Register now to get rid of these ads!

Using Old Plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LilGTO67, Mar 23, 2013.

1. LilGTO67

LilGTO67
    from Nevada

I own a 49 Chevy Coupe all done up 50s style. I brought a set of original 1949 New York lisence plates. Im not sure if i can register these plates in NY. I would like to use these on my 49 Chevy. Do any of you guys have expirience with old plates?

2. Check with the New York DMV,,that's where I would start. HRP

3. I just heard in pa. they do not require photos for antique tags...
    I also purchased 1950 Pa plates and was curious about the registry.

Attached Files:

4. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

In the state of Ky. you can run the year license plates of your vehicle as long as you have your registration up to date and a registered speciality plate and they are both in the car in case you get pulled over by the cops. Check your DMV, either in person, over the phone, or on line. I'd get verification by two different people on 2 different days, if you call. Some times some employees don't know their butts from a hole in the ground. Good luck .

5. Here's an idea that I have not tried yet but intend to. If the vintage plates you have are pretty old I'm thinkin it's a safe bet they're no longer listed with the dmv. What if you just filed for new "custom plates" (or whatever you state calls them) with the reg number listed on the old plates you already have? When you get the new plates just keep em' on hand and run the old ones. I think the odds of getting you're balls broke over the old plates are pretty low if the reg. number shows up as current in the system, although depending on where you live things may be different.

6. GREASER815

GREASER815

In Illinois as long as we have antique plates registered to the car we can display YOM plates. Antique plates have to be kept in the vehicle though. It is not state specific, long as it is the YOM it can be any state.

7. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Ohio is the same as Illinois

8. Simple to find what is needed,,NEW YORK,, HRP

• D.M.V. CONTACT INFORMATION:
      New York Department of Motor Vehicles
      Custom Plates Unit
      P.O. Box 2775
      Albany, NY 12220-0775
      Telephone: 518-402-4838
      E-Mail : Through form on website

• SAMPLE LICENSE PLATE INFORMATION:
      At this time the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles does not sell sample vehicle plates of any kind.

YEAR OF MANUFACTURE LICENSE PLATE USE - Registration Allowed
    VEHICLE QUALIFYING AGE: 26 years or older
    VEHICLE TYPES QUALIFYING FOR YOM: Passenger, truck, motorcycle.

A historical vehicle is a vehicle that is more than 25 years old (a 1980 model vehicle qualifies for historical registration in 2006).
    Some vehicles that are less than 25 years old and have unique characteristics can qualify for a historical registration. The DMV determines if the vehicle has historical, classic or exhibit value.

A vintage vehicle is a historical vehicle and receives a historical registration. The registrant of a vintage vehicle can put vintage plates on the vehicle. Vintage plates are authentic New York vehicle plates that were issued during the model year of the vehicle.

MUST TYPES MATCH: Type must match on motorcycle only, but other types (passenger, truck, etc) are not required to match
    SINGLE/PAIR REQUIRED: Must be Single or Pair as originally issued
    REPAINTED PLATES ALLOWED: No
    MUST NUMBER CLEAR: Not stated
    NOTES: Vintage plates issued in or before 1972 must display the embossed year or have the original metal tab for that year. Make sure that the tab is attached and legible. A year sticker is not required to use the vintage plates. 1973 and later Vintage plates do not have metal tabs or plate stickers.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  9. zjerry

zjerry

10. sixbangr

sixbangr