Register now to get rid of these ads!

36 Ford Fender skirts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DjNeil, Mar 16, 2013.

1. DjNeil

DjNeil

Don't think fender skirts were an option in 36. Do any other years fit and were any flush fitting.If so where can I get me a pair
    Thanks
    Neil

2. blucar

blucar

Ford did not offer a fender skirt option in '36.. Several aftermarket suppliers did following WWII.. This type of skirt is generally a "tear drop" shape and the better ones had a slight bubble to them in lieu of being flat.
    Chrysler liked the flush type fender skirt, offed them as an option starting in about '36 through '39.. None of the Chrysler skirts will fit the Fords, wrong size fender opening.
    The fender skirts that were an accessory for the '40-41 Buicks, a tear drop style, were very popular on the '35-36/40 Fords in the late '40's...
    I had a couple of sets of tear drop style skirts on my '36 during the early '50's.. I got tired of having them stolen, along with my flipper disk hubcaps, so I went to the open fender look in 1953..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  3. DjNeil

DjNeil

Cheers for the reply

4. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

yah! i got a set of flush mounts. I got them for my 35 thinking they would fit but the opening is just an inch too big. Not sure if i want to modify my fenders or skirts or run 36 rear fenders, or sell them, or get a 36.

6. DjNeil

DjNeil

thanks eaglebeak and what choices you have junk yard kid,some more costly than others
    best
    Neil

7. tex34ford

tex34ford

I can recall our fender skirts being stolen in the '50s as well. Some guys went to the extreme of taping razor blades up inside the wheel well to discourage unwelcome fingers. Sorry this doesn't answer the question at hand but it brought this thought to mind.

8. As Eaglebeak replied..Big Jims in Whitney Texas has 1,000s of different skirts

9. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

here is a set from Big Jims. Fit fine, not much work to paint.

Attached Files:

10. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I also got a set of the fiberglass teardrops like on hdman6465 coupe. But made by a guy in california.

11. lenmann

lenmann
    from NorCal

I find it nothing short of amazing that in the course of a little over six hours you can get several different perspectives on a question about an obscure custom accessory for car that is 77 years old. Hell, the first response was from a guy that had first hand experience running skirts on a '36 in the 50's!

The HAMB, or rather the people that make up the HAMB, are an incredible resource. Simply amazing.

12. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

hdman6465 are yours fiberglass? I didn't see that style in steel. Those are pretty slick on your coupe.

13. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

My uncle had a 35 Ford Phaeton that was dropped and ran skirts around North Long beach , not sure of the manufacturer, that was in the late 40's...

14. tbauer

tbauer

Here is a flush fender skirt on a 1936 fender I'm building. The skirt hooks on the bottom of the fender then snaps on to the lip of the fender. You should do a search of fender skirt building. There are a few great build threads posted here and it's not that difficult. All you need is a tin snips and a set of pliers to fold the edges . One build builder uses truck hoods as pre shaped metal. maby you can use an old citron door skin.

Attached Files:

15. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

Dear lord that car is GORGEOUS:eek:

16. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, The whole thing is aftermarket, homemade stuff.