Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

I enjoyed meeting you guys too. It's great seeing the Moonlighter getting ready for the strip once again, I can hardly wait.
    Anyone that ever saw that nova would remember it, definately one of a kind.

2. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Ah cool hopefully it will be recreated. BTW pleasure meeting and talking with ya the other day.

3. W O W ! Gene's story, Quain and all the incredible craftmanship, the wonderful fellowship, the H.A.M.B at it's best, history being made again... The Moonlighter coming back from the edge - man what a build!

You are all such an inspiration!

4. I think Paragon Plastics out here in California has light, blue also. I remember seeing it when a I bought the cobalt blue plexi fort car. 4 x 8 ft.sheet was $150.00

Mtn Goat and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. dmc3113

dmc3113

I just saw on facebook there is now a website for the Moonlighter. It isn't finished yet but you can access it at genecromersmoonlighter.com.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

I saw that too, I wonder who is doing it?

7. I saw the site this morning,,looks like Chris has been spraying some primer. HRP

8. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thanks to every one that has been a part of this thread for views and post it has now went over 100,000 views. I don't know what is normal on here but for the short time since it started that seems like a lot. We started the thread August 31 2012 but it didn't get many views until the work started the end of November. 99% of the views came in less than 4 months. Gene probably thought that the world had forgotten him and his accomplishments but this site, his induction into the hall of fame, all the people that have helped, and all the kind words that have been posted have let him know that we remember. Thank's again for making Gene and his wife Ruth's dream come true. ~Quain~

9. 31chevymike

31chevymike

To Quain and Gene Cromer - really psyched about the Willys historic restoration and my congrats to Gene's induction into the East Coast Drag Racing Hall of Fame! Thinking very seriously about attending the event, knowing how special it will be to see this car (seeing the build from day one on the HAMB), driver and all the people who donated their time to bring this historic gasser back to life! Hopefully seeing this car actually back on the dragstrip as well!!

10. chevydeucewagon

chevydeucewagon

HAMBr Airstreambuff has been kind enough to do the website for Gene. Looks like the artwork for Gene's shirts will be ready for a final approval by the end of this week. Things are really looking good on the Moonlighter. Thanks to everyone who has donated time and efforts to make this thing happen. Quain thought this would end up being a solo project but he has been pleasantly surprised!

11. This is one of the T-shirts made a while back,, HRP

[​IMG]

12. sbs

sbs

I've been acquainted with Gene for 48 years and he is the real deal. As I've told him, I could not be happier if it were my own car. He deserves this. He told me several months ago that he thought people had forgotten. No way! Gene, I can't wait to see you make a pass in that iconic hot rod!

Mtn Goat likes this.
  13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Please let us all know when the t-shirts are ready. Can't wait to get one (or two).
    :D :D :D

14. UncleDonnie

UncleDonnie

Ditto on the shirts, make sure their are plenty of 2XLs.

15. The shirt I posted were made last year for a few friends,,there are no more of these,,the new shirt design will be out soon from what I am told. HRP

16. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Thanks for the info, HRP, looking forward to the new shirts.

17. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Any chance the Moonlighter will be at Beech Bend Raceway for the Hot Rod Reunion?

18. Finally let the cat outta the bag!:D HRP

19. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Calendar marked! BTW I'm good for a T shirt.

20. AHotRod

AHotRod

Holy Cow ! 30-days from now? There must be an Army of Guys working on the car.

Can't wait to see the T-shirt designs :cool:

21. ROCKIT

ROCKIT

30???????

There's an April before May.

22. Ahh,come on you know they don't have a April in Florida!:D HRP

23. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The reason we chose the 25 of may at Greer is because that's where Gene did a lot of match races and we are having our Gasser group there for a race. Plans are to keep the car covered until just before first round of the Gasser race roll it to the line and uncover it to have the presentation and then have him drive it down the track for the first time in 40 years. The only way this might change is if Gene decides to enter it in the race but there would have to be some time for testing for that to happen but you never know.

24. elgringo71

elgringo71

Great job to everyone involved in the resurection of the Moonlighter! It is going to be incredible to see Gene drive the Moonlighter again. It wasn't that long ago that Gene didn't think that this was even possible but lots of people pulled together and made it happen.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  25. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

will all the gassers run that day?

26. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

We will have at least 12 period correct gassers there. We will run chicago style match race that way all the cars will get to keep comming back and run so there will be a lot of action. My guess is that Cromer will not be able to stand and watch so he might enter the Moonlighter for at least a few passes.

Mtn Goat likes this.
  27. TennesseeZ

TennesseeZ

Please tell me we ain't gonna have to wait 2 months for pics?

28. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

all the pics are exciting-----even that one of the dust on the floor [no sarcasm]

29. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

What happened? The only pic I can see is the 48 ford, it says you moved or deletet the images.

30. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

This thread has been way to good for this to be happening let me find out what's going on I have already sent a personal email but it's still not fixed.