Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. koolkemp

koolkemp

I know what you mean about putting lots of time into a trunk lid! I redid alot of mine over the last 2 weekends but it was worth the extra time invested! You are coming along great Eric the first drive is getting closer for you!!

2. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Steve. But before I mounted the inner trunk lid, I decided to change the position of the fuel cell. I had made some brackets last year, so the tank could be placed underneath the parcel/hat shelf. But after thinking about the safety aspect more and more, I've decided to place it in the trunk. (and cutting up my trunk floor!!!) Placed some blocks of wood underneath and it's sitting at about the right height now.

Sorry about the excited rambling Steve, I'll post a few pics of the mounted inner deck lid soon.;)

Attached Files:

3. 1959apache

1959apache

They went through several styles of trunk lid hinges. I have had parts cars with both. My coupe has the old style for 1940, mid-year they swapped to the hidden hinges.

below is a picture of the visible hinges on mine (picture is from a long time ago):

[​IMG]

Your hinges, anythinggm, are the newer style for 1940, but they are not supposed to be welded, obviously

4. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

Good thing you changed the position of the gas tank. Safety first I say. I haven't checked out this build for a few weeks and I'm enjoying the progress your making. Going to be one killer ride there in Europe!

5. farmer12

farmer12

Sanded the top of the inner deck lid and gave it a fresh coat of primer. Mounted it in position and it fitted quite well. Still need some minor work in the right lower corner and a change in the radius of the bottom part will be required. I didn't expect it to fit perfectly on the bottom, as a lot of heat from welding has distorted it slightly. It's only a few millimeters, but still will need to be rectified in order for the top deck lid to fit perfectly. More next week.:D:D:D

Attached Files:

6. daliant

daliant

I think you win the "business coupe with no trunk space" award, that tank eats up a lot of room. Looking good on that inner trunk lid.

7. farmer12

farmer12

Let me clarify the reason behind the decision. (I did think about it.:D)

You're right, the trunk space has been reduced. On the other hand, the space underneath the hat/parcel shelf has been drastically increased. Obviously the cell is no longer there and I'm now able to remove the frame I built for it. Now considering the cell is halfway lowered in the trunk floor, the overall available space has now effectively been increased. Not to mention that the weight distribution has now improved and last but not least, the safety aspect of not having a fuel cell in the passenger compartment.

Sometimes sacrifices need to be made to improve others aspects.

8. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Could you now find a flatter fuel tank and mount it under the trunk floor as Mother Mopar intended?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. 1959apache

1959apache

Yeah, we want to see you build more stuff :D:D:D

Come on Eric, you can do it!!!

10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just put a Tanks, Inc. tank underneath my floor but it doesn't have the capacity that you have. With that thirsty 392, you will need it! :)

11. farmer12

farmer12

Trust me, I've been looking on the internet all winter. From where the sheet metal covering the c-notch to the rear cross beam on the chassis is only 13 inches. This the flat surface I can work with. The only option was a 9 gallon fuel cell that would fit underneath that. Mmmmm.......9 gallons and a 500hp 392 Hemi. Doesn't really work. On the dragstrip yes, cruising, no. I don't want to be searching for a gas station continuously. The cell I'm using now is 19 gallon, which should be sufficient. The down side obviously is that protrudes into the trunk. (about 6 inches). I can live with that. Sacrifices need to made at times.

12. farmer12

farmer12

Haha Scott, I think the fabrication part is coming to an end on this car. It's only been a bit more than 3 years.:D

With a stock floor, I would have done the same Rock. Unfortunately, not much of my car is stock any more.:D This means going with what will work best.

13. daliant

daliant

Yeah but now you won't be able to sneak anybody into the drive in movies.

14. 1959apache

1959apache

Same, at least we will be able to drive both of our vehicles this summer; I got my pickup shortly after yours I think. Maybe when you ship your coupe over here for a tour to show it off... I can tow it to the shows! haha

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hey Eric havnt looked in for a while, it's looking great and it looks like paint isn't too far away ?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

16. farmer12

farmer12

Just a few more weeks of work my friend and then the disassembly can begin.:D

17. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I'm glad you moved the fuel tank Eric. It made me feel a bit uncomfortable seeing it inside the car. My '56 F100 had the original tank right behind the seat, and even though I never smelled gas, it gave me an uneasy feeling.
    As far as I'm concerned, the only gas inside the car should be generated by beer and beans, and then sparingly! :eek: :D

18. farmer12

farmer12

I'm also glad I've decided to change the position of the fuel cell. Safety is my priority.

Started this morning with getting some steel from my buddy Jaap. Six hours later I ended up with this: a whole new support for the fuel cell. I'm going to weld it up tomorrow and test fit it all.(ran out of welding gas....) Happy with the progress today.:D

Attached Files:

19. IvarP

IvarP

Hey Eric, looks great again, also the spot for the fuel cell is much better for safety! keep up the good work!!

20. hemi v8

hemi v8

Thats going to look perfect in the trunk. Good to see you've moved the fuel cell. Keep up the good work farmer12. What an awesome build.

21. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks guys! Looking forward to tomorrow when I'll be finishing up this frame.

22. farmer12

farmer12

Got the bracket welded up for the fuel cell and clamped the top part in position. Then drilled holes through the trunk area and bolted it together. Then removed the excess sheet metal inside and took it all apart again. Then connected to lower bracket to the top bracket and bolted it in place. After a few test fits of the fuel cell and a little grinding, I was able to drop the cell in its position. Used the old fuel cell brackets, shortened them and positioned them over the fuel cell. Still need to drill a few holes here and bolt that together. The cell now protrudes through the bottom by 7 inches, at the same level as the bottom of the rear bumper.

It has surprised me once again the amount of time you need to fabricate something like this. Anyway, as I always say, another job done!:D:D:D

Attached Files:

23. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

24. gatz

gatz

25. 48plysled

48plysled

Looking great buddy. Hopin to start up on my build again here once the weather warms up for good. This up and down stuff is starting to depress me. lol. Instead for now working on the harley instead.

26. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you.

Thanks Gatz.

Thanks. Looking forward to your progress. I know what you mean regarding the weather.....

27. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Nice work Eric! And you're right, its amazing how much time can be eaten up by doing something that didn't seem would need much work at first. Are you going to use some sort of sealer between the new fuel cell frame and the trunk to keep the road dirt out?

28. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks OahuEli. The fit of the cell is fairly tight as it is, so I'm planning on just covering the side of the frame with a thin layer of rubber. The tank will then be snug in its position. Depending on the gaps, I'll use some sealant from underneath to keep the dust out. Thanks for your support.

29. 1959apache

1959apache

its looking good. I think your strip of rubber will work just fine. Man I am getting eager to see this in color. Are you still on schedule for the paint shop? What else do you have to do?

30. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Scott. I'm still on schedule but my brain is working overtime trying to think of other little things I must do before dismantling. The body shop is only 5 miles down the road, so I guess I can always go there and do a few things there if I need to. (they won't be working on the car full-time.)

Just finished re-working the 2 top brackets for the fuel cell. NOW it's done.:D

Attached Files: