Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Guy from Sydney, Australia

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Graeme1938, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Graeme1938

Graeme1938

Greetings from Sydney Australia.
    My name is Graeme Louk, I am interested in old mechanical contraptions, old cars and particularly old racing cars. I have been a sometimes competitor in a variety of pre 1960 race cars but mostly a hanger on.
    That was until I finally bit the bullet and got on-board.
    I recently became the custodian of a beautiful old racing car that has a rich competition history established by skilled steerers in period and in modern historic racing.
    I am hoping that I can do her justice.
    The Cooper MG is a single seat circuit car based on a much modified Cooper Type 9 that was the first Cooper to race in Australia winning the 1950 Australian Hillclimb Championship. She has competed in Australian GP's and at just about every circuit on the East Coast of Australia in period being continually modified up to the end of 1960.
    After a major engine blowup at the 1953 AGP she was converted to front engine rear drive layout by Queensland racer George Pearse using an MG TC engine with a Marshall 75 blower, MGTC gearbox and MGTC diff housing shortened to allow retention of the independent Cooper T9 suspension. George Pearse enjoyed great results in this configuration until a major at the 1955 Australian Grand Prix when the front got airborne at speed and he and another competitor tangled. George never raced again.
    The Cooper MG as the car had become known was snapped up by speedway ace, Ray Revelle. Ray Revell is recorded as winning the 1948 Speedway World Championship but given that promoters in Australia made grandiose claims how much of the world was involved would bare scrutiny. Regardless Ray Revell was also 4 time Australian Speedcar Champion and 3 time New South Wales Speedcar Champion and a household name. Ray Revell rebuilt the Cooper MG and competed in it for the next two years. Probably his biggest change apart from a sloping nose to keep it on the ground was the addition of a Halibrand Quick Change rear end. Ray Revell didn't achieve the results he envisioned so returned to oval racing where he continued his successful career.
    Next owner of the Cooper MG was a rising star from Queensland named Lionel Ayres. Lionel Ayres rebuilt the Cooper MG building an advanced spaceframe chassis still with independent suspension. He took the MG TC engine out to 1500cc and fitted a larger Marshall 100 blower running at 22 psi boost drawing through a 2 inch SU carburettor with dual fuel bowls running methanol mixed with nitromethane and acetone. Lionel is still with us and in his own words it either finished on the podium or it broke something. In this guise the Cooper MG proved fast but a bit fragile. Lionel Ayres went on to become an accomplished driver in a lotus 22 and then a racer and builder of race cars bearing the name MRC. MRC's are still at the pointing end in historic racing. His giant beating performances started in the Cooper MG, leading and beating Maserati 250f, Jaguar D Type, Recently crowned Formula 1 World Champion, Jack Brabham, in his Cooper Bobtail as well as numerous other quick cars and drivers. Lionel Ayres says the brakes were the other limitation but he fixed this by fitting 1956 Fiat 1400cc 10 x 2 1/4 inch Alfin Drums and Cooper Bristol magnesium wheels. In his day Lionel fitted a new Crankshaft after every meet and used Nardi forged conrods with bigger Gudgeon Pins but still suffered Piston failures.
    The Cooper MG went on the race less after Lionel sold it as it became obsolete but returned with a vengeance when all historic racing started in Australia.
    Today the Cooper MG is as raced in 1959. 1500cc, 10:1 compression, Laystall Head, steel internals, Marshall 100 blower overdriven to give up to 26 psi boost, 2 inch dual fuel bowl SU carb, 3 mpg, MGTC close ratio straight cut gearbox, Halibrand H-201 V8 diff housing with a Limited Slip fitted, independent suspension by transverse leaf spring.
    That I guess is what bought me to this site - my knowledge of Halibrand Quick Change is just above nothing. The Cooper MG came with some some spares but with many broken diff parts, there are broken bits out of Detroit Lockers, Power Locks and a Torsen - all broken also broken axles and twisted half shafts. The chap I bought it off also had the original Culver ? QC centre that had been turned to metal confetti. I figured I had better learn about Halibrand QC's and try to get some spares because when I learn to drive I may find I experience the same failures.
    If anyone is interested and I can work out how too I'll post some photographs.
    Cheers, Graeme Louk Sydney Australia

2. fat57

fat57

G day mate sounds great