Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs I need some advice or opinions on a rear window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frankie Bulldog, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Frankie Bulldog

Frankie Bulldog
    from Miami, Fl

i agree

2. Frankie Bulldog

Frankie Bulldog
    from Miami, Fl

thanks for the idea

3. Frankie Bulldog

Frankie Bulldog
    from Miami, Fl

i'll measure it, i'm big on traditional customs, but obviously i'm down and willing to go as radical as long as it looks good, ya feel me?
    just have a huge brain fart, i'm in between projects and once i do one thing on the other my design for the other completely changes lol! it doesnt help that i'm on pain meds 24/7 too, ha ha

4. Frankie Bulldog

Frankie Bulldog
    from Miami, Fl

aint gonna lie, its a huge thought that ive considered

5. Frankie Bulldog

Frankie Bulldog
    from Miami, Fl

this car was parts car, junker, all the glass was for shit, but the rear window, i'm took this in to go balls to the wall one off custom

6. Frankie Bulldog

Frankie Bulldog
    from Miami, Fl

Since ya like where she's going here's a pre-fitting for her new ass
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1346886130.005933.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1346886155.339487.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. SwedeVedette

SwedeVedette

I got really curious about the rear quarters, any updates?

8. Frankie Bulldog

Frankie Bulldog
    from Miami, Fl

Just fitted them on deciding the cuts and lower formation, seems the new trunk lid I bought is from a sedan so it's too small need a vert or hardtop trunk lid caus wig I feather the edges to the trunk lid lip but it mocks up real well soon ill have it cut down and posted

9. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

Take a look for a 40-48 Chevy or similar GM product ,with that much chop its gonna be difficult to use something with too much curve to it....what about a 37-40 Ford split window ?

11. carkiller

carkiller

I did a simular chop on a 53 chevy 20 years ago, Was going to use a 46 chevy rear winow cut but got to looking at a donar 71 Camero. Cut the back light area out and turned it upside down. It fit great but even that large of backlight rear vision was minimal. Sorry no pix. Cal

12. Frankie Bulldog

Frankie Bulldog
    from Miami, Fl

Thanks for the advice

13. Stupid question..... how about no rear window? Would it look ok with out one? You are going for the insane radical look.

14. Frankie Bulldog

Frankie Bulldog
    from Miami, Fl

Radical yes, but practical too

15. joseph.peter.carter@us.ar

[email protected]
    from USA

If you are going to be different in design and still thinking safety, how about looking at the design of a 1972 Corvette, a flat glass going vertically, boarder with side flairs. This action would drop the lower part of the glass into the trunk, which could be channel down the width of the glass and an inch or two lower that the rest of the trunk surface. You would have a rear tunnel vision window, but still have enought glass area to see out of. Of course, you would have to forget the wrap around design.

16. Frankie Bulldog

Frankie Bulldog
    from Miami, Fl

To be honest I'm not to worried about wrap around or not, but the bone yards out here are rough to find anything older but new cars so it's rough to find anything to work that's why I'm tring to get ideas

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

42-48 ford tudor or fordor back window?

18. Frankie Bulldog

Frankie Bulldog
    from Miami, Fl

I'm feeling it

19. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

Being from homestead I will say Ive seen some ridiculous stuff showing up on this board from my home state. 20's and slammed rides with no thought and no tradition, jumping in head first without a decent plan or referrence. Is there enough room for your hand to clear the roof when you turn the steering wheel? anyways, if you want this chop to turn out right alot of the windows guys are suggesting are not going to look good, The rear window tray area needs to be moved forward. The area between the top of the trunk and the bottom of the window gutter needs to be extended. If you dont compensate for the rear pillars moving forward when you lowered the roof, you are gonna end up with an excessive long slant roof line and to date I have yet to see a chopped chevy that looks good this way. In the end you are gonna have to purchase a new reproduction rear window that is not tempered and cut it down, or run lexan.

20. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

since you are thinking outside the box with the chop, think outside the box with the window. Look around town when your driving around, or cruising the parking lots for inspiration. If you see something you like off an ot car, you can probably hack out a window frame from a pick and pull for cheap. Just a thought...

21. Frankie Bulldog

Frankie Bulldog
    from Miami, Fl

It's actually my intention, I'm dying to get this done already

22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Planning & execution is the key to good aesthetics and proportions. Personally I would have done things differently and retained OEM rear light and cut differently. Horse for courses they say. Hope you achieve the look you want.

23. TJratz

TJratz

x2!

24. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

X5, I don't think there's a thing you can do to fix it, no window from any factory car will fit in that messed up hole. Less is more is a credo lost on some of you young car guys who want to out rat rod each other.
    We all make mistakes and this is a mistake, you can probably find another roof somewhere. My 54 Chevy is chopped maybe 3" up front and 4" in the back.
    I had a hideous flat piece of glass in there when I built it, I was young, I didn't know what I was doing, but I eventually replaced it with a 1947 Plymouth window.
    [​IMG]

25. TJratz

TJratz

The saying,"Just because you can doesn't mean you should" comes to mind.

26. TJRATZ- way to contribute anything to this thread!

FRANKIE- what about the front glass of a 56 ford f-100.

27. TJratz

TJratz

Ok Ill contribute...how about a new roof...That would be easier than trying to make a glass (front or rear)from ANY car fit and work!

28. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I'll wait and see what becomes of this car, I love watching projects come together but I honestly cannot see how anything will work. When chopping a car the first and foremost consideration should be the glass. Anyone can cut a roof down, that part's easy.

I chopped my 59 El Camino to fit the windshield, not the other way around.

29. txturbo

txturbo

I say to make a metal template and have a piece of tempered glass made to fit it.

30. Frankie Bulldog

Frankie Bulldog
    from Miami, Fl

Car used to be a junk parts car, the Main reason for chop is trial and error, practice on severe chops the body has been sectioned 4inches too, nosed and shaved, besides suspension motor and interior is the chop and some metal work. I have considered a mail slot window