Register now to get rid of these ads!

1st gen Falcon front coil-overs and disc brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scottybaccus, Jan 24, 2012.

1. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

That's pretty cool. I expect you won't need that much room, but it's a sure thing with the kit. I guess that requires a strut conversion?

2. springer99

springer99

Not going to do the strut conversion just going to use the basic concept for the shock tower mods .
    To start with I was going to use the standard spring & shock setup , BUT now I've seen your conversion I'll go that way
    Here's a pic of the engine bay to show how the towers were done & I hate it !!
    [​IMG]

3. ZFORCE

ZFORCE
    from Tucson

Scotty, Nice write up.

On the Spindles, I posed the question of whether you could use the 67 Mustang spindles with the early Falcons on the TFFN.NET. Basically, the answer I got was that the steering arms were about 1/2 inch lower than the 65 66 spindles and therefore would introduce unwanted bumpsteer.

I looked at both spindles and the 67 steering arms were lower. I ended up getting a pair of 65 66 Mustang spindles. Have you converted to the 65 V8 center link too?

I'll be curious to see how yours drives.

4. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

If you change nothing else, yes, you could induce bump steer. However, if you are altering ride height with stock spindles, you induce bumpsteer anyway. Now you take a different steering arm and a different ride height and you may have a real mess. I'm a process engineer of sorts by trade, so I try to look at the big picture, then break it down to it's component parts. The final position of the steering arm is an unknown for me right now. After I get her back on the ground and set ride height I can see what I am working with. I may flip one end of the tierod or make up a simple bump steer spacer. If it's very minor, I might even heat and bend the steering arm. I'll just have to see...

As to the centerlink, I am using a Lima 4 banger, so I have an oil pan where the center link used to be. I expect to make up a chrome-moly center link with rods ends and a pretty signifigant drop on each end. This is possible because the tie rods are on the idler and pitman, rather than the center link. It may not be ideal, but it will be stout enough to handle this car. This will be an around town car with no racing of any kind in the plans. Hard cornering isn't compatible with the personality.

5. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Here we go! (ha ha)

[​IMG]

I made up some lowering blocks for the rear today and finished the trial assembly on both sides. It is sitting about 2" lower than stock in the front, about 1.25" lower in the rear. I'll probably need to crank it up in the front when I get all the parts back on it, but it sure looks bitchin' right now!

The tires are the biggest I can imagine under these cars. 205/70-15, a little tall, but really filling up the wheel wells.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  6. springer99

springer99

7. Some great information. Thanks for sharing!

8. springer99

springer99

Scotty , have you driven the car yet ? hows it drive if you have ??

9. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Not yet. I'm replacing the cowl vents now, then floors, and off to the body shop for paint. I'll have wiring and fuel system after that.

I did raise it back up a bit in the front to make sure it was daily driveable with the tires and wheels. I have '66 Galaxie 15" wheela on it, with 205/75R15 rubber. Raising it up was the right move. The tire has plenty of room for turning with the fender lip just below the shoulder of the sidewall. It still has a little rake, but less than half of what you see in the pic above. The posse says it's right on the money.

10. Hammerhead57

Hammerhead57
    from Aurora CO

Great thread, I've got mine blown apart now, and the coilovers started the game of fabit myself. Good info from the group- Thanks so much!

11. Did pictures disappear?

12. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Fixed 'em. Just for you!

13. Thank you. Have you put miles on it?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013