Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Guam Crab Festival

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pup671, Mar 24, 2013.

1. pup671

pup671
    from Guam USA

We had a fantasic warm balmy Sunday cruising around the island of Guam. I'm fat dad will be posting pics.

2. Am visiting Guam and stumbled across a small cruise this afternoon. Thank you very much Jim for the ride down, and John for the ride back. All I met were great guys and welcoming to talk cars.

Attached Files:

3. Couple more

Attached Files:

4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guess old American iron is everywhere . . . cool.

5. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I know Hawaii has alot of old iron, but had no idea Guam was on the Hot Rod map. Very cool.

I guess if there's a U.S. military base, the Hot Rods will be there too.

Any more pics?

6. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

I spent a week in Guam in the early 80's and don't remember seeing any cool rides. I was pleasantly surprized when I spent the next week on Maui.
    Enjoyed Guam though, cool little island.

7. okiewelder

okiewelder
    from central Ok

The Navy has sent me to guam a few times and its paradise over there.
    One of the few places l have been that l miss.
    Oh and the people there love service people. Would recomend it to anyone.

8. I am stunned. I had no idea and never would have guessed that a small island in the Pacific would have any rods at all on it.

9. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spent two years there in late 60's working for the local gov't. Many times I wished I never come back to the mainland. The locals were great. Some of the best people I have ever met. No hot rods when I was there. I always wanted to come back. Maybe it's time.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I was born there and lived there until I was 6 and my dad was transfered. It's cool to know that hotrods are scooting around it.

11. fleetside66

fleetside66

I too am amazed that there is a thriving hot rod population there. As a Marine, my uncle was killed in action there. Here's a HAMB friendly picture of him somewhere in the southwest when he was working for the CCC. Is that a late 30's GMC?

[​IMG]

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Neat deal. Am I wrong, or do the Guam-ese drive on the right side, unlike their kin in mainland Japan? Gary.

13. TGallaher

TGallaher

I lived there from 1992 to 1994 and I don't remember any Hot Rods at ALL. Beautiful Island and have been wanting to go back for a visit for some time. Glad to see that there are Hot Roders Cruising Guam!

14. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They drive on the same side as we do on the mainland and they are not kin to Japan. In fact, they suffered extreme hardship at the hands of the Japenese military during WW II.

15. Guam is about as US Mainland you can get, just like small town USA but with more tanned people.. There is a racing complex here with a drag strip, round-y track and off road course. The fellas I met we're just a few of the island gear heads. In past trips here I have seen some very nice restored 50's cars and a couple of more hot rods. Of course the younger boys have their tuners and drifters about as well. I only posted the pics that were on topic and that we're publishable. In the caravan were a handful of nice VW's, a couple of Vettes, a first gen Camaro, and a Yenko Nova.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Jeez, I screwed up. I was typing Guam and thinking Okinawa. Duh. Gary

17. Kinky6

Kinky6

Yeah, that's a '37 GMC. Sorry to hear about your uncle.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

18. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This should help. It is U.S.A. Ron

Attached Files:

19. Lucky444

Lucky444

Hey imfatdad,

Cool pics. I guess I never thought about our Guamanian brothers and sisters rolling Hot Rods. Good to know.

Jason

20. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

Wow, I just had a strange feeling to type in Guam in the search field to see if there was any posts. I never would have figured that there was something so recent.
    I was born and raised there until I moved the family out the states. I sent 30 years out there. I was into the car scene and had a bunch of off topic cars and trucks, 4x4's and motorcycles. Considering that the island is a little over 30 miles long and around 10 miles wide at the wiest point, people never expect such a huge car scene out there. Shoot the best part and sorta the worst part to, was that you could drive around the whole island in half aday.
    Most of the older cars are kept tucked away and only brought out for special event like fiesta's or Liberation day which is our 4th of July. Between the humid conditions and the salt that is always present in the air, things can rust real quick if its not taken care of. Imagine the salty winter roads out east and then have those conditions everyday. Well maybe not that bad but you get the idea. Shoot, even stainless steel rusts out there!
    And to all the service men and women that have stayed or are currently living on the island a HUGE THANK YOU, for your service and help in the defense and liberation of our island. For the ones still serving on the island and the ones that might be stationed there, get off base and hit up a Fiesta! Try everything on the food tables but be careful of the red peppers. They are a tad bit hot!

21. I was stationed at NAS AGANA from 1960-62 and recent photos show the island has changed since I left. I've heard it is now over run with snakes. there was not one single snake in 62 and the cars we had were custom with a full drainage systems (no floors)

22. Special Ed

Special Ed

Citizens are known as Guamanians, not Guam-ese ... :rolleyes:

23. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Lived there from 1969 to 1971 and loved it. Tarague Beach was for the AF base people and I spent every afternoon after school there. I was sixteen.

We used to go down the the Naval base to watch movies outdoors on Saturday night and you could always go to Agana to watch the fishing boats come in and buy from the local markets. Heard it was full of hotels & condos now.
    The locals treat you like family and if they had a cookout, all the neighbors were invited.

Supposedly the snakes were introduced to help with the rodents and shrews and had no natural predator so they ate the birds and put out power left & right because they could climb trees and power poles.
    Now everyone is instructed to kill everyone they see and it`s getting better. That`s not gospel, just what a recent resident told me.

Beautiful place and I`d love to go back and visit.

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Wow, you were there when my dad was stationed there. I was born there in '59. I don't remember anything, but I have some great baby pics and my mom says my first words spoken were in Guamanium, due to my baby sitter being a natural citizen.

My brother got to stop on his last West-Pac. He said it was nice and also mentioned the snake problem. At that time, about 3 years ago, it was sort of under control.

I'd love to go back and hang out one day.

25. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

I spent two years there on anderson afb, loaded the first 52's that hit nam, thats how come i spent 24 months there they frooze me untill a replacement came.
    Like noname said no snakes, and if you had a car it had flow thur floors etc. It was really
    a pretty nice place but i couldn't wait to get the hell out of there.
    When i was sent there it took 24 hours flying time on a C-47,when i rotated back it took
    8 on flying tiger airlines.

26. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, No, No they are known as Chamorro. Ron