Register now to get rid of these ads!

what has 5 on 4 1/2 steelies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model A hooligan, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Working on a 47 Plymouth for my uncle.looking for some Steelies that are smooth or genie style in ford/dodge pattern.looking for them to have the inward clip not the snap over one's, what wheels stock would fit the bill?

2. flatout51

flatout51

49 up Ford car

3. Don't those have the snap over style centers?

4. silversink

silversink

1/2 T International pickups up to 1950, not sure after. Chrysler products are the only ones with the clips that I can remember. Some have inside ridges to hold the caps

5. Don't want clip.just a inside type ridge is what we are looking for.just a basic wheel .think 40 ford style just with the right lug pattern

6. JEM

JEM

I was thinking of '98-02 Crown Vic cop-car...

7. daddio211

daddio211

True, but the shoebox (49-51) wheels won't fit any center cap besides 49-51 Ford. If you're running a full cap they'd work fine.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

8. Does the plymouth have a wider center hole than the Ford? Mine are off of a 90's bronco.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Whatever you get, don't forget to drill a hole for the locating pin.

10. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Actually up to about 1954. I think the earlier ones are 16" and I know the mid 50s International wheels are 15". Some were made like "Solids" with no windows (I have a pair of those) but most had the windows between the rim and the center and look exactly like an early Ford wheel. I'd like to find another set of the solid style myself. There were minor differences in width over the years. Some are 4 1/2" wide and I've seen some that are up to 5" The Chrysler wheels don't have the little hubcap bumps you need. They used a spring clip and the center is hole is a little bigger, If memory serves me. I know I had Ford Wheels on an old Dodge when I was a kid and almost lost a rim. Might have been just the lugnuts that were different though.

11. '49-51 wheels are actually pretty typical through 1956. They (Ford) changed to 14" diameter in '57. Having said that, ANY 10 1/8" dog dish cap (Fomoco or GM) will snap on to this vintage GM or Ford wheel with the outer bumps for 10 1/8" poverty caps. I have '51 Ford caps on 60's Chevy steelies on my F-100 due to the bolt pattern.

To answer the OP's question, you'll need to go aftermarket if you want a '40 Ford (or typical) style wheel with a small bolt pattern. Most of them will have a double bolt pattern (4 1/2" & 4 3/4") to fit mor applications.

Call Jimmy @ Rally America, or Wheel Vintiques (Owned by Coker, I believe). Have used them both, and been very satisfied.

12. Bingo! Are those smooth tho? No holes.drawn Vic is diff.put of the question

13. Lionheart

Lionheart

Most Ford car wheels before 1968 had the 2 3/8" center hole,
    and then 1968, (I think), Ford car went to 2 3/4" center hole.

The Crown Vics are 114mm, (4 1/2") bolt circle, with the bigger center hole,
    and should work on the old Plymouth, if you drill a locator hole.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  14. crawlerdan

crawlerdan
    from montana

i just put crown vic wheels on my 49 dodge, same set up as you. they accepted factory hub caps just fine

15. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

Studebaker cars

16. Dodge trucks have 16" wheels that are the same bolt pattern as your plymouth and all of the mopar half moon caps are the same to my knowledge. The best thing about the 16s is not too many people are looking for them and you can use run the same radials that are on most 3/4-1 ton trucks now. They actually almost look like bias tires at a glance, I am thinking of getting a set for my truck for long trips.

17. daddio211

daddio211

Todd, that's EXCELLENT info, thank you for clarifying!

18. Like I said before crown Vic is out of the question.I'm not sure what year you're speaking of but the newer ones Have holes in them.the older ones I never see really.anyone have anything for sale? Linking to stay 15's

19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"If memory serves me. I know I had Ford Wheels on an old Dodge when I was a kid and almost lost a rim. Might have been just the lugnuts that were different though."

I can attest to this. I had to re-tighten the lugnuts holding the '52 Ford wheels on my '55 Dodge every morning before going to school. Didn't have the setup long enough to figure out what the problem really was. Be careful with this.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

20. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

International 1/2 ton truck wheels up till about 1965. They are available in 15 and 16 inch. They are smoothies with no windows. They have the inner "bumps" and accept the 46-48 Ford car and F-1/F-100 hub caps. They do not have the spring clips like your original Plymouth caps. They are 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern. I have used them on an 8 3/4 B body Mopar rearend as well as on 8" and 9" Ford rearends. Sam

21. That'd be cool if I could find them

22. daddio211

daddio211

Hooligan, I can't reply to your PM, your box is full! :eek:

23. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Additional info: These wheels are also on some of the small neighborhood U.S. Mail vehicles but only in 15 inch. They are also on the smaller UPS or phone company vans. I've stumbled across those in salvage yards.

24. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Yep, but some do have windows - I have a few sets and more with windows that without. I need a pair of the smoothy ones in either 15 or 16" I'd trade a very nice set with 8" rims - blasted and painted with windows - they look exactly like the early Fords and accept early caps up to 48 style.