Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The most expensive gasser ever?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beau, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Beau

Beau

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

For an old steel willys with documented real deal history... doesn't seem that bad to me. Not that I would or could buy it.

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I will admit...I sold an all-steel Hemi-powered Willys for more than $90k. No history, no magnesium wheels.

4. 90Gs is chump change...to some...

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not just the car that is getting the bids but the car with well documented history that is still as it was campaigned in the 60's. It's also a pretty well known car and that helps with making it special to the guys who are in the market for the real deal gasser Willys and have the coin to make the deal.

6. metal man

metal man

I'm going to buy it:). My name is already on the door.

7. TinShed

TinShed

90,100 and 15min to go. Seems like a deal to me. Wish i was a baller!

8. Try building one with all those parts add history and its a deal .BTW the interior is unbelieveable.

9. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

bit of sniping at the end

10. TinShed

TinShed

90,600. I am sad it did not bring more. Would it have sold for more @ Barret Jackson?

11. fuzzface

fuzzface

yea, i watch the ending too. i thought it would jump up to around $125,000 myself.
    I think it was well brought.

12. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Good deal I guess !!

13. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

You're going to change your name to Pat?:p

14. Larry T

Larry T

$90,000.00+ is definately a lot of money, but probably not a drop in the bucket compared to what the SWC Willys would bring.

15. metal man

metal man

I'll just remove the first name:D

16. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Great deal , you could not build it for that & history is priceless , waaaaaaay out of my league but what a great car .

17. agreed

18. well im a chump but thats not change to me

19. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

To have money...
    Jay

20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

He`s refering to the Stone Woods and Cook. $300 grand would sound like a good deal but wouldn`t be suprised to bring lots more. like say 4 to 500 grand. Which might be on the lowside. That`s if it would come up for sale.

21. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mike was offered alot more than that for it and turned it down.
    Gasser Girl

22. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

We see fiberglass Willy's selling for that.

Average guy couldn't build the car for that. There's more than $90,000 in parts.

Steel
    1941 title
    Ca. black plates
    Magnesium wheels, etc, etc, etc.....Then add history

Sucks for the guy who just sold it but at that price I bet there's a good chance we'll see it relisted (flipped).

23. Weasel

Weasel

Willys coupes have a marketplace of their own. This car was a deal at that price with it's history. A beautifully built all steel hot rod Willys sold last year shortly after it became available for $185k and that was cents on the dollar - I know the car and how beautifully it was built and you could not build it for that. I had a note stuck under the windshield of my coupe from a well known racer and collector asking me to call if the car was ever available for sale - no question about money and it obviously was not an issue. I somebody with the money wants the car badly enough they'll pay what it takes. Top level Willys command stratospheric prices and that is simply the way it is. As for the attention seeking title of this thread - not even close....

24. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Maybe the trend of over priced cars with history is "so yesterday" with the rich guys now, so the average guys will be able to start buying stuff again.....

The Silver Dollar Willys PU has gone through the flippin' pahse a few times. I think some have made out good and others not so good on that one. Maybe the same thing wll happen here, and it will end up with somebody who WANTS the CAR rather than the MONEY they can make off it.

My opinion on the SWC car....$250,000 for the light blue one that was recently restored. $500,000 for the one that Mike Cook still owns. I may be way off base though, as historic Race cars and customs don't seem to bring near the money that historic Hot Rods do.

25. fuzzface

fuzzface

Anybody else remember the stripped willy shell (steel) that sold at that site a year or 2 ago? If i remember correctly, that brought around $45,000 with no parts, no history, etc.

26. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

90 grand! someone got a real nice piece of history at a real nice price. well bought.

27. Beau

Beau

Well, when this was posted, the auction only had about 40 minutes left. So I assumed the price would have went WAY up. It didn't.

Honestly, I figured there would be a bidding war at the end. It was pretty uneventful.

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I like this line from the listing:

""The patina is unbelievably cool and if you plan on changing a bunch of stuff on this car, well then I won't sell it to you. It deserves to be and will be preserved as a memory of the good old days""

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Seems odd to turn down more money to sell for less on Ebay?
    I think it was a bargain myself, but out of my league.