Register now to get rid of these ads!

broken gas tank line fitting help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by peter schmidt, Apr 6, 2013.

1. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Dropped the tank on the hudson yesterday thought it was empty but turns out the rubber they used to isolate it from the underside of the trunk floor was just stuck to it so of course it dropped when i wasent ready and spilled some nasty stale gas all over ne and broke the feed line off at the weld into the tank. my problem is i dont know how to fix this without welding it and im not real comfortable doing that.any sugestions? The tank is not factory but its a well built home made job but id hate to have to buy a ned one over just that line

2. Take it to your local radiator shop,,most of them have huge vat tanks and it would be wise to let them dip it overnight in the hot tank to desolve and remove any sludge,,let them repair the fitting while the tank is in the shop. HRP

3. Partsman2012

Partsman2012

The only fuel tank I've had to patch was done at a radiator shop.

4. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Ok ill start looking for a radiator shop and get sone pics

5. Almost a guarantee that it's soldered.

Cosmo

6. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Also look for a sheetmetal shop,they use solder to make some of their vents and stuff,some of the guys who work there are pretty good at soldering,since they use a hot stick,no flame,the tank doesnt have to be so clean,i had one of mine done at a local shop that way. Harvey

7. jkeesey

jkeesey

I dont know where you are in Maryland but i use Dicks Radiator up here and they do a fantastic job. It will most likely not be a 100% fix but you could also use a permatex gas tank repair kit.

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

What is the tank made of? What kind of shape is it in? If it is plain steel and/or rusty might as well go shopping for a new one.

9. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Its not soldered its a home built sheetmetal tank its clean as ive ever seen inside. it held up pretty well broke just after the weld i went and bought some gas tank sealant stuff and a double barb brass fitting lathered it up with the seal all and drove it in with a hamner its 1/4 inch inside diameter so hopefully that will be enough. i think it will work but time will tell i guess ive used the seal all stuff before and it saved my ass when i backed into crooked parking block at work and it ripped the drain plug out of the tank on my mustang hopefully it can save my ass again. heres some pics i decided to go this route because it was cheap and this tank is a little big so i may switch to a smaller less tall tank in the future anyway for ground clearance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Good luck withat shit

11. I am going to agree,,it's like putting a band aid on a bullet hole. HRP

12. 51hornetdude

51hornetdude
    from denver

It may seem like an obvious question, but have you tried to find a Hudson gas tank?

13. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

That joint needs to be 100% air tight now and as long as you use it. ANY tiny little air leak and your fuel pump will not pump fuel.

14. If that fitting is on the bottom of the tank, you'll know pretty soon whether she'll hold.

Cosmo

15. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

No theres a metal tube that runs down to the bottom of the tank that they left sticking out to use as the fuel outlet thats what broke i think it will be a tight enough fit i used the sealer and i had to smack it pretty good to get it all the way in and like i said its only gona be temperary until i get a new tank the cars not even on the rd yet i cant drop 2 or 300 on a new tank i have other financial priorities if it works it works if not im only out 6 bucks

16. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Did you try a NPT tap in that hole?

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That is the scariest repair I have seen in a while. You realize that you are dealing with gasoline here, don't you ? Stop screwing around and take it to a radiator shop as the guys suggested and have a proper/safe repair done.

Don

18. jkeesey

jkeesey

Hit up carlisle in a few weeks and you can get a new tank for around $20

19. Muttley

Muttley

Looks like an OlSkoooooolRodzzzzzz tech article.

20. Cruiser

Cruiser

Very poor repair, it's gas your dealing with here, you shouldn't do Mickey Mouse repairs. Like the guys say, take to a shop for repair or better yet get a new tank. :(

CRUISER :cool:

21. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Even if it weren't broken that tank doesn't look real swift. Kinda cobbled up from the picture. Do yourself a favor and spend a few bucks to get either a replacement and have it boiled or buy an aftermarket tank.

Most of us are on budgets but there are times when spending a few bucks just has to happen to make things right. Steering, brakes, and fuel systems are places where you do not want to skimp.

Don

22. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Allright u guys got me convinced i wont bother putting it back in wasent gona run it on the street anyway . Just wanted to get the car running and work the bugs out. Guess ill start saving fir a new tank

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'd wire bush the shit out of it and solder that barbed fitting into place. I'm cheap and repairing is more my style than just replacing everything. I don't believe in the throw away economy. Probably not a job for a novice but not an insurmountable obstacle either.

24. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The inside of the tank has to be as crappy looking as the outside. If you're doing this on the cheap, spend some time scrounging in a wrecking yard and find a tank that'll fit the space. A nice clean poly tank from a late 80's thru early GM full size car would be my first thought, that's what is under my 48 Pontiac.

If you're just trying to get it running, use a boat tank, not that rusty mess you have.

Brian

25. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Thats the thing this tank is spotless on the inside but oh well it would have been a little to tall anyway since im going to lower the car. i may try to find a mustang or falcon tank to use since there pretty flat i cant seem to find a company that makes a replacement tank and im sure there pricy.

26. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

65 to 68 Mustang tank new with drainplug under a $100.00
    http://www.cjponyparts.com/fuel-tank-with-drain-plug-1965-1968/p/FT2/

Don't know where in Maryland you are, but they may be close enough to you that you could drive and pick up, looks like free shipping on it anyhow,
    Brian

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If you do decide to do any torch work on it remember that the fumes are more explosive than the gasoline itself. :eek: Any remnants of gas fumes have to be scrubbed and scrubbed out before any ignition source is put near one.

Don

28. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Purge the oxygen from the tank with argon and silver solder that brass hose connector in …. your done

29. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

clean up area, fill tank with water, weld on threaded fitting, done. simple. easy. not a whole lot to discuss.