Register now to get rid of these ads!

52 Dodge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jrmandryck, Apr 6, 2013.

1. jrmandryck

jrmandryck
    from Virginia

Hey there everyone; i just picked up a 1952 dodge with the 230 flathead 6; the truck is in great shape aside from the fact that the 3 speed on the tree is toasted. what are my options to swap this out for a different manual or auto trans that would be comfortable cruising; the motor is rebuilt to factory specs so it will be in there for a long time. are there any trans that are a direct bolt in or will everything be a custom fit? thanks for the help

2. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

I can't really comment on the tranny, but if it's the stock drivetrain, the first thing you'll want to swap out is the rear end. With gears in the 4.1 range, you're looking at a 45mph top end.

I have an 8 3/4" rear out of a '73 Barracuda waiting to go into my '46. Backing plate width was within an inch of the stock rear end.

Chris

3. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

4. Plymouth dodge overdrive transmission r-10.borg warner overdrive transmission .

5. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Another excellent source of parts and advice is Vintage Powerwagons. They cater to the ex military 4 wheel drive Dodge trucks known as Powerwagons. These all used the 230 Dodge flathead 6.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

6. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)How about some pictures of you new truck??????????:cool::eek::D

7. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

8. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:D100% correct on that but need a trany first ... Good Luck on your project. :) Let's see some pics ,that's what draws the hambers to you threads

9. Tim Keith

Tim Keith

You could use 3.73 gears from a Chrysler passenger car of the era. An overdrive is the best option. The T5 has been used with the 230, but its not a bolt in. The Chrysler A833 overdrive transmission can work, but like the T5 isn't a simple bolt on and the gear spacing is pretty wide. The Dennan Overdrive (same design as Laycock DeNormanville/Gear Vendors) would have been good but those are no longer available. The shifter on the OEM Dodge is close to the bell housing end of the transmission. If you don't mind having the shifter further back the T5 swap is reasonable. The 200R4 might be good as the other GM automatic transmissions might drag down the 230 too much.

10. 73RR

73RR

11. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

for an e-body rear thats close the b-body rear is a bit shorter

12. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Sorry I couldnt send you my 3 on the tree that was on my old 230, I just threw it out, no one wanted it on craigslist.. :(
    Just to clear this up...For rear axles
    ..body...year.....width
    B-body 62-70 59.2
    B-body 71-79 62.0
    E-body 70-74 60.7

13. xftcyrpz

xftcyrpz
    from london

The Chrysler A833 overdrive transmission can work, but like the T5 isn't a simple bolt on and the gear spacing is pretty wide.[​IMG]

14. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

cool 59.2 a tad shorter as said

15. jrmandryck

jrmandryck
    from Virginia

thanks guys i appreciate the help; what type of extra parts are needed to install either the t5 or the a833? i have a dodge 1 ton with a 3 on the tree now

16. jrmandryck

jrmandryck
    from Virginia

17. jrmandryck

jrmandryck
    from Virginia

My other thought was search out a replacement or attempt a rebuild (with assistance from my buddy when he can take some vacation) and convert the three on the tree to a floor shift. what would i need to make this conversion? just a shifter and a hole in the floor and hook up linkage or does the linkage need replacement? any and all help would be greatly appreciated (ie part numbers, kits etc) and don't be afraid to dumb it down for me. transmissions are out of my area of expertise

18. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Here are his pics for all to see. It is a real truck. No doubt about it.:D:cool:
    ''Did you not wake up this morning thinking this was another opportunity to mess up some bad guy's day? I did.'' :Deputy United States Marshal Raylan Givens

''I believe you dictate the river of fate through your own actions.'' : Boyd Crowder

Attached Files:

19. supervert

supervert

I run a t5 in my plymouth and love it. this was a easy swap, no linkage mods on the clutch since it uses the stock bell. i used a 94 mustang trans with a s10 tailhousing. it made it much more drivable, with dual carbs and split exhaust it will easily blow by traffic on the freeway

here is the link to the adapter
    http://www.1935plymouth.com/

20. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Here is my advice= Get the trany out. If the case is not exploded ,it is rebuildable and that is what I would do. Rebuild it .Get the truck so you can drive it as quickly as possible. Then start to do improvements. Get a grill ,front bumper. Go to a used furniture store ,GoodWill ,Salvation Army . Find a real leather couch, strip it, use the leather to rebuild you seat. Clean up the dash and any thing else inside. Just my take on it. You will learn as you go. I'm willing to advise to your needs.:D

21. supervert

supervert

if you pay for the ride, i will send you a working three speed. my zip is 95961 if you want to check on shipping

22. jrmandryck

jrmandryck
    from Virginia

That is awesome; i really appreciate the info and thanks for adding the pics. working on building a step side bed with sheet metal and round tubing and a wood floor. long term plan is a flat orange paint and some black for the grill. all the parts are in bins except the bed. just need to replace the fuel pump and rebuild the carb and she'll run like a top im hoping. the motor looks much better in person than the pictures show and it appears to have all new gaskets and a good amount of fresh paint so it may even have been rebuilt at some point (big if i know but a guy can dream)

23. 52RAM108

52RAM108
    from 76564

that 1-ton was a dual rear wheel one ton in its previous life, judging from the offset on them wheels and the short running board (probably had a flat bed on it at some point). And there-in lies a few problems, as I don't think there is a 1-ton brake upgrade because of the hubs. Half-tons have a disc brake conversion out there (see olddaddy at rustyhope.com). The rear axle axle is the full-floater type, probably 4.10. The original 3spd weren't as strong as the spur-gear 4spds, so it might truly be shot. I'd lean towards the T5 conversion as you can pick & choose what components you want to build a T5 that you need. For the trucks, ya want that S10 tailshaft to place the gearshift in the right spot in the cab; Mustang or Camaro trans.cases are probably the way to go, although I recall doing some research awhile back and found that Astro Van transmissions were geared the best for the flatheads (but ya gotta find one first). The other problem is with the locking-ring wheels. Ya have to use tubes with flaps, they need to be mounted at a truck stop or similar heavy truck service facility, and they need to be balanced statically. My '49 1-ton went thru a mishap a few years ago as it got a clogged fuel line on the road, and I did not specify a flatbed tow truck to come get me...the boom truck hooked my beast from the rear bumper over my objections, putting all the weight on the front axle, went over 50mph, and the unbalanced rims began to shake the truck violently until the steering box busted into pieces, slinging my old beast into the ditch and taking me years to find the right parts to fix that mess. So if'n ya wanna cruise over 50, ya gotta get the wheels, tires & brakes situated for safe travel :cool:

24. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Get some cab lights and a pair of Baby West Coast Mirrors , :cool:

Attached Files:

25. jrmandryck

jrmandryck
    from Virginia

i have put a bit of effort into looking at a rear axle swap and just putting the stock axle in the garage for a later date and time

26. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Hmm If you listen to the people who want you to modernize your truck ,you wont have anything on it but the cab, doors and windows. It's one ton truck not a TURNPIKE CRUISER. (0well the dream of youth) I'm surprised no one suggested putting a HEMI in it, OK , How about this? ,Build a sloped frame and bed on the back and make it into a car hauler, Keep the rear end and add wheels for duals :D:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  27. jrmandryck

jrmandryck
    from Virginia

My dilema is that I love the look of the factory truck; but i do want to be able to drive it a lot without major issues. that is why i was looking to fix/upgrade what needs to be addressed anyways but keeping the factory parts so i can always switch it back if need be.

28. nowhereman

nowhereman
    from illinois

Nice looking truck

29. 73RR

73RR

What the hell is a Hemmi...:confused:

And if he does listen to folks he will have a safer truck, a better driving truck, and just maybe, he wants to cruise on the freeways. Geeesh

30. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Ok so you got a piece of yard art. There a folks here jumping me cause I am trying to help you, so you don't make a life time career out of a one ton truck and it end up a rat rod. The problem here you admit you don't have any expertise to do any of the work on the truck and you just sit and look at it ,waiting for someone to come along and fix it, You 've had offer of a good tranny ,all you have to do is pay the shipping.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013