Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lakes headers -again

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ragtop, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

I've been searching for the post about Lakes style headers but couldn't find the one I was looking for. I had bought a set of Patriot headers from Speedway and found them to be very thin and also had trouble getting a good looking weld. Something in the steel? or what - I don't know but I got pissed with them and ordered a set from Gear_drive since someone had recommended them. I must say these things are cool! The welds are incredible and Matt was great to deal with. If you're looking for a nice set of headers his are terrific. Thanks Matt!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  2. daddio211

daddio211

I'll second Matt's awesome work and service. Gear Drive www.lakeheaders.com is the best in the business!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

yah they really are.

4. pecdaddy

pecdaddy

Got mine yesterday.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Yea I bough a set from Matt about 4 years ago at the Lone Star round up. Still on my 27T, Great quality stuff. Gear_drive or lakeheaders.com And he is a Hamb alliance member

7. I'm sure he would appreciate you making a post in the hamb o dex,,always nice to see here guys are happy with their purchase. HRP

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yup, I think I posted Matt's info in your thread. There's no denying his work and attitude are top of the line!

It's been about 2 months and my headers and paint are still holding up.

[​IMG]

I was tossing a mental coin and Matt's headers being made to fit specific car bodies, sold me. Couldn't be happier and my buds dig 'em more than I do.

9. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Matt was at Cobo Hall for Autorama and I had a chance to talk to him. Good people! Excellent welding

10. Just so you know, they are made from thin gauge on purpose - you do not want a bunch of weight hanging off the heads with no support. As for welding them, we weld hundred just fine everyday, but you do have to clean out the lube that is in the tubes from the bending and forming process that is left on the protect them from rusting until they are welded.
    Matt does a great job with his hand built stuff and you might be interested to know that his tubing comes from the Exact same source ;) (No not Speedway)

11. JYPSEA

JYPSEA
    from Florida

Here'e mine, from Gear Drive. Great people.

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      514.5 KB
      Views:
  12. dragass

dragass

I bought a small diameter set for my hemi from Matt at the Autorama. Great product and very nice welds.

13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'm gonna have him do a set for my Stude powered T when I get that far.

14. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Don is right, I get my U and J's from the same place as them 90% of headers are built from 18g. I use a different cone than Patriot and I build the new 35/6 driveshaft style cones. We are 2 totally different shop worlds apart in the "header market" I'm a lake header manufacture and they have 100's and 100's of headers. AND NO we (me or patriot) dont use speedway bends!! Speedway now sells U and J bends from Taiwan they are up to .030" oversize and have a thick black wall coating on them and they weld like shit, even after ya clean the mill scale off. TOTAL JUNK!!

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

5 months and mine STILL look and sound great!

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Matt, what is the diameter of the large part of the 35-6 driveshaft style cones ?

Do you sell just a pair of cones if someone wants to buy them ?

Larry.

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You'll get a quicker responce by calling him. 651-485-8075

18. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Matt is the man for headers, bends, flanges, etc....