Register now to get rid of these ads!

Braising air ride fitting?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50bomb, Mar 29, 2013.

1. 50bomb

50bomb
    from Lodi CA

Done a few air ride installs and sometimes get couple minor leaks. We have braised fittings for air tattoo machines so why not on car??? Obviously would not braise fitting to valve just in case but maybe all others. Is this dumb? Anyone tried it? Any info appreciated. Like I said "just a thought".

Sorry "brazing"

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  2. 55willys

55willys

Silver solder is the way to go.

3. jimbousman

jimbousman

Silver solder is good but no reason you can't braise a brass fitting. It all depends on how good you are at braising.

4. fatkoop

fatkoop

I built industrial pneumatic machinery for years and if you are careful assembling, and use good parts, you should never have an air leak. If there is a industrial pneumatic company in your area, ask them for advice. They also have catalogs that really help design good systems. It is really no harder than plumbing a hydraulic brake system, and that operates at much higher pressures.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are having leaks, then I suspect inferior components. We have had cars stay full-up for several weeks at-a-time. All get Loctite 565 on the threads.

6. Braising is a method used for cooking meat. Brazing is joining two pieces of metal together.
    Spelling can mean the difference between "knowing your shit" and "knowing you're shit"
    :eek::D

7. Beau

Beau

I will add, braided sink hose from your local Ace hardware store has a 500 p.s.i. burst rating. They work great, they are cheap and they look decent. For the areas where you need flex.

8. i like cars & stuff

i like cars & stuff
    from Aotearoa

Thanks for the grammar lesson, i do appreciate it. (sorry for the thread drift to grammar though)

9. Haha good one, Carl.

Most industrial air supply systems are soldered copper pipe, so I don't see why braZing wouldn't be acceptable. However, like some of the others, I think your "always some kind of leakage" comes from poor prep or poor quality components (Chinese fittings?) or both.

10. MP4/8

MP4/8

There is absolutely no reason to have to braze air ride fittings. I also do air ride work. My current bagged ride starts to drop after a week and a half. The one before that was similar. That last bagged minitruck I owned once sat in my shop airred up for three months. All I seal the fittings with is either teflon tape or teflon paste. I would look into the parts you use, or your install methods.

11. jimbousman

jimbousman

Braising - Brazing Tomato - Tomoto! The question was can he braze air fittings. The answer is yes.

12. St. Louis Cummins

St. Louis Cummins

Loctite thread sealer works good. It gets my vote.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Nice to be accurate about how something is apt to be joined...Brass & flux VS Worstershire.

Thanks for using the correct verbage. Hold the tomatoes.

14. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Must be why I was getting hungry just now

15. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Had problems with the push-type fittings before.
    Replaced them with ferrule fittings. Solved.
    Some bags are too porous, also. Avoid the cheap kits.