Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Flathead headers for 1950 Ford Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hutch07, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Hutch07

Hutch07

I have found headers at both Speedway and Wirth for my 1950 Ford custom - Flat Head.

I don't know anyone who has piped dual exhaust out the back of one of these cars but there seems to be a lot of concern about headers hitting the steering box. Has anyone had good luck with either sets using stock steering? I am a good fabricator but would like to just bolt something on once in a while.:D

91013606 - Speedway Motors part number
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Economy-Flathead-V8-Headers,1727.html

608092 Wirth - Flathead Ford V-8 Headers
    http://www.wirthscustomauto.com/608092-p-headers.html

2. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I used the Speedway headers on a 50 I had several years ago and they cleared the stock steering with no problems.

3. butchbov

butchbov

Reds Headers has several options. I've had the tube (cheap) ones on my 49 for 7 years. They don't hit anything & didn't have to be modded.

4. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Fentons will fit and clear everything, and Red's sells the "plumbing" to connect to your mufflers. Red's tube headers are a good item as well.

Happy Flatheadin'... 4TTRUK

5. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

Red headers fit well . Jim @ reds used my shoeboxes for both fitment of his headers. Reds sells the complete kit

6. customrod48

customrod48

Fentons fit, no problem, to keep the pipe tucked up into the frame at the x-member, I cut a round hole on one side (don't remember which side the factory hole was on, drivers or pass.) to match the factory hole on the other side so the pipes don't hang down below the cross-member.

7. I have Red's and they fit fine . Actually the easiest header install i've ever done , but there is some talk about overheating the steering box and boiling out the lube .

8. FlattyForever

FlattyForever

I picked up reds headers for my 50 and the definitely make contact with the steering box. I was told to to replace my motor mounts and transmission mount if they are well aged which they are. I’m in the middle of doing this.

Also has anyone bought the header extensions or down pipes from reds? They are supposed to be custom fit like the headers but they are right in the way of my brake pedal action.