Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 years in hiding type barn find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 42hotrod, Apr 6, 2013.

1. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

I haven't been around much for awhile because my current project plays into my age more than this forum. It's a 1978 4 speed Trans Am so not appropriate here haha. Anyway, thought you all might appreciate this one.

While on a call recently (I'm a Division Chief for a fire department) I was shown this by an elderly gentleman. He has owned it 40 years and he has never driven it. It has been kept indoors, the rear fenders are in the bed and it looks like some minor work and it would run and drive. It still has a flat head but I didn't look close enough to see which one. He traded it for a driveway he replaced concrete on a loooong time ago. No it's not for sale and please don't ask where it's at. I told the owner I would not tell anyone it's location. He was O.K. with me taking this picture.

I run into stuff like this from time to time with my job and I always repect the owners wishes as far as confidentiality. I never take a picture without asking and never share where something might be located.

It was stored in a barn for 30+ years covered up and was moved into a newer garage in the last decade. (He couldn't remember when they moved it in)

As the garage door came up my heart skipped a beat or three when I saw this grill staring back at me!!!

Just thought you might enjoy drooling on it as much as I did.

[​IMG]

2. jhaas63

jhaas63

Nice looking truck...

3. agrezy1

agrezy1
    from tn

cool find! but i hate it when they dont do anything with them and they just waste away...FIX IT,DRIVE IT,OR JUST SELL IT

4. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Just stay in touch with him. My dream truck!

5. Hopefully you will be the next owner,,stay in touch with him. HRP

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

7. Wish mine looked that good before I started. Chrome grill - whoa? Looks pretty cool - as previously said just stay in touch..... friend friend friend.

8. Future Stock

Future Stock

Outstanding scene size up there Chief!

9. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

Haha!

I was waiting to hear back from DEQ, it was a hazmat call unrelated to the building the truck was in. Very large, very old pressurized cylinder of Anhydrous Ammonia.

We were standing around and I commented on some of the cool old stuff he had hanging around. The one that got us talking was an old Nash grill hung on the side of an outbuilding. I told him I really like the older stuff pre-70 mostly and in true old guy-farmer type fashion,

You like the grill, come on over here and let me show you something..

But finding the 36 was NOT part of my 360 scene sizeup LOL!

The truck is VERY well preserved. In the 40+ years he has had it the truck has never been out in the elements. My "size up" of the truck is that it was probably nearly a finished restoration when he got it. The interior is near perfect, the paint on the flathead looked like it was painted and dropped in yesaterday, etc etc..

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice! Doesn't look like it's "wasting away" at all.

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors future project." Hotrod God

12. agrezy1

agrezy1
    from tn

maybe was a little harsh! just little ticked right now fixing up a 62 fairlane and found a guy that has five including a wagon that have not moved in 30 plus years in a field not much left so rusted out but few items i need.been trying for over a year to talk to him finally get to he says he will sell em all for 50,000 cash

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice truck and story to go with it, thanks for posting it. Bob

14. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

owning old cars and trucks can make you feel good. maybe it was his dads or grandpa's. people have their reasons for doing what they do.

15. Too many factors to criticize the owner here. Define elderly. To a 30 year old, a guy of my age, early 60's, I'm elderly. One project car I'm working on has been stalled for almost two years due to one participant in the build passing away and work constraints, 5-7 days a week 10 hours a day average. Add upkeep on a house and just plain screwing off takes up what's left. But last night actually got some wrench time in, floor pan installation. One step at a time I guess.

Between the two bikes last year I only put on 500 miles. Five years ago that was about a week and a half's riding just to work and back.

Maybe sitting there gives him hope. Hope of what.....? Only for him to determine. If he gives up hope, all is lost for him.

16. jpnewlin

jpnewlin

Beautiful truck. That is a long to time to sit around.

17. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Great truck !

18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Very nice truck. Sounds as though the owner is smart, too. He's keeping it in the dry, preserving it for when he gets ready to use it or pass it on to the next caretaker. After all, that's all we are, caretakers. We take care of these old rides until we're gone, then somebody else takes over. Much better than leaving it out to the elements to rust down to the earth....

19. Fenders

Fenders

Yah... neighbor recently died leaving 300+ vintage motorcycles in his barn... maybe he drove two or three time to time.... the rest never seen by anyone.... but he must have enjoyed just having them....
    At least he preserved them....

20. zjerry

zjerry

Nice Looking truck..

21. b-bob

b-bob

At least it isn't sitting out in the weather, going to hell.

22. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

It really is amazing how well it has been preserved.