Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are you a outcast in your neighborhood?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsiddons, Apr 7, 2013.

1. castirondude

castirondude

I have 15 acres in an agricultural area. I actually hired a guy to dig up any and all deed restrictions before closing on it.

Let's see, one neighbor will work outside till midnight blasting his music. The other has 3 quads that his ~10 year old daughters ride around with their friends, doing donuts out in the street, even late at night. He doesn't have gravel in his driveway so with every rain there is a half mile mud trail coming from his driveway. Another spends the better part of his Saturday shooting guns. Nobody has any interest in talking to the law so we all mind our own business. Redneck neighbors are just great :) oh yea my favorite is the lady who has been divorced 10 !! Times! She's single any takers? LOL

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

2. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Not really. I was apparently the only guy with an air compressor on the street for a while. Some Satiurdays, I had kids lined up to get their bike tires aired up.

3. mbrede

mbrede
    from Minnesota

All my neighbors are doing 99 to life, and I only get to use the iron in the yard, an hour a day

4. I moved to Utah about 10 years ago, I was the outcast then and now after a decade here I'm still the outcast. Screw the neighbors, when you do a bleach burnout, do it on your drive way before 9pm and they can't do shit.
    Enjoy being different, there are probably a couple of other guys that will enjoy it.

5. jazz1

jazz1

Do nothing to attract attention to yourself. I moved onto a quiet 1 block street and soon found 6 of the garages on my street held some fine cars/rods/iceracers. Not everyone wears their hobby like a badge

6. gutpile

gutpile
    from Texas

I might of be an outcast but now every new year everybody comes to my house for the neighborhood blow out. Yes I did a smoky burn out with open headers down the street and got thumbs up (after they got to know me). They know where to come to borrow tools or need help with something. We got several neighbors that hate each other and will not even talk to each other but I get alone with all of them. One new neighbor brought over a bottle of crown for me last night for helping him out, I would not let him leave it untill he help me test it first, 4 hours later he walked home when his wife called.

7. I bought an older house in rough condition with a wildly overgrown yard in 1986. The house next to me was a shitdump rental for years. I had some real dirtbags for neighbors and it was a weed grow-house for a short time.

But I dumped a ton of $$$ into mine and nobody bitched about a few un-plated cars in plain sight in my big driveway.

The house next door was eventually bought by some decent people and is one of the nicest houses around. While the ownership was in limbo, a contractor came by and offered me $500 to burn the house down, since it was on a big plot. I said, make it $5000 and it goes up tonight. He laughed but turned it down.

Bob

8. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I may be "The Guy" with the old cars and (sometimes) piles of junk layin' around. I might be the guy who fires up the car on Sat. morning (6am) with OPEN HEADERS. I AM the guy who has late night beer drinking in the garage. BUT, I'm ALSO the guy that everyone comes to for tools and hardware to fix whatever is broke....

9. X3. And don't show them your junk!

10. RoryShock

RoryShock
    from Western TN

Yeah, getting put on a sex-offender's list is sure-fire to get you labeled as an outcast.

11. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

Instead of pissing them off I would try to get in good with all the wifes. I'm sure there are a few of them that would like some afternoon delight. JC

12. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

And you can heck for them on line....:D

13. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I'm the neighborhood hot rodder, and I ran the homeowners for 6 years or so. I have found some car nut neighbors, even a single grandma with a nice 67 Cougar I do work on. I was the street husband for a while, lots of single older women who called me to fix everything. I build cars for other people, always new rides stopping by the house to tweak on. Neighbors come over to see what is new. No, I don't do burnouts or loud noise after 9 if I can help it, but I do test drives around the neighborhood, sometimes befor the exhaust is hooked up.

Just be cool like you would want neighbors to be.

14. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I'm the "senior neighbor" here,...and the cop-caller assholes are always the "newbies" who move in, and think they own the whole block.

4TTRUK

15. if that's how you behave, you are more than welcome in my neighborhood!
    in what part of the great Hoosier state do you live?

16. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Plainfield. West side of Indy.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

17. TxRat

TxRat

Nope, My neighbors love me. I'm always outside and have no problem walking up to a "stranger" walking through my neighborhood. I do however shut it all down by 9P even on weekends.

18. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Give your neighbors the same respect that you would expect from them. I equate being loud with my cars to be as offensive to some as someone blaring rap music late aT night to me. Drinking and smoking around kids isn't going to make any friends either. I'm not saying change who you are to fit in, but at least try to be respectful and coexist.

19. I would rather you hate me for who I am, than like me for what I'm not.....

20. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

That's the way I feel.

21. 1965L79SS

1965L79SS

Just remember, if you scare away a guy in the hood he maybe replaced with a guy driving a tuner car with a big fart can equipped Honda Civic.

22. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

be political........ i granny drive thru the neighborhood until i reach the corner 1/2 mile away,,,, then all h@#$% breaks loose as i leave out.........everyone knows it's me & laughs about it......i just don't do it in the neighborhood - point is "be heard, but not seen"

23. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Holy crap!!Are you my secret neighbor?? Other then the mud trail, sounds like home sweet home. What clinched it was the lady who has been divorced 10 times. Got one next door. She is one of the nicest neighbors. Sorry to see her go as she is moving. By the way, our place is for sale. Lots of room for STUFF. 4 acres, Ag/Res, custom built 2 story cedar home, 3 pole barns in West FL. We want to enjoy our senior years in our place in SE Tenn. CG;)

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

As far as I know, there are only 2 hotrods in my area. And he only takes his out one day a month. So, I'm an enigma. Some get it, most don't.

As for you. Why would you start off on a bad note? Guaranteed, one of the fifty is either a cop or knows one. Tread lightly, new kid on the block.

25. lunchboxscuff

lunchboxscuff
    from Ojai,ca

Gotta respect your neighbors. I try and keep the noise down as much as possible. I work on my cars between 10am and 7pm, and also keep my projects under nice car covers. Obey all the city laws and you will be in the clear.

26. RatPin

RatPin

Our street is mostly 5 acre lots so not a lot of neighbors, but we are also smack dab in the middle of 7th Day Adventist community. The youngest on our street and have loud cars and bikes, but all my neighbors are very nice and neighborly still. We're lucky!

27. Anderson

Anderson

Lived here in my first house almost a year now...all the houses on this street are about 1/2 acre. Not huge but a little elbow room. The guy across the street is a '41-'48 nut, with I think 3 convertibles and a sedan, his dad's model A sedan, and a big shop where he does all his own bodywork and paint. The guy down the street used to have a '59 Ford under his carport...now it's a '48 Buick I believe. Two doors down is a blacksmith who I should really get to know...nice shop in his back yard. A kid up the street has an E30 BMW that's a little lowered and sounds good. And a couple guys with bikes. I can't complain...

28. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

On my street, there's only one other car guy. The neighborhood has a lot of retired people that keep their homes looking nice, manicured lawnscaping and freshly painted homes. Cars parked in their garages. The guy that has cars, parks them in his driveway under car covers and they never move because they are junk. He is loud and obnoxious and his neighbors hate him. He uses power tools at all hours and will blast music full power. He has no regard for anyone but himself. It takes him months to clean his yard and it's a terrible job. He throws trash in his neighbors yard. His house is a blight on the neighborhood.

I, on the other hand, keep my house clean and orderly. I only work on my cars during daylight hours and clean up afterwards (no oil stains in street of driveway). I also don't annoy my neighbors with unmuffled vehicles. My attitude is, trat people the way you'd like to be treated.

29. tjmercury

tjmercury

Neighborhood?!?! I'm an outcast in my own family!!!!!

30. Dr.HairyOlds

Dr.HairyOlds
    from CNY

I have a commercial building on a main road around the corner from a trailer park. Had a few people looking when I broke in my new motor sans exhaust but no problems with me. My biggest issues are the dirt bags next door whose kid never seems to be in school and likes to use my parking lot for a skate park when I'm not around. And the surrounding businesses that like to park their shit in my parking lot because they don't have the room.

Never had any real problems in my mom's neighborhood. But down the street were some real yuppie young families. They equated engine noise to speed and always figured I was speeding down the street as they had their young kids playing in the road unsupervised. Got a lot of dirty looks.

One day, I way driving by slowly around one guy in the middle of the street w/ his kid. When he was even with my open window, he yelled in it, "slow down." I stopped the car and could barely get the door open I was so pissed. I growled at him, "I am going 17 mph!" Must have scared the hell out of him cuz I never was bothered again.