Register now to get rid of these ads!

american racing sport wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe King, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Joe King

Joe King

I have 2 wheels I use for my winter snow tires, on the back they say american racing aluminum sport wheel. The spokes seem different that a torq thrust maybe it's just me not thinking right. What's the real story?

2. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

how about a pic.

3. Joe King

Joe King

Ok.

Attached Files:

4. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

look like torq-thrust "d" to me.

5. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

If memory serves the smaller 6 inch wheel size were called Sport wheels back in the day. The 7 inch and larger were called Torq Thrusts. I don't know why that is.

The Torq Thrust "Ds" came about because the Torq Thrust would not clear the caliper on '65 and later Corvettes. D's may have only came in 15x7's. The shape of the Torq Thrust "D" spoke is much like the more recent Torq Thrust II's. Sometimes refered to as an eagles beak. Technically this is not a "D" which Torq Thrusts are often and mistakenly refered to as.

6. Those should not be used for snow tires, they are unsafe, send them to me.

7. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

Torq Thrust "D's" came in 15 x 6 and 15 x 7 in aluminum and 15 x 8 1/2" in magnesium. The 6's and 7's both have the same back space .............Z.D.

Attached Files:

8. Joe King

Joe King

Mine say 1 inch positive off set

9. 5w32

5w32

look like 15x6 torque thrusts , not d spokes

too valuable for snow use!

10. Weasel

Weasel

15x6s only were marked 'American Racing Equipment Sport Wheel' and have a really shallow backspace - 2 1/2 ins. All other aluminum Torq Thrusts were marked "American Racing Equipment". Magnesium Torq Thrusts were not marked.

11. nixtur

nixtur

I know that this is an old thread but the fact is that the (American Racing Aluminum Sport Wheel) was specificaly produced as an after market option for The 1965 Corvette. The 1 inch offset was to allow room for the vettes disc brakes. They are basically the same as the torque thrust just alot harder to find.
    I have a set of 4 - 15" x. 8" and have turned down offers as high as $1000,oo just because they are so rare!

12. Joe King

Joe King

interesting nixtur, I sold the van I use to use them on so now they are stored in the back room.