Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mustang II Power Rack Flow Valve

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48FordFanatic, Mar 17, 2013.

1. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I bought the "reduced " flow valve from Speedway for my GM pump used with a Mustang II power rack. . The valve is supposed to eliminate the twitchy feeling by reducing flow to the rack. I haven't installed it , but looking at it and comparing it to the GM valve ( I have parts of several pumps ) I don't see any difference between it and the stock GM valve. I called Speedway and they don't know ( or won't tell me ) what is done to reduce the flow. The design, the hole size, etc. all looks to be the same as the GM valve.

Has anyone used this valve , and if so , does it work. Furthermore, does anyone know what is different about the Speedway valve.

Thanks, John

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The orifices should be a different size. If they are not, then it will not reduce flow.

There is another option. 1988-ish T-Bird rack (one-piece, NOT THE TRW rack). Bolts in, after slotting the passenger-side hole (if it is not already). Uses the same tie rod ends. Runs at the flow and pressure of a GM pump. Costs about $85 at a typical auto parts store. You will want the 3.0:1 rack, not the 2.5:1 rack, unless you are fond of go-kart steering.

3. maniac

maniac

I cant remember where I got mine from, but it looked like a stock valve with an extra shim in it, almost something you can do yourself, it worked tho, slowed the steering down.

4. kwhizz

kwhizz

Flow control valaves just put a Band-Aid on the Flow/Pressure problem......Like Gimpys said.....Use the T-Bird rack and everything is fixed correctly....

5. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

i bought one it didnt work,so they sent me another one it didnt work either. the newer racks dont do this and there right about the bird rack