Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ifs for 52 f1 with flathead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cashman1952, Mar 16, 2013.

1. cashman1952

cashman1952

Does anyone know if there is a bolt in ifs for a 52 f1 that allows you to keep the flathead? Everyone I have talked to so far says the flathead v8 will fit but doesn't offer motor mounts to do it. This is my first project like this, and I'm not a welder so the bolt in option seemed appealing. I would appreciate any help of advice on this thanks jim

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

There is no bolt in options that I am aware of. Might be time to learn how to weld. I am sure your local community college offers a night time welding course.

3. Stock front suspension is just fine.

4. cashman1952

cashman1952

You are probably right about learning to weld,especially with this hobby!Thought it would be worthwhile asking the question and hope for the best. Do you know if the weld in kits allow you to run the flathead?I really want to keep it, but want the ifs and power rack and pinion as well.

5. A flathead and a SBC are about the same size, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
    Keep the flathead. You may be able to use your stock mounts or re-work them. Worst case, make some new mounts.

6. tjelwood

tjelwood
    from oklahoma

Don't know of a bolt in ifs, but you can weld in a mustang 2 and keep the stock mounts. You just have to trim the mounts a little. Unfortunately I don't have any pics of how I did mine on my 50 which has the same frame.

7. cashman1952

cashman1952

Thanks for the encouraging news. I think the rewards of a IFS will be we'll worth the effort in the long run.Does anyone have a recommendation which kit is the best ? It would be nice to use one that somebody has already installed and is happy with. Thanks Jim

8. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

Do a search over at the Ford Truck Enthusiast (FTE) in the 48-56 section for more info (they tend to go more towards the IFS route then the HAMB) The crown vic or Jaguar IFS might also be an option. While learning to weld is a very good idea, you might want to look into having a mobile welding guy come out and do the welding for you. Welding in IFS is not something that is a good idea for a newbie (full penetration of welds etc). Plus it will probably be cheaper to pay for a couple hours of his time then classes, and a welder, and messing it up a couple of times :)

9. rokcrln

rokcrln

10. cashman1952

cashman1952

Nice job! Did you have to move the crossmember forward of where the solid axle set from the factory? I would like the front end a bit lower than stock but not way down. I would probably go with springs and shocks. Thanks for the tip on the mobile welder,didn't think of that.Good luck with your build ! Jim

11. George/Maine

George/Maine

chassicengineering.com They have a boltin IFS page 36

12. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Best to stick with one or the other style builds.

Build a nice early style pickup with some hidden updates if need be
    Or build a modern style pickup with basically a new car for a heart.

Theres not a thing wrong with keeping the stock front end and upgrading it if need be….you would be surprised how nice they are to drive … even without power this and that.

13. 8flat

8flat

14. 8flat

8flat

Oh, and yes, this was a weld-in setup but it was pretty easy to install, and it was fairly easy to keep my original flathead motor mounts, I just had to notch them to fit around, and weld up directly to, the new IFS cross member. I can show you some closeup pics if you want.
    Gary

PS: I will say that I sort of regret doing it, nowadays I think I'd like the originality of a straight axle. Under those big fenders nobody will know, I guess. I kept most everything else stock, including all the interior.

Gary

15. cashman1952

cashman1952

Thanks Gary, if you have pictures that would be great. That bolt in kit from CE looks very interesting as well. Has anyone here installed one? Jim