Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 55 f-100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NoClassic, Nov 17, 2012.

1. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

I found this a few weeks ago just outside of Lubbock and had it shipped back to my Dad in Dallas. It had been in west Texas entire life and has very little rust considering being left outside. The plan was to just get it running, and then let my brother in law drive it around town. That changed after finding a couple badly damaged cylinder walls when tearing it down.

I found a really cheap (basically free after selling the roller) LS1/4l60E to use and my Dad picked up an XJ6 subframe. We will have the motor next week and should be able to get the motor and subframe done over the holidays.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  2. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

Looks like my dad got the subframe stripped and cleaned up along with the front portion of the frame. The jag rubber frame mounts showed up so he pushed it under to see how everything looked. The trans am will be here next Sunday and at that time we will locate the subframe along with the motor. I hope to come off the subframe with the engine mounts so it can all be dropped as a unit for service. My Dad takes horrible pictures as always.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  3. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

That XJ6 is the ticket! Keep us posted.

4. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

Ill get better images of the progress over the holidays for sure.

Does anyone have any input on how much the rear will need to come down to get a level ride height with the jag subframe on rubber mounts? I am hoping to avoid a notch, but will if need be.

5. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

We were able to get the trans am home last weekend and had the motor out a couple days ago. The chassis is already sold and the buyer is picking it up tomorrow. With shipping we have $500 into the motor and trans.

We ended up using one of the LS truck oil pans to clear the rack, but other than that the motor fits well without having to modify the jag crossmember. It will be soft mounted, but we did still have to notch it a bit to clear. Next up is frame boxing and mount fabrication. I will relocate and modify the existing trans mount, and engine mounts will come off the crossmember so it can be dropped as a unit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Well done , The Jag IFS makes an awsome driver out of these old pickups .

A tip for you , make sure you use the first section of the Jag column, at the rack it has a "slip" in it . This is to allow for the movement of the rubber mounts on the crossmember. Also , bin the Jag shocks and make a top mount on the crossmember . I'll get you the part number of the ones I use ( I do a few Jag suspension swaps ) and if you look in my workshop album you'll see pics of top mounts .

7. Part number for the Gabriel shocks is 69689.

85-88 dodge colt rear shocks, also monroe part number 33133

8. Mattilac

Mattilac

Seems people are beginning to take a liking to the Jag XJ6 suspension! :)

9. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

I have been on the hunt for a deal on the Jag steering section, but have not found one yet.

Thank you for the tip on the shocks, my dad and I were just talking about that earlier today. We had planned on mounting them to the upper control arm mounting bolts like you mentioned.

Do you have any tips for pressing in the lower control arm bushings? I have attempted pressing with pressure on the entire rubber portion, but they it will not fully seat. I am worried pressing on the inner sleeve will tear it free from the rubber.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  10. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

I was sick for a week after Christmas so things slowed down a bit. The last few days have picked up and the mounts are now tacked in. I need to fit mid-fifty frame boxing panels and will then do the finish welding on everything. The rear mounts will be vertically gusseted to the inner frame boxing panels and I am considering boxing the front of the forward mounts as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

The motor and trans are now mounted. I forgot to get an image of the trans mount, but we were able to modify and relocate the existing ford engine crossmember to work with the 4l60e. The engine mounts are getting pulled off tomorrow for final welding and a boxing panel added.

I picked up a majority of the seals and an oil pan with better ground clearance to use on the motor.

Does anyone have any tip for adapting the F-100 steering shaft to the jag hinged joint? Is the ford shaft keyed or smooth under the spiral drive piece?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  12. willymakeit

willymakeit

Keep posting.My next F100 is going independent. I just want something different.

13. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

Found a windshield locally for a good price installed so went ahead and had it done. Still searching for deals on the rest of the glass, but hope to find something soon.

[​IMG]

We were able to get the spiral drive portion off the end of the steering shaft and it is keyed/grooved. Ill ask again if anyone is aware of a 3/4 steering joint that is machined to fit that stock shaft? If not it looks like we will be having a new solid replacement with D channel made up.

My dad is starting on modifying the LS1 harness and fitting the boxing panels this week. He also put in an order for all of the door gaskets, window guide components, lenses, and some trim parts. The power brake master showed up from oldirish on ebay and uses the stock brake pedal which is nice.

At this rate we plan to have it driving by mid March.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  14. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

I made it back again and finished the welding on the front end. My dad has been working on the seat and getting the doors cleaned and assembled. We found an explorer 8.8 to put under it and picked up a 16# mustang fuel tank to rear mount. The remaining fuel parts are ordered along with the bolts and plates for the axle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

Looks like Ol' Dad is a handy guy! Neat project!

16. Nice work so far. Maybe someday I'll actually get my '53 F100 on the street.

17. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

I'll be watching this!
    like the boxed frame, how did the mid-fifty's kit work?

18. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

As long as he does not get in a hurry he does good work. He did a really good job fitting the boxing panels before I arrived. Made the welding process pretty easy. The mid-fifty boxing kit fit well, but did require a couple hours of grinding to get them where we wanted.

I just got off the phone with him and he finished grinding the boxing welds to replicate the factory frame shape/arch. He also got the fuel tank mounted and said it fit really well. A whole bunch of fuel parts also showed up, but still waiting on the pump.

We are currently debating if we should just go ahead and bag the front. Also forgot the mention that we now have the rest of the glass and went with the type that has a slight green tint. I was skeptical of the tint at first, but it has grown on me.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  19. coupe man

coupe man

Looks good.Any pictures of the gas tank installed and where the filler will be.Thanks

20. Drive Em

Drive Em

Wow, street rods on the Hamb.

21. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

street rod lol. Just trying to make a nice driver.

My dad sent me this image of the tank installed. The filler will just be a cutout in the bed surface.

He also began painting the front portion of the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

Looks like my dad went ahead and put the subframe under it. Motor needs to go back in to position the bar that is replacing the old cab/running board mount crossmember.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  23. BOHICA

BOHICA

Looking good, NoClassic.

:rolleyes:

ZOMG! He added IFS and an LS1. Ban him. Ban him with a vengeance!

24. ...nice project, I'll be watchin...good luck with it.

25. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Hahaha

26. NoClassic

NoClassic
    from DFW

Things are starting to come together. The rear end is under it and the wheels showed up this week (16x7 Gennie). They will be painted white with silver caps to replicate the factory 55 trim colors.

My Dad finished up replacing seals, pumps, and oil pan on the motor. The subframe is now back together so all that went back on the chassis. He also finished covering the seat and built the doors. Next up is brakes, fuel, steering, and then exhaust.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

The green tinted glass was a very good choice. Few people know that it was very popular when windows were first tinted.

I have it in my 55 F100 and those that know, comment on the color.

28. BOHICA

BOHICA

Cool, I didn't know that. I decided to go all tinted on my '54, but only because it won't have A/C.

29. odass

odass
    from se ok

looking good, are y'all going to paint this truck or drive as is? I vote for as is lol

30. nxcess

nxcess
    from Mesa, AZ

How is the width on that front suspension? Is it as good or better then the Voltaire ?