Register now to get rid of these ads!

moving oil pick on a bbc...tips?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cktasto, Apr 6, 2013.

1. cktasto

cktasto

Hey guys,
    I'm going to need to modify the oil pan and the pump pick up on my bbc (see pics of the mock up) and was hoping to get some tips on how to move the pick up back towards the back of the pan. I'm assuming the tube leading from the pump to the pick up is pressed on?
    any advice is appreicated

Charlie

(wish I knew why the photos are flipped)

Attached Files:

2. MBog

MBog

It looks like you want to possibly drag race this car. Moving the sump forward could cause some oil stavation issues. What about moving the engine back 2 inches? Then modify your pan and make it a deep sump, or "C" notch it like the Chevy 2s. And yes the pickup tube is pressed in, but it is always a good idea to weld it as well. You have to disassemble it before welding it...

3. Yes it's a tight fit but you can usually get them in or out without much fuss.
    If get another pickup and cut/fit/weld the tubes to where you need them.
    Make sure there aren't any holes in the welds
    Modify the pan and think about some baffles in the pan

4. I think Titan or others make a cover/pickup that pulls the oil in from the very bottom of the pan, more or less in the centerline of the pump.

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Maybe something like this one, except this is for a SBC

Attached Files:

6. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

I had this issue on my 56 straight axle car. I used a 62-67 nova pan because I had one and it is a lot squarer in the front to give more clearance. Also you might try drilling the steering arm farther forward to give more clearance and try a different pitman arm on your steering box to move the steering forward.

7. cktasto

cktasto

thanks for the feedback guys. I'm happy with the motor location so moving it around ist an option (but one I thought I about). I like the idea of a longer pitman arm but I dont know where I'd find a longer one with the same spline design as the original 55' steering box...I'm open to suggestions on that! I looked at aftermarket pans and didnt see anything that came close to what I need to make it work...besides that they're a little pricey for my budget.
    My plan is to notch the oil pan to where I need it leaving plenty of room for up and down movement; and fore/aft as well. Then I'll figure out where the pick up needs to be and start welding/bending tubes to make it fit in whatever space is left in the notched pan.
    I'll post pics as I make progress.

charlie