Register now to get rid of these ads!

American Pickers Land Speed Record Car Unearthed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by James427, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James427

James427
    BANNED

As promised... The American Pickers Mike and Frank found this car in the episode Pandora's Box. It was in a backyard in Clearwater Florida along with the Nomad Body I had posted earlier. It had to be saved! It is all 1929 Pierce Arrow running grear with some amazing modifications like custom made 4 carb intake and frame mods., etc. The car is so low that with four flat tires the trans plug touches the ground. When was the last time you saw a car from the 30's with a 300mph speedometer! Anyway... let the debates begin.

The car was supposedly shown in the Chicago Panamerica or World's Fair in the later 30's. It ran a few times on the sand in ormand Beach and Daytona. Any information, pictures or photos would be greatly appreciated. :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  2. James427

James427
    BANNED

3. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember that episode. Very cool car but looks like there's not much left there to work with. Best of luck.

4. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

As much as I love messing with old cars and modifying them, that one deserves to be restored to it's former LSR days as it's rightful place in history. Also wishing you luck with the build.

5. James427

James427
    BANNED

Actually it is quite complete. It originally had a fabric body much like the early aircraft and has many aircraft style contruction techniques used. What you see of the remaining body is some of the original fabric body.

6. As I recall the guy that owned it thought it was worth a ton of money. HRP

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

I hope I have this confused with the Joel Thorne SLR car. I think Fagole Bus co was somehow envolved.

8. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Glad you rescued it. Keep us posted with your plans and progress.

9. the-rodster

the-rodster

Super cool!

Keep us posted.

Rich

10. Did I miss something,,have you bought it? HRP

11. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I wondered what that was. I didn't think they had fiberglass back then. Cool project.

12. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

X2-?

13. noboD

noboD

If you own it good on you. Loks like a neat project. Might want to also post it on Land Speed, might get some info there. Any idea of what carbs it would have had?

14. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Isn't that show scripted and fake?

16. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

bite your toung!!!! no reality TV is scripted or fake!!!!

17. Like I said on the Nomad thread.....it's amazing what people have in their back yard! So what's your plans with this one. The Nomad is up for sale. Will this also be? I would love to hear the history on the car. Some old photos would be even cooler. Something has got to be out there about it. What's the story from the guy you bought it from? How did he come about it?? Neat find.

18. James427

James427
    BANNED

He and his father bought it in 1988 and there it has sat since. It supposedly had some connection to a Kenworth Reeves, but he may just be the person he bought it from. It was supposedly also shown at the chicago World's Fair or PanAmerican show in the mid to late thirties.

19. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

not worth the hype...

20. huffreport

huffreport

Congratulations... That car has been on my mind from time to time ever since that episode ran. I'm so very, very glad to see that it's getting a good home! As for those nay-sayers who don't believe the show is real, no, I don't suppose there would be anything to keep them from maybe planting good items at a pick site, if the pick wasn't going well, after all, you wouldn't want to waste all those production costs... Right? But, I must admit, I am a little bit amazed at how so many of those "free-styling picks" end up at the worlds largest collection of rare XYZ... I wish I had that kind of luck! But, you'd have to be awfully cynical to take such a view on your own, without someone putting ideas like that in your head, right? In the end, it's a fun show, and there is no way of knowing what goes on... I think I've watched every episode, some many times over.

Kevin

21. James427

James427
    BANNED

Randy said that he had contacted the show to clear out some of his dad's stuff from that old house. They called, set up the appointment and showed up with 5 or 6 vans, equipment, etc. Frank and Mike had to drive up to the house four times because each time they would go down the block and turn around for the shot, people would follow them back to the house for an autograph. Randy also said that Mike cussed up a storm and that they had to cut a lot of it out. There was an old wooden wheel bike and several other things there that they could not come together on a price about and all that was cut out too. But there was no "planting" anything or anything like that.

I too was very curious about the car, but thought that someone else would have hunted it down before now. I was shocked when I went around the house to get the Nomad and that was sitting there.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

If someone had the time, and all the issues I bet there is some info on this car in Popular Mechanics magazine. I'm down to about 24 issues and will see what may be there. Bob

23. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

Looks like a hell of a project! but really cool when completed.
    you know, if you were to make the front end a little longer.... /s;)

24. so did you buy it or what?

25. James427

James427
    BANNED

Yes....

It was invited to the Festival of Speed in St Pete Florida already and will be displayed there on the lawn if anyone is interested in seeing it.

26. alsancle

alsancle

It is very cool indeed but not an LSR. I posted this over on the AACA forum as it reminded me of this "LSR" that was built in 1937 for a Jimmy Stewart movie as a prop.

[​IMG]

27. ChefMike

ChefMike

good luck with this piece of history! Please keep us posted to your progress and best of luck

28. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

I thought it looked a lot like the Jimmy Stewart movie car. That film was recently on Turner Movie channel.

DW

29. brewster55

brewster55

saw it today. neat piece of history.

30. silversink

silversink

WHAT----your kidding me----Dani Deisel is real though:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.