Register now to get rid of these ads!

Build again... or buy back your old cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wingnutz, Mar 17, 2013.

1. As many of you know that I've sold everything I've built to solidify some real estate for my Sweetheart and her kids but she passed away before we could get married and the house is now in her Kids names as they have become young adults.

Now... "what's that got to do with the price of tea in China?

Building another will require a fully functional garage but that isn't in the near future and I really don't want another "Rodless" summer!

So I've been entertaining the possibilities of buying back one of my previous builds that have morphed from the original concept significantly where I'd have to make several changes to fit my taste and needs. Plus I don't think I can "pony up" the extra cash to buy them back!

What would you guys do?

2. BJR

BJR

If you can't "pony up the extra cash" you just answered your own question. Sorry for your loss.

3. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Which car are you talking about???????

-Abone.

4. aaaT&A 2.jpg user1572_pic328858_1317261799.jpg scan29 truck0006.jpg I know where two of these are right now... but there's no guarantee the owners will sell them...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015

5. BCR added a bunch of value to the "Rocket Sled" and I'm afraid that the price on that one will be out of range for me!

Attached Files:

6. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know the one I would pick....Big Olds motor and a quickchange, pretty hard to beat..

-Abone.

7. Well the Blue one still has the Quickchange but the Webers were replaced with a boring single four barrel!

The owner might sell it reasonably due to the fact he doesn't understand the combination of parts that comprise the make-up.;)

Attached Files:

8. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)I would never buy back and have had the opportunity to do so. So get busy and build something.:cool::D

9. Usually I'd agree w/you however I really don't have the energy or time for another complete build and I know the stuff I've already built had all the right stuff and just needs some updates (different wheels and tires) and TLC to get them going again.:cool:

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you could buy your sweetheart's kids a house why can't they buy you a car?

11. k9racer

k9racer

I have sold several cars to be able to buy land, shop equipment,pay lawyers. settle up estates -and a few other reasons and 2 times just because I was stupid and had a lapse in judgement.. I almost get sick when I see several of my old cars and wish I had them back.. I know of 2 of them I would pay twice what I sold them for just to have them in my position. Life is very short so if you want something buy it if you can...........................Bobby.......

12. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

Hey Bobby maybe you could figure out which car you really want back and talk to the new owner, maybe if you explain the situation you are in they could be decent. Most hot rodders are damn fine folks and have a heart, and as a person that has stood by sickly wife and adopted a little girl I understand selling the toys to support the family!! Good luck and God speed bro!!!

13. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Why not buy a different car like a driving project? You could drive it while you make it yours. Just a thought.

14. swifty

swifty

Talk to the owners of the 2 roadsters and see what the situation is with them, then you'll have a better idea. At least buying back a car you've built you know it better than the current owners.

15. Needs a Quickchange... and 40 Dash... able to handle 500+ HP engine....
    and all 3 are already there so I don't have to worry about the chassis and suspension.

Talked to one and speculating about the other until I get the contact info!

16. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I would buy back since you know what has been done to the car. you buy someone elses project, you end up finding stuff you do not like.

17. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

as luck would have it... the Opportunity to re own (my old ones )has been good for me.

:cool:

18. at twice the price....let me get the list together....and I'd go......

19. i am really diggin that pickup...thats the one i would go after if i was you.

20. Mark,first I want to tell you that you are still in my thoughts.

And as for buying back a car from your past,that's exactly what I did last year when I got my old sedan back.

I know what it's like to go through the hot rod season with a car,,if you can swing it,,do it. HRP

21. The truck was re-chassis and supercharged with an NSRA cage and has posted a 10.30 e.t. at 131!

Basically can get it for the cost of the engine and chassis.

Thank you for your support!

22. BenW455

BenW455

I love the Rocket Sled. That is bad ass.

23. Tough call, but there is nothing like building a hot rod to occupy your mind and body for a couple month while your heart heals.
    Best of luck.

24. Thanks Tyler... don't mind driving one of my old builds while I do a little wrenching on them at the same time!

25. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Traded my 40 off a couple of years ago, missed it before it got out of sight. Came up for sale 6 months later and I sold another car I had just bought to buy it back again! No regrets! Good luck!

26. I saw this on "da bay" and it would be something that I'd consider!

<center>[​IMG]</center>

27. I would change a few things but overall I like it!

<center>[​IMG]</center>

28. interesting...

[​IMG]

29. 394 Thumpin Rocket Olds engine!

<center>[​IMG]</center>

30. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

I don't know who owns it now....it's been sold once or twice since the original builder......and I didn't build the engine...but I know it's got a bunch of Ross Racing parts in it.
    And the car hasn't been finished very long.

Tony