Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 merc build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by desotot, Oct 9, 2011.

1. desotot

desotot

I have avoided close ups of the dash cause I am aware that for many folks it is sacrilege to make certain changes on a merc such as bucket seats, newer gauges, seat belts etc...forgive me for I have sinned.I installed classic instruments, these I believe were called , American Nickle, the had little chrome wings and curved glass and a nice color on the faces and followed me home from the parts store, what could I do.I had a problem installing them because they fell through the holes on the merc dash, after staring at the rubble heap for a while I mounted the speedo into the factory merc speedo ring, then I bought some gauges at the puyallup swap meet. These gauges were a 2 1/2" dia housing and my new gauges were a 2 1/8" housing. I carefully removed the stainless rings of the larger gauge and they fit behind my smaller gauges. This worked well because now they matched the look of my new speedo in the merc ring.
    First pic shows the large gauge with the ring removed compared to the smaller sw gauge which is the same size as the classic gauges.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I like the gauges. I'm planning to run some old buckets when I come a nice set.

3. Marman

Marman

Gorgeous Merc! Great work man!

4. JAWS

JAWS

Im so glad you are NOT building this for the masses to agree with..

Sounds traditional to me...

5. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Thanks for the tech on the gauges. I am also looking at Classic Instruments.

6. 49dreamer

49dreamer

Those gauges look awesome in there!

7. desotot

desotot

Thanks guys, the paint on the dash is pealy, I thought I could live with it but I can't so now I have to disasemble it again to repaint it.

8. bct

bct

dash looks great jack!

9. desotot

desotot

thanks for the kind words guys but my dash was out to lunch so I repainted it, seems like everything take to long to do.Here are a couple of pics of the gauge rings so you can better see what I did.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. desotot

desotot

I was able to put the dash back in today, I also blasted and painted my garnishes, so I have the w.s. and 1/4s in the car along with the 1/4 windows. I also got the holy cow straps done.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. desotot

desotot

12. JAWS

JAWS

just beautiful. This car is so good looking.

13. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Looking good. I also looked into Speed Hut instrument gauges for my 51 Merc. You can customize them by changing colors, font, bezels, and logos.

14. Janice584

Janice584
    from usa

Looks great. How much of a chop, 3 inches?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. tbauer

tbauer

Looking good !

16. desotot

desotot

2 3/4" chop

17. desotot

desotot

Well,I was able to locate a fairly decent Buick " ironing board "console , these were used in 64- 65 Buicks, these would have been bucket seat cars with column shift trans and not all the bucket seat cars had consoles, I really wanted this console because it had a fairly wild look about it and because it was an actual car part, not something that was fabbed out of wood , 18 ga steel or aluminum.This particular console doesn't particularly look like a muscle car console and is in keeping with mid 60's or older car parts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Console is a great idea and fits the overall theme. Bucket seats look like mid-60s Pontiac?

19. Totally cool console, I really dig it!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

20. b-bob

b-bob

I like how you made the rear quarter windows functional, instead of just gluing in a piece of glass there. You are doing a great job on it, taking your time and doing each step right.

21. desotot

desotot

I'm having trouble with the rear window fitting, I may have to rob the rubber from my other merc cause it fit perfectly, seems the Dennis Carpenter rubber is too large. Kind off hate to use the other one cause it's a few years old but I checked it last night and it still looks good. Guess a guy has to do what he has to do.

22. desotot

desotot

Well, I still have to change the rear window rubber but I did manage to get the seats done this week, as well as the carpet, console bracket, shifter boot and clock delete bullet. Here are some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Skirv

Skirv

The interior looks very nice.

24. amerc51

amerc51
    from Austria

awesome old school look, gret. fantastic to follow this thread from the beginning :) [​IMG]

25. farmer12

farmer12

Nice work on the interior, keep up the great work!

26. Loving it! Are you doing your own upholstery?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

27. tinmann

tinmann

Wow...... thanks for taking us along for the journey on this awesome build. love the Merc.

28. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Incredible! Thanks for the updates!

29. desotot

desotot

Thanks for all the kind words, the interior does seem to be taking on an old school look. I think the black and white vinyl color helps.These seats won't be as comfortable as some of the newer seats and lack a lot of adjustment but they seem to have the right look for what I want to achieve with this car.The hardest choice was to use vinyl instead of leather but again I do want to keep the old time plan as much as possible.This week I willl finish the door and kick panels, then I will start on the trunk, when that is done the chrome shop should have my grill and bumpers done.

30. Smokey2

Smokey2

Beautiful Merc, Been following the thread all along.....Your attention to detail is Superb. I've done two Mercs, yrs ago, and the little details are well
    worth the effort. Unless you've done one.....You can't appreciate the Time
    involved.
    Also, You were very fortunate to get the car you got........it was done right.
    I know you'll Enjoy. It's A Keeper fer
    sure. :cool: :cool:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013