Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stromberg Jet tool / substitute

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guy1unico, Mar 9, 2013.

1. guy1unico

guy1unico

Is there any other tool that is more readily available and does the same thing as the "Stromberg" tool...for changing jets in a 48 carb?
    Thank you,
    Guy

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

i dont think so but you might try a little socket.

3. Snap on sells the socket but unless you have a milling machine your going to have to buy a wrench.

4. cracker head

cracker head

Buy the correct tool. Uncle max made some for resale.

5. Get a grade 8 3/8" diameter bolt about 4 inches long. Cut the threaded portion off and then use a cutoff wheel to cut a slot (1/4" wide I think) in the end about 1/4" deep to go over the flat sides of the jet. Use a wrench on the hex or weld on a t-handle. The grade 8 bolt material is strong enough to not bend the relatively week tabs left after you cut the slot.

6. smitty city

smitty city

i took a nut driver the right size and cut out the sides with a zippy wheel, works pretty good.
    you can use this method until the real deal comes from uncle max

7. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I think you should open your wallet, let some of the moths out, and then order the correct Stromberg jet wrench from Uncle Max. If that's too rich for your blood, then buy the much shittier one sold by Speedway Motors.

The alternative is to destroy the carburetor trying to get the jets out.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  8. I went through several Speedway wrenches before I broke down and got a good one. Lesson learned.

9. alchemy

alchemy

Uncle Max's wrench all the way!

10. carbking

carbking

If you don't have access to a machine shop, then Uncle Max is the way to go!

Some 30 years ago, we had the jet wrenches reproduced (we are now out, this post is information only)!

The method we used was as follows:

(1) We started with a piece of soft steel rod
    (2) The rod was cut into 4 inch lengths
    (3) One end was machined to clear the body threads by 0.010 inch
    (4) An end mill was used to mill the appropriate slot in the end in (2) above
    (5) A small hole was drilled through the opposite end of the rod, about 1/2 inch from the end.
    (6) A piece of small steel rod was inserted through the hole
    (7) The ends of the small steel rod were smashed
    (8) The whole tool was hardened

So that is how to make a tool, or call Uncle Max!

Incidentally, there are three different sizes of the tool for difference Stromberg jets.

Jon.

11. carbking

carbking

An just as an addendum to the above:

We used to put the Stromberg jets in our repair kits, as we do Carter, Holley, etc.

Then we started getting complaints from customers that attempted to remove the old jets utilizing needle nose pliers; and thus damaging the body access plug threads. :(

So we had to make access plugs with oversize threads. :( And we ceased putting the Stromberg jets in the kits!

Needle nose pliers are probably named for being able to extract needles from noses, but have no use as a Stromberg jet tool! :p:D;)

Jon.

12. in a pinch the nut driver idea would work! but is the jets are to tight you do chance fucking up the bowl body. its best to buy the correct tool.

13. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Smart. I wouldn't hesitate to use this in an emergency situation. But I happen to have a great old wrench... somewhere. (I loaned it out and it was never returned)

14. metalman

metalman

I took an extra 1/4" drive socket (can't recall what size but it measured to same as the distance between the jet flats, took a cut off wheel and cut the remaining 4 flats down to clear. You have to put the socket in thru the top and an extension thru the hole but worked well on some really tight jets. One was so tight I put an adapter on and used a 3/8 breaker bar to get enough leverage to break it loose. The socket was an old Snap-on so maybe it was stoughter then a cheapo and didn't spread like I thought it would. Someone did give me a great old jet wrench since but unlike Kevin, I don't loan it out!

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Because of the big thread diameter, Stromberg jets can be very tight (probably ruining the tubes above them...) if last owner was a gorilla. An improvised tool with unsupported slot would need to start with some pretty stout metal as suggested above, as a cheap bolt or rod WILL fail if the things are tight...and remember the cost/trouble involved if your improv takes out some threads in there.
    Get a good one...it will be a LOT cheaper than even a minor screw up in there. Max or hit the road and search out a Snap-on or Plomb, which requires luck and money.