Register now to get rid of these ads!

San Francisco HAMBers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dunstan, Mar 11, 2013.

1. dunstan

dunstan

Are there any HAMBers in SF? And if there are, do you guys every go to each others' houses and offer advice on ongoing builds?

I'm not building a car like any of yours, but I think I'm facing a lot of the same problems.

I could really do with having an experienced hot rodder pop by and offer some advice now and then, but none of my friends know anything about cars. I too know almost nothing, so my build is something of a constant struggle to learn just enough to keep moving forward.

If you're in the city and want to throw some wisdom at me, I'm in Bernal Heights, and I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,

-- Dunstan

p.s. I searched all over but couldn't find a place to put this question, so I hope it's okay here.

2. LittleBritishCar

LittleBritishCar
    from Napa, CA

I am a few miles out of the city (Napa) and also building something totally different than the typical HAMB car - an MGB with a Camaro engine!

3. dunstan

dunstan

Oh, that is unusual!

I'm british, and while my friends had MGs growing up, I've only ever owned minis until now. My brother still has an old mini in Italy: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alastairorchard/8128018484/

Well if you're ever coming down to the city and fancy seeing my project, let me know and I'll tell you where I live.

4. 52pig

52pig

I live here, and work here for that matter.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I'm in San Mateo. Bill Carlson at Jacks Bar near Fisherman's Warf has build a few cars.

6. I'm in Menlo Park, building a '34 pickup

7. dunstan

dunstan

Great, well if any of you are going to be passing by Bernal Heights and fancy popping in, just PM me.

8. brendanhay

brendanhay

How's the Project coming? I'm in the Mission and might have some useful input.

9. dunstan

dunstan

Hi Brendan,

I'm just about ready to send it off to a body shop to get the frame straightened:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunstan/8591131022/in/photostream

I was thinking of using Avenue Body Shop since everyone on Yelp seems to like them, and they were friendly over the phone. They said it's hard to judge cost, but that it's $300 to set up, and a low end price would be $500.

Also considering Will's Auto Body, because they have even better reviews. I guess I'll see how the quotes match up.

As for everything else, I think it's all on track for now. Sean (52pig) came over and gave me some very helpful advice on scheduling things, so for now I feel good about the project.

10. 52pig

52pig

Glad you found a couple good places to check out. I hope for the best on the endeavor, gonna be quite the little run-about.

11. dunstan

dunstan

Incidentally, does anyone have a Bay Area company they'd highly recommend I use for the body work and paint?

I've been getting advice from Roy Brizio Streetrods for most things, but they haven't coughed up the name of a good body shop who can handle fixing up the body and painting it.

12. LFS11

LFS11

I'm a couple miles south in San Carlos building a 34 Tudor. Learning as I go as well. Tons of shops around. Brizio is pretty high end and do high end work as well. I'm on the road at the moment but I have some cards at home that I can pm you.

13. dunstan

dunstan

14. Milani autocraft in Novato
    Tell Joe that Rob from Russell sent you

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am rolling around here too. I don't work at home, but at the shop where I am employed, in Redwood City. I used to have a shop in Novato. Milani Autocraft is good.

What sort of paint job are you looking for? Mild? Wild? Something in-between?

16. dunstan

dunstan

Thanks Rob, I'll look them up.

gimpyshotrods, well first of all I want the frame straightened. Then the car has a bunch of bumps and dents, and old screw and bolt holes, and a very small amount of rust on it, so I'll want someone who's going to take the time to do some old fashioned panel beating work on it, to straighten everything out, and then weld in the small holes. Then I'll want the bottom of the car and the firewall coated with some kind of tough coat, and finally I'll want the whole thing painted in a single color, probably a desert sandy color (though I haven't decided on that yet).

Really I want someone to put in as much care and attention to that stage of the project as I'm spending on every other stage.

17. dunstan

dunstan

I'm going to visit Milani's on Thursday and see what's what. Thank you for the recommendation.

18. LFS11

LFS11

Dunstan, I'd connect with gimpy and his shop without question. That was going to be my recommendation...although g man you need a website man!!!!;)

19. dunstan

dunstan

Thanks LFS11! Gimpy, what's your shop called? Is it South City Rod and Custom?

Having chatted with a few people, and documented what it is I need doing, I think I just need a body shop, not a custom hot rod shop. All I want doing is body and paint work after all.

I visited Milani's today, and Joe walked me through everything. I think I'm probably going to go with them to get the frame straightened, and then, having seen the body work, he'll be able to give me a quote for fixing and painting it.

As an aside, the only workshop I've visited so far that was tidy and clean is Brizio's. Every other place I've visited looks pretty rough, at least to my plain-old-member-of-the-public eye. It really doesn't inspire confidence at all :/

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I work for Skoty Chops Kustoms, in Redwood City.

21. M.Edell

M.Edell

Lots of Bay Area HAMB members.

23. 90LXdiaz

90LXdiaz

im on the other side of the bay bridge, castro valley to be exact.

youl see me cruising in a 1953 Kaiser around town...

24. Pete Van Hoon

Pete Van Hoon

Never thought I'd here the word Panel Beat in the U.S.A.

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After hearing his accent, it appears that he's from across one of the ponds.

26. dunstan

dunstan