Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs chopnweld's '51 Merc wins GG 2013 Custom of the Year!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Mar 24, 2013.

1. mlagusis

mlagusis

Looks like a Good call by the Good Guys!

2. Congrats Nick and to all involved!!!! Well deserved!!

’51 Merc Custom Wins Goodguys 2013 Mother’s Custom of the Year Award

Posted By Patricia Kaowthumrong, April 1, 2013 in News & Events

[​IMG]
    Nick Rogers’ radical 1951 Mercury custom won the Goodguys 2013 Mother’s Custom of the Year award at the Goodguys 31st All American Get-Together presented by Specialty Sales Classics March 23-24 in Pleasanton, Calif.
    Rogers’ candy-blue Merc beat out a stellar national field of customs, collecting its second major award this spring. The car also won the coveted Custom d’Elegance crown at February’s Sacramento AutoRama, according to a Goodguys press release.
    The ’51 Merc was finished and produced for the show season by Bill Ganahl’s South City Rod & Custom and started with “humble beginnings.”

“I wanted a $30,000 flat black Merc custom,” said Rogers, a financial advisor on the San Francisco peninsula. “That’s how this car started out. But once things got rolling and I began to dream, the project took on a life of its own.I’ve never really done things half speed so it¹s not too surprising we went all in. We saw the possibilities of what it could be and Bill was the man to take it there.”
    The Mother’s Custom of the Year winner features perfect 4-inch chops; top, forward-slanted B-pillars; a ’50 Merc rear window along with other subtle cosmetic enhancements artistically executed by Matt Townsend of Townsend Customs & Hot rods; DeSoto grille;’49 Merc dash; ’55 Ford side trim; and rich, candy-blue House of Kolor paint sprayed by Joe Compani.
    The engine bay has hand-fabricated engine compartment panels house the painted and lettered “Chevrolac,” a Chevy small block with custom-made Caddy valve covers. Underneath it all is a full Art Morrison chassis. And the interior features a period-perfect blue and white tuck and roll upholstery, the release said.
    Ganahl, a second-generation hot rodder who spent many years as an apprentice at Roy Brizio Street Rods, drove the MErc 60 miles from his shop in south San Francisco to Pleasanton for the show.
    After the win, Ganahl noted: “A lot of talented people had a hand in building this car. In the end, we tried to build a classy, subtle Merc custom that didn’t have flaws. One that could be driven long distances. That became the ultimate focus of this car.”
    Fellow finalists for the Goodguys 2013 Mother’s Custom of the Year Award included John D’Agostino (’40 Cadillac), Tony Cuevest (’49 Merc), Don Kirk (’40 Ford) and Jeff James (’54 Chevy).

3. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Thanks Chad for the kudos, and thanks for the advice along the way. Glad to see that slddnmatt is getting well deserved props (more to come). I have many more HAMBrs to thank as well: flamed abone, 19fordy, special ed, 51gringo, shoebox1950, ianberky, anthonydefreitas. You all were generous with your time and input. Who else on here have I not mentioned? Please chime in and dont be shy...

4. 1959apache

1959apache

beautiful car, congratulations

5. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Driving the Merc down to Santa Maria for the WCC show over Memorial Day weekend. Any other HAMBers going? C'mon slddnmatt, bring Stef for her b-day!

6. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)One of the nicest cars out there !:cool::D

7. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Just got my news letter from Sacramento Vintage Ford and saw this;[​IMG]
    Nick Rogers' '51 Merc wins Goodguys 2013 Mother's Custom of the Year

Pleasanton, CA - Nick Rogers' radical 1951 Mercury custom has won the Goodguys 2013 Mother's Custom of the Year award. On a sun baked afternoon in Pleasanton, California at the Goodguys 31st All American Get-Together presented by Specialty Sales Classics, Rogers' sleek candy blue Merc beat out a stellar national field of customs, collecting its second major award this spring. The car also won the coveted Custom d'Elegance crown at February's Sacramento AutoRama.

Finished and produced for the show season by Bill Ganahl's South City Rod & Custom, Rogers' Merc started with humble beginnings. "I wanted a thirty thousand dollar flat black Merc custom," he said..."That's how this car started out. But once things got rolling and I began to dream, the project took on a life of its own. I've never really done things half speed so it's not too surprising we went all in. We saw the possibilities of what it could be and Bill was the man to take it there" said Rogers, a financial advisor on the San Francisco