Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anglia Project Front Suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mrocketscience, Apr 5, 2013.

1. I have an Anglia gasser type project I'm working on. Someone in the past has grafted on what looks like an Opel Kadette front suspension. The problem is it's 4-5 inches too wide. I'd like to narrow it. Anyone on here have any experience with this type of front end? It has a transverse leaf spring underneath. Can I get a shorter spring made? Maybe convert the shocks to coilovers instead? Any advice would be appreciated...

Attached Files:

2. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

If you want it in the weeds, you could do a drop tube axle at almost any width you want. A 4 bar and a set of coilovers. If you want it to sit up a bit, the same setup but with a straight tube axle. I'd resist the urge of working with that Opel front end. Narrow it enough to make it work and I feel those short arms would be too short.

3. I had the Opel front suspension in an Anglia street rod project years
    ago, I do not remember the rotors sticking out inside of the front tires.
    Do you have a spacer or adapter on the brake rotor? Do you have a
    fiberglass nose or a original steel one? Many of the glass noses were
    made narrower than stock to help cut through the wind.
    Check with the guys at the Opel GT Source in Tuolumne,Ca they can
    have most of the parts available and I'm sure can answer any questions
    you might have. Tel (209)928-1110

John

4. Hi... The brake rotors are what was on it when I got it, so I don't know if they are stock or what. The hub on those things does stick out pretty far. I have a fiberglass nose for it, the dimensions appear to be stock. Maybe there is a different hub/rotor that will work with that spindle that would bring in the track width. Thanks for the tip on Opel GT Source..

5. MGene

MGene
    from iv cal

why not use the stock axle

6. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

Stock axle is pretty weak. If it is going to have more weight on it like a v-8 and see street use it wouldn't be the safest thing in the world. Been done in the past, but there is a reason why most cars don't use them today.

DC

7. The plan is to race it, so I want something pretty stable in there.

8. perrytudor32

perrytudor32
    from uk

its not an opel front end,its a vauxhall ha viva,built a couple of cars using this,very common set up used on these cars over here in the uk.you can get after market set ups now,much nicer looking and more robust,need more info pm me,phil.

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I installed an Opal Kadett front suspension (narrowed it 2.5") in this Thames 30 years ago, narrowed the spring to match. I think you would be better off with a dropped tube axle and 4 bar, as Jeem suggested, it will give you standard parts to deal with, along with making it like a old Gasser. The opal is a good unit, if it fits the application (without modifications), we put one under this little truck about the same time, it works fine.

Attached Files:

10. While I like the dropped staight axle idea, I also like the rack and pinion steering on this, plus I already have this so I'd like to try and make it work. Did you have any bump steer issues after narrowing? How did you shorten the spring? Just cut off the ends? It looks like I can notch the frame and then just cut several inches out of the crossmember to get the right width.

11. 10secterror

10secterror

Who sells the best tube axle for an Anglia?

12. xftcyrpz

xftcyrpz
    from london

so I want something pretty stable in there.[​IMG]

13. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

I had mine made from Fast Times out of NY. I have yet to install it, but it looks great. If you would like contact info for them, let me know.

DC

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Aren't Vauxalls just the British name for what is called an Opel in every other country?
    the

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I narrowed it 2.5" out of the middle of the c/m, the bump steer change was minor. In your case, it sounds like you will need to narrow it quite a bit more, you will probably have to find a suitable replacement rack, like a Sweet or Stiletto. The problem with that, is most aftermarket racks, are for a rear mounting. As for the spring, you should use coil/over shocks, good luck with your project, keep us posted!

16. Thanks for all the input, guys! I'll update or start a new thread as I get things done. I'm going to build the roll cage and rear coilovers first, then tackle the front end..

17. Just thought I'd update this thread a little. I installed a Jegster cage in the car and then put in the coilover rear shocks. I'm probably going to do the aluminum tubs next and floors after that. I still need to get to that front suspension.... I think I'm procrastinating, lol... Here's a couple of pics.

Attached Files: