Register now to get rid of these ads!

dual exhaust on plymouth 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corvairsixtyfour, Mar 29, 2013.

1. corvairsixtyfour

corvairsixtyfour
    from Pomona ca

so i have a 218 flat head 6 with reds headers and dual 1 1/2 in piping with one side straight piped and other with a glasspack, for some reason i get this sound coming outta the exhaust tips, sound like a exhaust leak around 500rpm but once you rev it the sound goes away but comes back once the rpms come down. also sounds like when you put your hand near the exhaust tip it makes like a swooshing noise sounds kinda like that. it pretty much only happens at idle. any idea what it could be? or how i could get rid of it

2. supervert

supervert

mine does a similar thing. i can actauly hear the sound change from the left/ forward to the right/rear as the rpms go up.

i am running two different length glasspacks

i thing its just because the engine makes different tones at a given rpm and with the unequal exhaust it going to make different sounds

3. corvairsixtyfour

corvairsixtyfour
    from Pomona ca

4. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

I wander if it's firing order from one pipe to the other. my question would a H pipe help? good luck

5. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

6. supervert

supervert

I think that's what it doing, and the pulses just even out of of idle

Mine doesn't sound exactly the same at idle, because I run 1-3/4 pipe and have packs on both pipes. Mine has a little throaty'er sound at idle, but screams when you get on it. I actually thinking of adding a h pipe to it. I personally think that it sounds a little honda-ish when I'm on it.

7. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

Cutting the pipes off at an angle like a slash tip might help...

8. hkestes

hkestes

here is a video of mine with cast iron headers, 2 1/4 inch pipe, short 14 inch turbo mufflers and a cross over pipe about even with the middle of the transmission.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxfKQ4KMM9s

9. ddonner

ddonner
    from nfs

No, because of the firing order, the exhaust impulse sound wanders from one side of the pipes to the other. I'm in agreement that an H pipe might help.

10. corvairsixtyfour

corvairsixtyfour
    from Pomona ca

so there is no way of getting rid of it unless i put a h pipe right? but then ill lose the rap am i correct?

11. supervert

supervert

how about a dump valve in the h-pipe. or even the electric valve hooked to a micro switch on the gas pedal.

idle= open h-pipe
    on the skinny= closed/ true dual

[​IMG]