Register now to get rid of these ads!

converting a torque tube reaer end to open

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BRQ4suzyqkustoms, Mar 20, 2013.

1. BRQ4suzyqkustoms

BRQ4suzyqkustoms

We are building a 1954 buick super kustom. we are slipping a newer motor and 700r4 trannie up front. I would like to retain the factory rear end, however need to convert to a slip tube yoke. has anyone done this? or is it easier to swap the entire setup ?

2. snowman

snowman

Yes people have done it and it's personal preference/skill level as to which is easier.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Have heard the 61 - 62 Buick full size uses the same rear axle as the earlier models but with open drive shaft. If you can find a complete differential assembly it should be a bolt in swap to your car.

4. BRQ4suzyqkustoms

BRQ4suzyqkustoms

Thank you so much gentlemen. I will start checking craigslist for a donor car. In the meantime I will fabricate a new support for the rear linkage to the frame rails.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The usual method of locating the rear axle is with radius arms off a 67 - 72 Chev 1/2 ton. If they are scarce where you are you will have to make something up.

6. A 61 or 62 diff centre section will fit a 56 or later housing, but from what I have read, prior to 1956 had a different rear axle housing. A complete rear axle from a early to mid 60s Buick may work using truck arms or similar to locate.

Lots of info and knowledge here on The Hamb once you start searching.

Ross