Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Late 60's Vintage Modified

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaun1162, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

That is a pretty cool piece.. Haven't seen one for this style steering wheel. I bet my upholstery guy could bang one right out for me, but I'm not sure how long this steering wheel will be staying...

Would ultimately like to adapt the 35-36 Ford wheel to a quick release hub, just have to figure out how...

But this steering wheel is starting to grow on me, especially once I set the body back on the chassis this afternoon

2. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQb1t0ifOBM 1960 nascar crash .I found this video. cars are called SPORTSMAN.:) I'm looking forward to some pictures.Body back on ,,, Tires next ! Steady as she goes Shaun.There is a link to that Buffalo Show , sure a lot of gassers there,I was hoping for some track cars like this. I'm sure the folks there had a good time and drank alot of beer.:D Bill aka Tnomoldw

3. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Yeah, that was quite a crash!

Just ordered the tires today actually... Pair of 7.50-16's for the back

4. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Cool on the tires , head lite bar or what idea for that ? and a hood , How about a grill since it going to look streety ,, get one of these off EBAY ? hmmm Many are using the ADLER grill of late Bill aka TNomoldw:cool::D

Attached Files:

5. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Here is a couple more pics , Bill aka Tnomoldw:D

Attached Files:

6. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

7. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

8. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Anybody notice anything different?? :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Body work definately isn't done (I wish!) but at least the body is one color again (for the most part)! All the rust is done and taken care of, just have some more sanding and figure out what I want to do with some of the dents... Leaving some of them for sure, but once it was in primer I could see plenty of places that kinda bug me... Also have to deal with the windshield wiper set-up, probably going to have to relocate the hole and the bracket on the inside of the car in order for the wiper to actually be useful for sitting in the middle.

9. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

Looking good... keep up the good work!

10. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Actually I'm pretty happy with my grill for right now... Those look nice, but I'm trying to keep this as original as possible... I might have changed the design a little, but it's still got that same mesh.

No hood for now... The original builder had a stock '33 Ford hood on it, but I can't shell out the kinda money guys are asking for those nowadays... Especially since it would have to be cut up and modified to fit, but maybe I'll get a good deal on one that needs TLC at a swap meet or something, who knows.

Thanks!

11. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Absolutely awesome shaun!!!!!!!

12. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

13. Jackbolt

Jackbolt

Lookin' super!!! I always look forward to the updates on this thread. You'll really be cranked when you get some color on the body.

14. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks for the article, definately some good tips and photos in there!

Thanks! Glad to hear you're enjoying the build too, means alot... Definately looking forward to laying some paint, already have the black paint for the roof, now just need the red and to finish it up! Lot of ripples and little dents popped out after I primed it, but I think I'll just stick with some minor hammer and dolly work and then just paint it as-is... Can't be too perfect, it is a jalopy after all!

:rolleyes: Thanks! If you look under enough rocks, and make enough contacts you'll be surprised how many of these can pop up... I just looked at one yesterday a guy offered to me... No local history, but I was tempted to buy it and pull the flathead for this car

15. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Worked on the headlights today...

Built these brackets out of some tubing I bent and some extra plate I had, then added the threaded rod and a taper washer to dress it up a little. I put another tapered spacer/washer on top of the one that's welded because of how the bottom of the headlights are (no idea how they mounted to the original vehicle- could have been on the fender or something)..

[​IMG]

They look kinda goofy in these pictures being only of the front of the car, but in the "big picture" of thing I think they look pretty good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe tomorrow I'll drive it out and see how they look outside..

16. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

17. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

"I'll drive it out and see how they look outside.."

Nice!!!!

Awesome work on the headlights and brackets, its tough to pull that off on a streetable racecar, ya did real good.

18. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:confused:I stewed around and finally figured out your comment about the headlights and how they fastened. :)Thats why I sent you the info on the light bar, which has ball-socket for the light to adapt to. That also makes it very easy to adjust the beam.Im guessing,correct me if I'm wrong,I believe the headlite beams are not adjustable in the normal/modern way by removing the bezel rings and adjusting the bulbs with adjustment screws. picture is of the ball-socket,:cool:I believe to make your light setup work properly ,you should add a locking nut to the threaded stud that you have screwed into the headlite bucket.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  19. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Shaun,check out this thread,especially the last 5-6 pages.:cool:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621405
    I' m adding a few more pictures ,:eek::cool::D Note ,They cut the top of the grill out and weld it back in or they replace the cut out piece ,to reshape it.This is the Martin Coupe ,Martin is a very unusual craftsman as will see ,reading the thread.His shop is in his place of bussiness ,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  20. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

It is definately nice to do that now! Especially with all of the seat and steering figured out... Now I just need to do all the wiring so I can actually start it from inside the car haha!

It was kinda tough to find a decent place to mount them.... Can't mount them beside the grill because of the shocks, and that's about as far out as I can go because the tires would hit them otherwise

Actually my headlights are kind of the reverse of those, they have an "indent" underneath where they mount... It's curved, so by adding a tapered spacer it's basically the same thing now, and allows me to move them. You are right about the adjustments, can only be done with the light out, and I did add a locking washer to the inside to make sure they stayed where they should. Here's a picture to show what they look like underneath....

Attached Files:

21. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Today I spent mostly on the front wheel cylinders... For some reason or another, they used REAR brakes on the FRONT of this car. They're the early style Ford, so I bought a pair of new ones from Mac's quite a while ago. Hadn't touched them after I put the brakes back together, up until a few weeks ago when I went to put the hoses on. Started one by hand and it seemed good, so I started to tighten it with a wrench- after applying pretty light pressure, the threads stripped right out of the wheel cylinder...

I e-mailed Mac's and they sent a replacement, and I just figured that was the end of it... Until I went to try the other side. The exact same thing happened! Ripped the threads right out of it after I barely started to tighten it... E-mailed Mac's again and it sounds like they won't do much. So I dug out the originals, took them all apart, cleaned them up, and put in the parts from the "new" wheel cylinders.... All in all a pretty expensive way to buy a rebuild kit for a pair of wheel cylinders, but I guess I learned two lessons (the hard way)- Don't buy foreign made parts, and don't buy from Mac's....

But anyways! I got my rear tires in today, had them mounted, and painted up the wheels! For the first time it actually sits level on all corners!

I guess it sort of looks like it's going away from a race car and more towards a hot rod now, after losing the right front baby tire, and the headlights (which I don't think look too bad once it's outside- maybe a little big, but it'll be better once they're painted and blend in more)..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These new tires are about 32" tall I think... They aren't as "cool" as those old racing tires, BUT they do help to hide where the body and rearend don't really line up...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  22. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I feel for you there about the scrapping... Hate to think about the stuff that has been scrapped in recent years, or even back in the day... I know there's (most of) an old stock car from this vintage not 2 miles from my house... But it's sitting in the middle of an old landfill.

Fortunately alot of people around here seem to still save alot of their old iron, the trouble is trying to get it out of them! But I wish you luck on your search... You could always make a clone car though!

23. Mentalstates

Mentalstates

Looking good..nice to see a fellow NH member...where abouts you from Deerfield/Northwood area here..

24. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks! I'm up towards the Lake Sunapee area

25. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  26. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:Dpictures of Race of Gentlemen:cool::eek::D

Attached Files:

27. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Haha yeah it probably could run in that! Looks like a pretty cool event... Too bad it's far away...

28. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)New Jersey , how far is that ?:D

29. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Anything more than 2 hours away is FAR! :rolleyes:

30. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thought I'd share a couple pictures I scanned with my coupe when it was found...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]