Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which Hemi and why in my 36 Dodge truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nhmikel, Mar 6, 2013.

1. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

I am trying to do some prior upfront planning. Thinking of putting in a
    old Hemi in my 1936 Dodge truck (not the one in avatar). Not knowing which one? Maybe
    331, 354, 392 or ??? Do not know enough about these early hemis.
    Would appreciate some input, thoughts or ideas on the prefferd
    set ups. Non blower.
    Will need to consider weaknesses and strengths of each and availability
    Do not want to break the bank....
    please help with input & pics
    Pics later

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  2. marfen

marfen
    from sask

All great. A 392 to build usually is quite a bit more to purchase than the other two. All 3 cost about the same to rebuild. All can make a pony per cube with out much trouble. All make good power with a wide torque band. Smooth too. Stay away from the early extended block 331s that have a weird block extension on the back that doubles as a partial bellhousing. Too much hassle with those.

3. roseboystoys

roseboystoys

Take a look at the 325 or 315 Dodge Hemi. They are much lighter that the 331, 354 or 392. They are very comperable in weight to a SBC. Very streetable and handles very well. Hemi Hot Heads in North Carolina has about everything you would need. I put one in our 29 Model A. They are a little bit tough to come by but not impossible.

4. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

They are all good. Alot depends on your adgenda for the truck. There are a couple of us right here on the H.A.M.B. that can help you out with any parts you may need.

5. GTOMUSTANG

GTOMUSTANG
    from ct

Indy Heads sells the 3rd gen 5.7 liter, with carbs, for under $8000, or you can look into HotHeads conversions of the Poly engines (check this website for reviews, however), Big AL's toybox out here in Gaylordsville CT also has some wild blown 392's....

6. dart165

dart165

Agreed, while finding vintage speed parts is a little harder (like finding anything old for a hemi is easy regardlesss of which one) the red rams are a good option, that are a bit less elephant in size. you might have an easier time tuckin it in there. Also, look at the 241, and the 270 super red rams. Hot heads makes stuff for most all of em to bolt up to a t-5 or a 727 if ya wanna keep it mopar.

7. George

George

Hemi Tech Index Start reading. All are expensive compared to modern V8s. The Chrs have to most build up parts, are the biggest/heaviest, and cost more for cores. The DeSotos are smaller and lighter, hardest to find parts for. Dodge is the smallest/lightest of the bunch, weight & CID. As TR Waters said, he has parts and so does "73RR" (Quality Engineered Components). Welcome to Hemis, if you take the plunge.

8. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

The basic question is what is your expected use(a basic driver, hot street car, eye candy). That answer will narrow the field and yes search hemi tech.

9. 73RR

73RR

George, thanks for the plug!

As Tom notes, the OP has plenty of help available right here on the Hamb even though it often seems that the general populace shops elsewhere.

As to engine choice, there may be space limitations unless you have fabrication talent and a big shoe horn so the final 'look' may be a deciding factor. Are you trying to hide the engine or plan to display it?
    I need to mention the DeSoto as a great package size. The 341 is just about the perfect combo of physical size vs displacement.

10. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

Would like a hot street truck with a little eye candy (multi carbs non blower). Should be able to fit in with most of the sheetmetal & radiator in place.

11. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

Thanks for the feedback..
    Leaning towards the 392. What other concerns need to be addressed?
    Fit between frame rails?
    Engine angle?
    Tranny setup?
    enough room in front for radiator?
    Weight concerns?

12. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

If running a full hood, no blisters, you will be mounting the motor/trans combo waaaaaaaaay back, about 8". You will have to get creative with steering geometry, brake/clutch set up and if your anything taller than 5'7" you will have problems with comfort, you can only mounts the seats so far back and still be inside the cab! Radiator has to go in stock location. Been there, good luck!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  13. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Then I suppose it is too late to suggest a 271?

[​IMG]

14. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

just measured 392 for width- 30 inches give or take a smidgen. Just for giggles checked a 354 Windsor- 26 inches give or take.
    Hmmm, Spitfire power?

15. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

why the 271?
    If its to much of a hassle may consider 340, etc

16. Poesrodandcustom

Poesrodandcustom
    from Kentucky

Guess that leaves out a JP1 or an Arias hemi huh?

17. sunbeam

sunbeam

The 325 dodge is lighter per cubic inch than the rest.

18. silent rick

silent rick

i still like my 291's. lighter and smaller than the chrysler. vintage intakes can still be found plus there are three modern intakes to choose from.

19. 1959apache

1959apache

you need to talk to 36dodgeram here on the HAMB. He's really knowledgeable on this subject. He has a '54 Chrysler 331 in his and didn't have to do much fabrication (just had to notch the fenders 1 inch by 3-4 inches (that was it). He still has the stock suspension on it and I think even the stock motor mount setup. It was like that truck was made for a hemi. It rides nice, hauls ass, and was relatively inexpensive as far as hemi builds go. He has like 300+ HP. Also, if you have any 36 Dodge questions, he is the man to ask. The dude is like an encyclopedia on that truck and that era of mopars, he also has a '40 Plymouth like I do.

Here is a link to his thread: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=632610

20. expavr

expavr

I tucked a 392 under the hood in my 33 Imperial, but to do so required moving the firewall back 3" and tweaking the hood out slightly to miss the valve covers. The trans is a Dodge 518 O/D built to OEM truck specs. Personally I think a Red Ram Hemi with the 518 trans would be in keeping with an all Dodge theme and would give you a very usable ride. You don't see many all Mopar rides running around.

Attached Files:

21. 73RR

73RR

241-270-315-325-276-291-330-341-331-354-392 and then the 'poly' versions of the Dodge and Chrysler (301-354 Spitfire) and then the Plymouth 260.
    I don't know why it is a problem selecting one...:p They all are capable of 1hp/in with the correct pile-o-parts. Yes, the 392 will cost the most right off, but bargains still pop up if you're lucky.

If you want something a bit different then the Spitfire should be looked at.

22. MLG

MLG

241 Red Ram was my choice.
    46 DODGE.

Attached Files:

23. blucar

blucar

My comments might prompt the hemi guru's to put out a contract on me to prompt my early demise..
    Three of my friends within the past ten years have fallen prey to the mystic that surrounds the Chrysler Hemi engines, regardless of what the CID/year of the engine they bought was.. I almost fell into the same trap when I was researching the engine options for my '39 Plym conv. cpe.. As far as the Mopar people were concerned, my only option to re-power a '30 model Chrysler product was a hemi.
    The engine rebuilders all tried to steer me away from any engine older than a 1985, citing nothing but problems with parts and rebuilding of "old" engines..
    All three of my friends that had hemi's built for their ride, ended up being real sorry... The cost to build the engines were almost off the chart and they have had nothing but trouble with the engines.. In two cases the trouble resulted in having the engines rebuilt by a second shop, because the first shop would not accept any responsibility for their mistakes..
    One of the engines is in my friends '55 Chevy pkup.. looks really neat with dual 4 barrel carbs and all the shinny stuff..
    I opted for a small block crate engine in my Plym, runs excellent with no problems.. Chrysler has/had some excellent small block V8's, HO 318's. 340's and 360's, all of which put out excellent power while not breaking the bank..
    I had the same choice to make when I was selecting an engine for my '49 Olds project... The Olds purist's thought I should keep the '49 303 Rocket engine, I opted for a '78 Olds 403 with a 2004R trans.. Unlead fuel friendly, over 400 hp.. and... over 500 lbs lighter for the engine/trans combo.. That a huge savings...
    Do your home work before you shell out a suitcase full of money for someone else' dream..

24. George

George

They're not cheap to build, but are as good as any other. Sounds like your buddy's got took by numnutz who were clueless about doing engines.

25. expavr

expavr

"Breaking the Fuel Economy Bank" is something else you might want to think about if you plan to do much driving after the build. The supercharged 392 in my Imperial needs 91 octane gas and so far tweaking the carb and timing the best fuel economy I'm getting is 10 MPG and that's mainly freeway driving in O/D. Fuel economy wasn't something I gave much thought to when putting together the drivetrain (engine,trans,rear end), but at $4.00+/ gallon it can get your attention real quick. Getting performance from those 500+ ponies is relatively easy, feeding them is something else.....

26. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spjeaking of DeSoto hemis, the first high deck was the 330, circa 1956. Bore it .060, and you have a 341. If you are serious, drop a line to me or do whatever we do on this freaking computer, and I will givae you the name of a guy in San Antonio who has several short and high deck DeSotos plus several Dodges all the way to the KS 325.

27. Andy

Andy

I have a complete D500 engine for sale.

28. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you guys out there in Hemiland have parts for a '56 330, I would like to hear from you. Got an S-24 on the stand and really want to build it.

29. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been told by several serious rodders and engine builders that I WILL relinquish at least $5ooo to build my 330 into a very mild/hot engine, emphasis on MILD.

30. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Not a problem anymore, unless you want to run a GM automatic.