Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scored a Burns manifold off Craigslist today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jim1932, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Listed as a "Vintage Ford Manifold" It is an old one, his father had it for 30 years he said. looks a little odd because he sandblasted it to "clean it up".

Attached Files:

2. bonesy

bonesy

3. Steel A Rod

Steel A Rod

4. Although my 32 tudor is a bone stock car, I am trying to accumulate the pieces to mildly rod it when I get bored. A dual carb set up and some artillery wheels should do nicely.

5. magneto57

magneto57

Lucky fined.................rich

6. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

7. Good score! I picked one up a little while back...kinda wished someone hadn't installed a vacuum port in the middle of the "R"!!!!

[​IMG]

8. So for a stock B motor, what would be the recommended Carbs to run on this? I know the 81's are the most popular, but I tend towards the less common.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  9. From what I've read, (I'm new to this banger stuff) the carb of choice is the Stromberg 81. I can't afford 2 of them, so I'm going with 2 Holley 94's as I have several and can afford to experiment with them. I'm hoping I can jet them down and maybe run "restrictor plates" to reduce the CFM's to the engine.

I've seen several other carbs applied. Another option I'll look into if the 94's don't work, is I've seen adapters that will mount 3-bolt 94/97-type carb bases to 2-bolt one-barrel manifolds. If you flip the adapters over, you can mount 2-bolt carbs to 3-bolt manifolds. Maybe......

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have a Burns valve cover. Anyone know the history for Burns?

11. Jim,

Congratulations on that SuperBowl Win ... ;)

Nice CL score !

Jim

12. lht

lht

i never find good stuff on cl

13. Hey Skid,

These L-6 carbs you mentioned....were these suggested for me or the OP? Seems two of these would be overkill for a banger, too! Glass bowls WOULD look cool on that manifold, though! :D

14. anyone have photo's of one of these set up?

15. aircap

aircap

Righteous find!

16. Nailhead Jeff

Nailhead Jeff
    from fresno

Run the 2 94's. I ran 2 on an otherwise stock Model A engine. 53 jets and 3.5 power valves. It worked great.

17. Thanks, Jeff! I knew somebody must have ran this setup before! Did you have to restrict the airflow at all? Also, did you set them for straight or progressive throttle linkage?

I was planning to cut some spacers out of 1/2" aluminum, drill 7/8" holes, then blend them to "port match" the carb venturis. Would this help at all?

18. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great find. It is nice when something gets into the hands of someone that is going to do something with it.
    I'm still learning and I tried a set up that someone gave me (a great score) as he is a bowtie guy and it is a Burns intake and model 81 carb, not bowtie kind of stuff. I'm at 7000' elevation and that is a problem also.
    The single 81 isn't enough carb and I was trying to figure all this out for myself. I got to learn something that someone else already knew. I stumbled on to a web site 'Mr Stromberg'. They have a CFM calculator. Just using their default for volumetric efficiency the single 81 isn't enough for a 200 CI 'B' motor at 3500 rpm ...if I had gone there first. The calculator tells me that the engine requires roughly 168 CFM. This closer to a 97 or even better yet a model 48.
    My understanding is that the 81 does about 125 cfm and a 97 does around 155 cfm and the 48 about 170 cfm.
    I all of this is X2 for a dual carb set up I suspect.
    Now I have a dual carb set up for the 'B' motor with a different head and cam so the VE changed. I have dual 81's on it now and it runs really well but rich at this altitude with stock jets and power valve. I need to rejet. All this came with help from [email protected] (Mr Stromberg) He is helpful and gives you data not just an opinion, not that opinions don't count they just don't always solve problems.
    Goos luck and I want to see how you go with your approach with your set up.

LJ

19. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

great score
    flat six fords ran holley 847 carbs, and they look just like 94's... but yeah, holley 1904 glass bowls would look the bomb on that intake... trouble is getting two 1904's that are matched (so many different variants made) and then getting them to work well in a group

20. What do you look for to know they are matched? Are there secondary numbers?

Jeff, any photos of your setup?

21. It that a cover for a banger? Got pbotos?

22. magneto57

magneto57

Cooooooool............rich

23. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

x2!

24. The key is to look for poorly labeled stuff. This one was under Vintage Ford intake. I search under vintage ford, flathead, antiques ford. Misspellings of Stromberg and holley

25. 50shoe

50shoe

Nice. I emailed the guy but you beat me to it! :)

26. chopo

chopo

i need one..... a single carb or double anyone got a spare?

27. A burns? Or a manifold?

28. Ricks57

Ricks57
    from San Diego

Here are some too big carbs on an Evans intake. Ran best with one carb closed off. Hasn't been really tuned in yet. My buddy Russ's car.
    Rick

Attached Files: