Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mickey Thompson 409 Power Ram Tuning Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by violet springs, Mar 22, 2013.

1. violet springs

violet springs

A friend of mine is using a Mickey Thompson Power Ram intake on a 409. He is running the motor on an engine dyno and is having trouble with intake reversion, when the throttle is wide open under load. The cam is a mild roller, it has 10 to 1 compression and edelbrock heads. It is a street type motor with no unusual or extreme parts. I was wondering if anybody here has had a problem like this using an intake with two separate plenums like the M/T Power Ram.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. violet springs

violet springs

3. region rat

region rat

Sorry, I haven't run that manifold yet. May be hard to get a response, since they made so few of these. I'll ask guys I know that have run them. Joe Sherman told me the manifold was worth 44 HP and adding spacers and 660 Holleys was worth another 22 HP. Big plenum may like a biggers shot and a longer shot from the accelerator pumps, just guessing

loudbang likes this.

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you run a balance tube between the carbs it will stop it.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I don't know anything about this. But on my Howard head GMC with a individual runner manifold and 3 holley 500 two bbls, I had to put velocity stacks on each throttle bore to cure the cloud hanging over the engine. Later I had an 1100 cfm Dominater and it came with the 4 stacks. I think that maybe playing with carb spacers may help. Or cam timing.

turboroadster likes this.
  6. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I have one that I have not run yet and was going to add balance tubes to the manifold and carbs both. Any thoughts? Thanks Gary

7. if he could swap manifolds and had no reversion with a different manifold it would rule out cam overlap and timing. Then he would know if its an intake specific ailment.

8. SimonSez

SimonSez

Reversion is pretty common with cross-ram intakes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cross-ram+reversion&

A balance tube should help - maybe try plumbing one between the carb spacers first and see if it helps before doing anything more permanent to the manifold.

9. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

My thoughts exactly! Thanks Gary

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was a wee lad, I scrimped and saved up for a cross-ram and a couple of Holleys, for my SBC.

A year-and-a-half later, I gave up, and sold it all, at a loss.

One of it's principle characteristics was a halo of fuel/air mixture over each carburetor.

I tried a crossover tube, too. Three different cams, didn't help, either.

In my middle-age, I am convinced that these can be made to work, but the resonance needs to be tuned, which you may be able to do, by experimenting with spacers.

The effective runner length and port velocity is key.

loudbang likes this.