Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hudson Invader Engine (AKA Hall-Scott)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Locomotive Breath, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

2. Zeke

Zeke

One of Spike's recent rebuild on a H-S

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Beautiful engine. I'm hoping to get a chance to visit Spikes H-S museum one of these days.

4. spike mc

spike mc

The above engine is going in a 1930 American LaFrance, chain drive fire truck
    its a 590 ci., 5" bore x 5" stroke, 240 H.P., dual plug.
    thats a Holley 4 barrel sitting up there.
    ( some of these engines had two-4 barrel carbs on them.)
    and like most gas Hall-Scotts, they get about 100 feet per gallon.....
    but what a ride !
    thanks for posting that photo

Spike

Never stop Thinking.

5. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Any activity on this??

6. DWBlietz

DWBlietz
    from California

I have 2 of them hoping to use in large and long speedster noting that some one could tell me the rotation rh or lh thanks and have fun DWBLIETZ

7. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

A friend here in central MO has a 1091 cu in Hall Scott in a 1952 FWD. I think it was a fire truck. It looks to be in great shape. He hasn't got it running yet. He has talked about putting it in a Cockshutt pulling tractor.

8. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

I sold the Invader engine to a boat guy in Washington state. The marine reverser uses a shared oil pan and is kinda integral to the Invader engine so converting it to automotive use was going to be really tough.

I still have two Hall-Scott 1091 cubic inch "400" truck engines. I'm also still looking for one of the dual 4-bbl Hall-Scott intakes that fits the 1091 engines, it uses two square bore Holley's and looks really cool. I have a Mack 2050 five speed transmission with .60 overdrive that bolts right up to it and already had a clutch made to fit it as well. Just have to figure out what to put it in. Here is a video of my 1091 running before I pulled it. http://youtu.be/BOBMerHf9DA

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  9. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

I did have an original Invader manual that showed how to tell if it was RH or LH rotation but I sold it with the engine and I can't remember what the difference was. I'll try and contact buyer and see if he can help.

10. daliant

daliant

Here's whats left of one, it used to power my grandfathers landing craft
    100_1288.jpg

11. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

You should be able to tell by the distributor, let me know, I'll 'splain it then. Mike.

12. 1960fordf350

1960fordf350
    from ohio

Cool thread. There was a big story about Hall-Scott in the Wheels of Time magazine several years ago. Before the company even existed, Mr. Hall I believe, built a V-8 engine in 1910! He also was the force that helped Packard develop the aero engine for WW I. H-S engines were used in some IH trucks in the 1920's also.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

What a great thread, missed it the first time around. I've had a few Hall-Scott gauges over the years, never found an engine. Bob

14. spooler41

spooler41

I think that the Museum of Flight ,in Seattle, has a Hall-Scott aero engine on display, in the Personal Courage Wing, WW-1 section.

.....................Jack

15. Normbc9

Normbc9

We had a 935 and a 1091 Hall-Scott OHV gas engine in our fire trucks. The factory was in Oakland, CA. All had dual ignition, dual updraft Zenith carburetors and ran like scared rabbits. BUT... maybe 1/2 MPG on 104 octane pump gas. the 935+275 HP; the 1091= 335 HP.
    Normbc9

16. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

1/2 mile per gallon. I was hoping for 3 :eek:

17. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

I heard back from the guy that bought the Invader. If the engine has a tag that says 169 (instead of 168) it is RH rotation. The starter rotation would confirm too.

18. gas pumper

gas pumper

When I was a little kid, the family had a couple of ACF-Brill city buses with pancake H=S and Spicer Auto trans. Really just a torque converter and lockup clutch. Anyways, these things I was told would get 3-4 mpg mostly never getting to direct drive, just slipping along in the converter, and stop and go from every corner.

You could get a lot better with a stick and highway driving.

And tuning a little better than was the practice 60 years ago, too.

19. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Here's a photo fo my Friend's '52 FWD with the 1091.

[​IMG]

20. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

And here's a photo of a Kenworth that had the 12-cylinder version. What a monster!

[​IMG]