Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects to vinyl or not to vinyl that is the question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kellys Hot Rod Parts, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Jeanne and I drove to MA last fall to buy a retirement project to build our summer driver..The car was purchased from Jay Acerra's dad and seemed to have been a part of the family having been formerly owned by Jay...While they had it the car did undergo some more changes ...After seeing Jays thread here on the H.A.M.B.tracking its history and seeing it in its former condition. I am having a tough time deciding if I should do the vinyl top treatment it had when it was fresh or simply paint it the maroon flatz I am painting the rest of the car. The grill change is a no brainer but that top??? What do you think white vinyl or not??

Attached Files:

2. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Not Vinyl but a canvas top ,my opinion only,canvas = dacron like fire hose is made of

3. I like the white. HRP

4. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Vinyl works for me except on the top of the doors.

5. cosmic12

cosmic12

No on the top but drop it about 6"s

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I never could get vinyl tops.:confused: Nix it.

7. the front is going down 2" and the rear 1 1/2" I totaly agree..

8. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

pink would suit you better

9. So Bob where are we going ?? And why do I need to wear your suit?? lol

10. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I dig the faux-Carson look but don't understand the top of doors either. And those portholes should belch flames.

11. i vote vinal top.

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put the vinyl down and step away from the car! Sir we are here to help you, please just remain calm and PUT THE VINYL DOWN!!

Doc.

13. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

If you're doing a fake "Carson" type top...then by all means- CANVAS...!!! While you're at it remove the vinyl, or whatever-it-is, from the doors...and IF you're cleaning up the car, get rid of the portholes...they do nothing for the "kustom" look...matter of fact, 2 inches down in the front isn't going to help the look that much...consider 4", but I suspect the too-wide subframe is keeping you from doing that or the tires are going to hit....

Maroon flat would be good...better than the gray you have now...and of course, this is just my opinion...it IS your car...!!!

R-

14. The car sits on a chevelle chassis I think 2" is the most I can hope for...the vinyl is long gone and the doors now have tops..

15. countspanko

countspanko

canvas wiil do it with class.

16. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

class, in Bowler, WI? The most class Kelly ever had was three years in fifth grade.

17. Thats funny Bob considering the only class you ever had was special ed......