Register now to get rid of these ads!

My horn has a mind of its own! Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chstitans42, Mar 25, 2013.

1. chstitans42

chstitans42

So I finally got my Chevy to drive. Check out the video here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oUeX-3f7Po
    While driving, the car honks with every turn of the steering wheel. I was pleased because I was thinking that I was going to have to chase down the problem with it, but now I know it is in the column its self. I am sure it is a common problem, but my '58 assembly manual does not have the exploded view of the column to show what could be broken. Any one know where to start? I am thinking it is some kind of broken plastic piece inside there.
    Thanks!

2. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Sounds like either the plastic insulator is broken or maybe the contact is corroded. Shouldn't be hard to figure out once the steering wheel is removed.

3. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

I would think in the horn ring itself. Maybe the contacts? Not sure how it is on ur ride but thats where id start. See it on newer cars that they get bent and loose. Hope it helps!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. That's any easy way to get people to look at your car....

Two types shown

Attached Files:

5. richie rebel

richie rebel

its grounding itself some were.........

6. chstitans42

chstitans42

This is the type of thing I am looking for. Anyone have one specific for a 58 chevy?

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, either the contacts under the wheel are grounding and honking the horn or the wire running from the contact to the horn relay is grounding because of a bare spot.

My bet is that someone has had the wheel off and assembled the horn pieces wrong when they put it back together.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  8. My '57 Plymouth would randomly start blowing the horn just sitting in a parking lot. Usually with a crowd around...forcing me to rip the hood open and pull the horn wires off.

Turned out the wire running down the column had a bare spot right as it exited the tube under the hood and anytime it contacted the column it would of course set the horn off.

9. These are the replacement parts. HRP

[​IMG]

10. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

My old F100 did the same thing. The wire was grounding inside the column. Run a new wire through the column, your switch is probably fine.

11. The early type uses the large spring, the sport wheel uses the flex plate and three screw, both are used on Chevrolets - 57-60 +.
    As stated above the early type usually will have a chafed wire in the column causing the horn to blow. The flex spring type will usually be put to gether wrong (broken sleeve) and short out, casuing the horn to blow.
    The rocket scientist is in the other room if you need him.

12. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

Model A's have a similar problem created by the wrong steering shaft being installed.

13. Mine would honk from the turn signal stalk hitting the column housing on turning one direction. Once I "finessed" the stalk, it didin't touch anymore, or honk at the wrong time.

14. Jimm56

Jimm56

The spring-loaded contact goes in a hole in the steering wheel hub. It rides on a metal ring in the top of the steering column. After 46 years or so it wears unevenly, creating a step that grounds out to the column. Replace it ( it's the white plastic cylinder with the spring-loaded copper rod on the left) and you should be good for another 30 years.
    Check the upper bearing, too, as long as you have the wheel off. They wear out, too.