. 31Apickup

31Apickup

You need to post a little more info about your car, such as is it full fendered, channeled and body style. For a full fendered car, the Ford Maverick 8" rear is a perfect fit at 56" wide wheel mounting flange to wheel mounting flange. The early Bronco (1966-77) 9 inch is 58".

3. Fenders

Fenders

Best width is a 2 wheel drive S-10 axle.

4. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

Go early 9". They are tough and look good under there. May need to be cut down on one side to fit right. Unless you find a mid 60's ford bronco rear, that should fit nicely with little or no mods. But they are hard to come by.
    I went with a late 50's ford truck rear, smooth pumpkin and had to chop 1 side.

5. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

An 8" Ford will work in your app. Your T-5 would break long before you could break an 8". A suitable width would be easy to find. Disc brake kits and conversions are everywhere.

6. jkeesey

jkeesey

Personally i like quick change rears, you can pick up a used circle track one for a couple hundred bucks at a swap meet. Custom length axles and tubes, bolt on disc or drum brakes. The options are limitless. My brother actually has an extra rear sitting at my folks place.

7. noblebeidoun

noblebeidoun
    from Michigan

Okay, so more info on the car real quick. It is full fender, its a 4 door. Just imagine an original Ford Model A look, thats the look we are keeping.

8. Jimi-Neutron

Jimi-Neutron

I'll second this ^^^^^^^

I'm new around here, so for what it's worth, the 10 bolt GM is a good choice. Depending on the year you find, it may even have disk brakes. Not to mention, they typically have a 5X5 bolt pattern offering billions of wheel options.

9. an 8 inch out of a Maverick will work great and keep your tires under the fenders

10. You can see the rear plainly from the back (unless it's channeled) and coil overs, modern rears look bad to me. I'm going to use a V8 banjo on my '28 Tudor, plenty strong for a 4 cyl or a warmed up V8.

11. noblebeidoun

noblebeidoun
    from Michigan

thanks alot for the advice guys, now im torn between the 8 inch maverick and the S-10 axle, something to consider is that we are not building this car for performance as much as we are for reliability.

12. 41 C28

41 C28

What he said.

13. mitchs66

mitchs66

I don't know what your wheel bolt pattern is on the front...but that may help you decide one way or the other.

14. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Something like a 1957 Ford nine inch is perfect for your application, but they are getting hard to find and are expensive. The early 70's Ford 8 inch is affordable and will fit a Model A well.

15. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I would NOT use a S-10 rear ... myself. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With all the bolts on the rear end ... they look funky ... to me. :)

The Maverick ( 5 lug stand Ford pattern ) is a 8 inch series rear end and is stronger, prettier and easier to work on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 8 inch axle bearings are easier to change, more plentiful and cost less. Also you can change the rear end gearing simply by changing the center section. On a S-10 type ... you HAVE to set them up ... in the housing.

[​IMG]

:eek:

16. Fenders

Fenders

True... I have F-100 Ford pattern on the front, and GM S-10 pattern on the back.

OTOH I don't carry a spare tire (let alone two) so it don't matter....

Nice chart:
    http://www.carnut.com/specs/rear.html

17. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I second.

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      322.8 KB
      Views:
  18. rods&cycles

rods&cycles
    from Iowa

Most of the axles mentioned above, other than the S-10 are extremely difficult to find and when you do, get ready to shell out the cash. In my location if you can find a 9", to get it narrowed and rebuilt is in the 1200-1800 dollar range depending on pumpkin, posi or not and gear ratio.
    That's why I'm putting an 8.8 axle out of a Ford Explorer in my '29 Coupe. They are readily available through local auto dismantlers, many configuations -disc or drum, several ratios and posi or not. They are extremely strong and all the parts are readily available at any parts store.
    Mine cost less than $75. with disc brakes and a posi from a local dismantler. I had the passenger side tube narrowed to match the drivers side and used an extra driver's side axle to get it to the 57" width I was planning for. the same guy redrilled my new discs to 4.3/4 bolt circle also. My total cost with rebuild is less than $325.00 and there are many nicely finned covers for these axles as well.
    Just my .02...

19. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

20. bgaro

bgaro

with an iron duke at maybe 90 horse just run your model a rear. you dont need a 9 inch.
    whats year is your motor? any tricks to runnin' that t5 with it?

21. noblebeidoun

noblebeidoun
    from Michigan

Bgaro, we considered that, however no one else recommended it.

And would it matter if we did 4 lug of 5 lug on the rear for the Maverick?

22. bgaro

bgaro

i'm using a '36 rear. don't use 4 lug your wheel choices will be limited.

23. GTOMUSTANG

GTOMUSTANG
    from ct

If I remember correctly (posting from work, can't check) the Astro AWD van offered a limited slip differential, MAY work for an S-10 rear axle.

Also, that IronDuke had a performance following, could stroke it out to 181 cid with a Pontiac racing crank plus there was a racing block and DOHC head...but the OEM block was weak. You might want to poke about the internet for build ideas to get past that 9ohp.

24. modeleh

modeleh

What are you running for wheels? If you are going for a traditional look, which may include '35 Ford wheels, they used a 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern. Just so happens the early Bronco rears are the right width and bolt pattern.

25. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

For my 31 highboy coupe project I'm using a 1955 Ford Thunderbird Dana 44 rear. I also have a 55 Ford shoebox rear for a future project. Both are the perfect width fenders or not. I have a set of original 40 rims i will use, I like running the vintage stuff.

26. ricco

ricco

I'm using a 9" out of a 1969 F-100 for my 31 tudor sedan highboy project. It measures 62" backing plate to backing plate and fits perfect with a 3 1/2" kick-up in back.