Register now to get rid of these ads!

How good (or bad) are moulded dash covers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dimadee, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Dimadee

Dimadee

My '60 Cadillac has a couple of cracks in the dash (don't they all?), and the previous owner thought some carpet and double sided tape would fix everything. Not wanting to keep the rug on the dash, so I started looking for alternatives.

I found some moulded dash covers which you place over the existing dash at stockinteriors.com. They sound like a great idea as long as the preparation and install is done correctly.

Has anyone used these covers before? If you have, how do they look? Some pictures would be great.

2. I used one on a mustang and it was a vast improvement,,,I'm positive it looks much better than carpet! HRP

3. x2 my 69 stang was improved with one

4. ken05k

ken05k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Jasper, AR

I put one on my O/T 72 Ford pickup and it made a world of difference.

5. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

On my old off topic Ghia, just covered the original with vynal,vinel, vinal....whatever, you all know what I'm talking about, left out the speaker holes, looked great didn't cost much. That $150 is almost to cheap to recover your own.

6. Dimadee

Dimadee

Thanks guys....any pictures?

7. are you talking about, just a slip over cover? or the type you send out your old dash and they mould a new cover on? i have had a couple redone by "just dashes" and they came out perfect. expensive but perfect.

8. I put a Coverlay molded cover on my '88 TurboCoupe 7 years ago. It still looks good. I think it was about $60.

9. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

I put one on an MGB awhile back and you couldn't tell it had a cover on it.

10. camcb

camcb

We put one in my daughters 97 Firebird and was a huge improvement $140 I think.

11. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

how about a tuck & roll one that is made to slip on like the carpet one?That would give you something nice. I used to sell and install coverlay's ,they were an improvement.Also made some t & r ones. Jack

12. Dimadee

Dimadee

Hi Jack,

I am not sure what you mean by tuck and roll. Can you explain a little more?

...tim

13. I put a coverlay brand molded dash on a Chevy truck (73-87 style) in 2006. It fit damn near perfectly and looks just like the day I put it on. Spent most of those 7 years outside too.

It looks great but you do loose the "padded" ness of the original

14. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

We used to sew up the t & r and cut to fit,then bind the edges. Made the dash look custom. This was not a complete recovering that required disassembly , merely a lay over. Good luck Jack

15. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I put one on a Bronco last year and it worked great. Clean well and use the adhesive per their instructions. I did it with the dash out because I had it out anyway, so it was easy.It would not be too hard with everything in place though.

16. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Put one on my 69 mustang about 10 years ago, still looks very good. But always kept inside with cover over car, no direct sunlight for very long at any time.

17. I have one on my O/T 77 f150, still looks great 10 years later, always parked outside and sees a lot of spills etc. while offroading.

18. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Originally Posted by HOTRODPRIMER
    I used one on a mustang and it was a vast improvement,,,I'm positive it looks much better than carpet! HRP

Shag or Loop?

19. Dimadee

Dimadee

Thanks all for your contribution. It sounds like it is the way to go.

Now all I need to do is decide on the colour. The original interior colour was black however the last owner changed it to red (including spraying the dash!).

I think the red would look stunning when done properly, especially when I can afford to have the bodywork done and respray back to the original silver (currently black).

20. If you read the OP's original thread it should be apparent I was referring to his 1960 Caddy with carpet on the dash! :rolleyes:

He never mentioned the style. HRP

21. Dimadee

Dimadee

Shag-adellic baby!!! ;-)