Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just what is a "Hokey Ass?"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36roadster, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Someone asked me what the HAMB stood for , and when I told them they said "what in hell is a Hokey ass?" .... and I was lost for words. We don't use that saying down here , so can anyone help? Or is this just another "Hokey assed" question??????

2. badshifter

badshifter

Hokey = corny
    Ass = ass

3. .......I think you just answered your own question.:D

4. Ever have someone make a suggestion to you that you thought was ridiculous? The suggestion so bizarr that you think your buddy is off his rocker, out of his mind. Well that is a Hokey thought. Ryan created this message board when the idea that people would want to chat over the internet was thought ludicrous, the thought was Hokey. Ryan did it any way, Thank you Ryan

5. hok·ey<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

[hoh-kee]

adjective,
    hok·i·er, hok·i·est.
    <o:p></o:p>
    1. <o:p></o:p>
    overly sentimental; mawkish: Two glasses of wine and he gets unbearably hokey; it's hard to believe he's a highly paid executive! Synonyms: corny, maudlin, melodramatic, cloying, goopy, mushy. <o:p></o:p>

2. <o:p></o:p>
    obviously contrived, especially to win popular appeal or support; phony: The hokey stories of his impoverished childhood always surface at election time. Synonyms: fake, false, artificial, counterfeit, sham, spurious. <o:p></o:p>

<HR align=center SIZE=2 width="100%">
    Origin:
    1945&#8211;50; irregular hok(um)

6. I will second that!!

7. roughneck424

roughneck424

8. jchav62

jchav62

One time a guy asked my buddy what the HAMB stood for and he answered "Honkey Ass Message Board". I corrected him immediately... he's not much for reading I guess. :) Some people's kids man....

9. lawman

lawman

I was told it is the kind of ass you get when dancing to the
    "Hokey Pokey" for years !!!!!!LOL

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

dont the rules here say, "No cuss words in the titles of threads"??

maybe ass is not a cuss word anymore?

Your gonna have to explain that to my momma

11. salf100

salf100

I thought it meant that for the first year I was on here just reading!!

SalF100

12. slowmotion

slowmotion

Hokey=Goofy, Weird, Strange, Different, etc, but not necessarily with mean or negative intent. Least that's my take on it. Whaddeyeknow...

"Man, that's a hokey-ass message board..."

"Where'd that guy find those hokey-ass wheels?"

13. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Just tell them it's the website that "weird donkey farmers" use to communicate with each other!!

My kid thought he was so cool when he learned that Ass was also another thing to call a donkey. He thought he could get away with saying ass then....oh to be 10 years old again!

14. cmarcus

cmarcus

My friend here at work asked the same thing when he saw me on the forum. I told him what it stood for, and he mis-heard what I said. Now he always tells me, "there you go bein' a Honkey Ass again..."

15. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

And whom might have that been? Hmmmmm.....

16. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Just a dumb assed message board. Only it wasn't so dumb at all.Turned out a whole bunch of like minded people are addicted to it, including me! BILL RINALDI

17. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

If you're lucky, he won't figure out that another name for a rooster is "cock".

18. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

i always thought a hokey was one of those little self powered sweepers the wife used to clean up small messes?

19. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

and I thought that Hokey is a game played on ice....

20. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

And Bitch is a female dog
    And Bastard is a fatherless child or a type of metal file

We have had a way of making perfectly acceptable words into unacceptable ones. How does that happen?

21. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I was a lurker in 1998 and I remember reading that Ryan asked the members to name this board...I could be wrong...your mileage may vary

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

If you have to ask, you don't get it. That's what I tell the uninformed.

23. Buckle

Buckle

Yes :D

Buckle

24. fleetside66

fleetside66

I always wondered if "assed" would have been more proper than "ass," but after years of deep thought on the subject, I arrived at the conclusion that "ass" does really sound better. ~ While we're on the subject, I always wondered why we are "HAMBERS," rather than "HAMBSTERS?" Maybe a hamster is too close to a r--? Maybe a logo would have been a beatnik inspired hamster driving a hot rod? Then again, maybe Toyota would have sued Ryan because they have the rights to sporty hamsters driving vehicles. It's a heavy subject.

25. pumpman

pumpman

My brother in law is a hokey ass. I knew what it meant right away.

26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I always refer to this place as the Jolopy Journal. most civillians know what a jolopy is.

27. fortynut

fortynut

The astounding thing about all this is that it could be the messages are sometimes a little hokey ass. Some are and some are not. Maybe this one. But, then and again, it's a taste thing. Traditional hot rods that follow the same old formula could be hokey and if they are, well call Hokey Mon, are you down wit' it?

28. I went grocery shopping while wearing my HAMB shirt. The clerk lady was serious and asked me, "Where do you get a Hockey Ass Massage?"

29. In San Fran if they had a Hockey team:D

30. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

format for the exchange of not too serious ideas...