Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Shoebox Dash Metalflaking + Hidden Radio Laid Off $0 build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Mr.Dickies, May 10, 2012.

1. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

Do you know what ordinance they are claiming? I did a couple of code searches and couldn't find anything entirely prohibiting it. If you were doing it commercially, that would be another thing. But as a hobby? The only thing I can see is that it might be required to be entirely enclosed from view.

2. olpaul

olpaul

I'm doing my 58 Chevy truck the same colors, midnite blue and metalflake top.

3. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

From the city
    Conducting major auto repair in a residential zone at the driveway and in the garage. 12.21A.1.(a) and 12.21A.8(a)

4. IWB

IWB

I've been checking this thread for a while now its always a good read and now this A HOLE starts this BS. He deserves some bad karma his way. I hope you get the stuff done in time.

5. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

8. Dismantling, Repairing and Storing of Vehicles – Where Prohibited. (Added by Ord. No. 137,210, Eff. 10/12/68.)

(a) No person shall dismantle, repair, or otherwise perform any work upon any vehicle, machine, motor, appliance or other similar device, other than to effect minor emergency repairs to a motor vehicle, on any property in the A or R Zones unless such activity is incidental to a permitted or a conditionally permitted use and is conducted within a building or within an area wholly enclosed from view by a wall or fence conforming to the requirements of this Code.

(b) No vehicle (except those upon which minor emergency repairs are presently being effected), machine, motor, appliance or other similar device from which any part has been removed, or which is inoperable for any reason, shall be stored, maintained, or kept on any property in the A or R Zones as an activity incidental to a permitted or conditionally permitted use except within a building or within an area which is wholly enclosed from view by a wall or fence conforming to the requirements of this Code.

Hmm, ok. I read through all of it and I see it's clear that what you are doing should be enclosed from view.

However, I don't see any place that totally prohibits repair. You aren't doing it as a home occupation. That would make a big difference. It's your own car. Is fixing it not incidental to the use as a dwelling? I think it could be argued that it is incidental.

I searched for additional information on auto repair. I can't find anything specifically relating to home / hobby auto repair. The sections of the code pertaining to it appear to be targeted toward commercial businesses and restricting them from operating in R zones except in emergencies. Which makes sense.

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=default.htm&vid=amlegal:lapz_ca

I mean, like you said, what if you decide to take up woodworking? What if you want to make metal sculpture? It's the same type of activity - cut, grind, weld - but it's obviously a hobby. If you put up a basketball hoop and start playing, that doesn't mean you are operating a sports complex. If you teach your child, that doesn't make it a school. If you host a barbeque, that doesn't make it a restaurant.

I don't see what in the letter of the law would prevent you from doing what you want, as long as you make sure it's screened from view.

Of course, the zoning officer may not see it that way. :rolleyes:

6. daddio211

daddio211

Agreed 100%. Sounds to me that if you have a gate to your yard, and what you're doing behind the gate can't be seen from the street, you're legit.

Gate party at your house this weekend? :D

7. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I have a gate that you cant see past. and you can't see me working from the street.

8. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I am fighting it either way. Thanks for the advice. Whats the worst that can happen

9. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

IMG_4147.JPG
    Look it's my shoebox inthe June Rod & Custom at Mooneyes! Next to former car club member Chris's Kaiser! Haha I posted it on instagram but here it is!

10. Ha...that's kinda cool. :)

11. daddio211

daddio211

Sounds like you're in compliance and well within your rights.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

12. EBW

EBW

As I have said earlier, if you need, let's get a few guys and knock some of the items off of your list one day. Wrenching.. BBQ... Beer... good times... and helping you get further along.... ALL the while keeping an eye out for your POS neighbor.

13. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

14. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

EBW thanks for the offer. I'm getting close. I plan to rent a spray booth soon to do paint. I am getting pretty close.

15. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Driver side molded in lake pipe
    IMG_1006.JPG
    Passenger side molded in lake pipe
    IMG_1007.JPG
    Passenger side full view
    IMG_1008.JPG
    Extra special thanks to the person that hit my car only 2 hours after priming the fenders and splash pan. Bent the bumper into the car so will have to reprime the splash pan. I guess I really need a new bumper now.
    IMG_1022.JPG

16. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Beautiful job, man!

People are shitbags.

17. Extra special thanks to the person that hit my car only 2 hours after priming the fenders and splash pan. Bent the bumper into the car so will have to reprime the splash pan. I guess I really need a new bumper now.
    Nice job.
    Getting hit? That's why i'm not going with fancy scmancy paint .

18. EBW

EBW

First ... Great job on the fenders.. That looks nice !!
    Second.. WTF ?? Someone hit you and kept going ? like a car? Or a pedestrian ?? damn.

19. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks good again and sorry to hear about that hit.

20. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I pushed my truck out of the driveway starter went out drove 3 blocks to Albertson's and parked way far away from anyone. Came out and the bumper was hit and touching body. The bumper was bent when I first got the car and the tow truck driver bent it getting it onto his truck. But someone helped it a little more and pushed it into the splash pan. I didn't have a car within 6 spaces of me when I went into the store and no one within 2 spots when I came back. Such is life can't fix it until after my city inspection so it's going to stay like that for a few days. I debated not putting the bumper on. I only went to mail the title out for the Henry J I sold and pick up so food. Inside maybe 10 minutes tops.

21. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

A little update on neighbor BS. So I got anothing non compliance letter in the mail. Said neighbor has been down saying I was back to full blown chop shop again. So the inspector came by didn't see anything. But office mailed the letter anyways. I get a phone call today from the inspector he asked where I was yesterday at 2PM I said my friend's house working on cars. Hmm he said he had gotten a complaint saying I was working at cars at that time from Douche Bag neighbor and when he got to my house I wasn't home only a Henry J in the driveway and no working going on. So he asked if the person I was with would say I was with him. I said he's a preacher I can 3 way call him if you want. He said no need that he already filed a false complaint report with his supervisor. So he said this case is 100% closed. If for some reason I get another non compliance notice to fight it again that it will go to the city attorney office where they have the record of false reports from police department, fire department and now them. That the city attorney would then give me what's called a restoration waiver to work on my car at my property. Inspector said it's almost worth getting him to complain to have it go to city attorney office to get waiver. He asked if I ever thought of building a carport and rear storage area and work on car in and under it. He said he thought for sure he was coming to my house yesterday to see chop shop going in full force. So for now it's over. Now time to finish my wife's 51 Chevy and my Ford!

22. daddio211

daddio211

Makin' lemonade! That's about as good of news as you could have received!

I think I'll bring my Shoebox down there next week and we can chop it, drop it, paint it, and fire it up with no exhaust for a few days. On his front lawn!!!

23. EBW

EBW

Good news ... I think

24. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Yes good news because now I have proof that I was't doing what he said I was doing and got caught in a lie.

I'm down. My wife's car is ahead of all other's.

25. msalamanca

msalamanca

Yeah I was thinking, lets get as many cars there as possible and all work on them. His head will explode

26. daddio211

daddio211

I'll unplug his internet feed while there so he can't "game" like adults tend (not) to do. :D

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

27. gregaustex

gregaustex
    from Austin

subscribed! I just read all 15 pages and I've got to keep an eye on this! Man you are one patient dude and "the better man". Props to you.

Oh, and I like following your shoebox build also. You're a helluva craftsman.

28. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Thanks guys! I have been doing little things like building door & kick panels and package tray. The seats are off getting done and should be back next week. The origanal plan was to have my Mom help me do the interior but she had open heart surgery a few months ago and doesn't feel up to traveling yet. I can sew but feel this is something beyond my skills without her help. I was going to mount the bumper I made to see if I still like it before I have it rechromed. I'm also helping the guy the next block over with floors for his 56 Chevy. They had flat pieces and the flat pieces are all rusted out so I'm helping him do them the right way. HJ is back to flat black again after 4 years. I did it for the inspection to look less of a parts car and more like the running and driving cars it really is. I don't care if people hate on it. I painted it 10 years ago with John Deere Blitz black. Body is still JD BB but fenders doors and hood are Semi flat black but match almost perfect.
    IMG_1197.JPG
    Tyler next to his car! Yes it's his car. But then again so is my junkie truck and the shoebox some days it's Daddy's car other days is Tyler's hot rod car. All cool cars are hot rod cars accordng to him. He just turned 2.
    IMG_1198.JPG
    Park job by Mr. Tyler couldn't have gotten much closer! Now you can see how low the shoebox really is. The HJ is 5 inches lower than stock and bumper still sits higher than shoebox.

29. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

Love it looks great Rog

30. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Been doing the little things.
    Made door panels so that it's less $ to have them done.
    IMG_1342.JPG
    Since my killer fan isn't doing it's job of cooling me off on the 90' days lately I did
    IMG_1343.JPG
    This! It's the reflexix insulation to see if it makes the peal and seal less burning to the touch. I burned my hand touching it for real car had to be 120' inside when I opened it. Seems to be helping. Now fixing the timing issue and move on to the trunk panels!
    IMG_1350.JPG