Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Gene Cromer is being inducted into the east coast hall of fame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Quain Stott, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Big news for Gene Cromer and his string of (Moonlighter) ford race cars he's being inducted into the east coast drag racing hall of fame in October this year. Gene raced an A/Gas willys in the early to late 60s then ran the willys and a mustang funny car in the later 60s and early 70's then tried his hand with a pro stock maverick before he hung it up in the early to mid 70's. He was a winner every where he went and did all of his own engine work even built the chassis for his stuff. He also did engine and chassis work for other teams up until the mid 90's. He did all this on a shoe string budget from his shop behind his house where he still lives today.I could go on and on bragging on Gene and his accomplishments over the years. Any one that has any stories or memories of Gene please post them here we would all love to here them.If you haven't already visit the rebuild thread on Gene willys here http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=730747&highlight=gene+cromer

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  2. Congrats Gene!! What an honor!! You rank with the best of them,Well deserved!!!

3. This is fantastic news!

I am so pleased to hear that Gene is being bestowed the honors he so richly deserves!

He has always been my hero,,Congratulations Gene,,and lets not forget all the hard work Quain has done on the Moonlighter. HRP

4. elgringo71

elgringo71

Congratulations Gene, that puts you in some great company. It will be the perfect time for the Moonlighter to come out of hibernation after all these years.

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Congratulations Gene, so well deserved !

We must have some super-neat-o-T-Shirts made with pictures of your cars on the front and back.

Glenn

6. frank spittle

frank spittle

Congratulations Gene. It is great to hear you are joining us. I look forward to your induction in October and seeing your Willys again.

7. Where and when is the induction ceremony? HRP

8. dmc3113

dmc3113

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  9. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

congrats gene!

10. Congratulations Gene. An accomplishment well deserved. We already had made accommodation to be there. This will make the trip that much better.Can wait to see it. Yea shirts would be nice.

11. Way to go Gene! We haven't gotten to meet (YET) but the fact that you wheeled a 9 second FE powered Willys gasser back in the "Golden Age" when men were men, and stock Willys frames were nervous, makes you one of my hero's too! Don't forget to call about pistons for that Hi Riser, cause I'm given you a deal you can't. refuse. Ric.

12. no1nitrofreak

no1nitrofreak

Congratulations Gene, I remember when the gassers were the top show around the Carolinas. With The Moonlighter, The Blue Angel, The McConnell Bros, The Bold One, Cat Skinner, Jim Almond, Levi Miles, and Rudy Sherrill. Gene put em all on the trailer.

13. violet springs

violet springs

Congrats Gene, on being inducted into the East Coast Hall of Fame.

14. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Congatulations to you, Gene. I hope your still grinnin' from ear to ear!

15. androcathr

androcathr
    from london

You rank with the best of them,Well deserved[​IMG]

16. Another FE Ford racer in the East Coast Hall of Fame!! That's great, congrats!!! He will be in great company including Bonner, Nicholson and Brannan among others.

17. chevydeucewagon

chevydeucewagon

Congrats Gene! That is a well deserved honor. It has been a blessing to see the Moonlighter coming back to life and this is just icing on the cake.
    Daron

18. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Gene being chosen to be in the hall of fame is the shot in the arm that I needed The long day's restoring the Moonlighter were getting ruff at times but but now knowing this I'm wide open again.

19. AHotRod

AHotRod

Back up for all to see.

20. dmc3113

dmc3113

21. X2 Congrats brother :cool:

22. AREA51SD

AREA51SD

Congrats gene on your induction! Just received this in a e-mail for the Induction and Car Show.

Attached Files:

23. dmc3113

dmc3113

btt

24. frank spittle

frank spittle

A few more being inducted in the class of 2013 are:

Al Hanna....Nitro Funny Car and Jet Funny Car driver.

Bob Harrop...Pioneer Funny Car driver and won the first major F/C race.

Ray Price...T/F Harley rider and father of the Funny Bike class.

The "Golden Commandos" drag racing team.

Gene is in good company.

25. bowtie40

bowtie40

Congrats Gene, You earned it many times over.

26. I'm making my plans to be there to see Gene receive the recognition he so richly deserves,,along with many supporters.HRP

27. X-2
    HRP hope to meet you there. Looking forward to it. Thinking about going to Greer for the 25th.