Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Do you guys help out n00bs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nuggett, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nuggett

Nuggett

Do you guys help out n00bs with their builds or should I just keep on walking?

I've got a 1960 F250 4x4 project that I'm starting and need some help with (mainly sourcing parts).

I'm not looking to go crazy on it with modifications but I would like to update it from what it was from the factory.

Disc brakes up front, power steering, 4 barrel carb, small lift, some meatier tires, etc.

I bought the truck from the 2nd owner and was motivated to get this one because the body is in great shape. Very straight, with only the most minor surface rust. Some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyways, finally got the thing torn almost all the way apart. The only left on the chassis is the cab, which is stripped (no doors, seat, tank, wiring, etc.). My engine is on a stand, the tranny and transfer case are on a bench.

That being said, I'm ready to start rebuilding them! But now I'm struggling to find parts. I've been desperately trying to find a bearing, gasket, and syncro kit for the T98a tranny and a bearing and gasket kit for the DS 24 transfer case. www.cobratransmission.com has some of the parts but the syncro kit is out of stock and I don't want to have to order it in stages.

I also need a full rebuild kit for the stock 292. Northern Auto has some but not sure where is the best place to go. Any thoughts?

Also, I want to do a disc break conversion up front and don't think that anyone makes a kit for the 8 lug axles (I've searched and searched and can't find one). Is that true?

Finally, I want to go to a 4 barrel carb but don't know where I can get a 4 barrel IM for the 292. Any ideas?

I know it's a lot of questions right away but I've been sitting on this long enough and am ready to get some serious work done. Thanks!

Oh, and if this is in the wrong place or against the rules, please delete with my apologies. I know what it's like to have new guys post stuff on a forum.

2. belair

belair

Read the rules, do an intro, read the rules again, and don't paint the wheels red. There are a lot of guys here who will be glad to help you. Looks like a solid truck.

3. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Nuggett;

You should get lots of info here, but another forum is pirate4x4.com. Warning: they make these guys look like schoolgirls, for newbies. They have separate sub-forums for different makes, so you can zero in on the ford. They are hard-core off-road, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a lot of very good info for you to use. Also google search for 4x4 forums pertaining to your truck. I'm not into fords anymore, so you can search as fast as I can. :) .

HTH.

Marcus...

4. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Most folks on here will help out noobs, if it's on topic, I'm not really sure how you're going to turn your 4x4 into a trad style hot rod tho? It looks like a nice solid truck so maybe a retro style shop/push truck

Scotty

5. pressuredrop

pressuredrop
    from mesa AZ

Hhmm, call LMC truck, or 4x4 forum, I think your in the wrong place

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

There is no way a modern 4x4 is a traditional hot rod, no way that fits this forum

7. Your vehicle uh...well isn't a hotrods or custom by any means.but you seem to speak with respect.thumbs up to that

8. If thats a factory 4X4 truck,You might check fordtruckenthusiasts.com.
    They have a 1957-1960 section and they will go nuts for a napco/MH conversion truck.They will go out of their way to help you too.

If your truck has a frame swap,well good luck.

Thats a great looking truck.
    Good luck with your project.

9. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Truck looks hamb friendly to me..I would swap out the closed knuckle front end for a disc 44 out of a later 78-79 f250. I did that on my 63. Or try and find a complete one for parts and rob everything. The Dana 24's are pretty damn indistructable. Nothing wrong with doing some mechanical upgrades to make it safer and nice to drive. That body style is the ruggedest looking 4x Ford made.

10. Chris F100

Chris F100

Go to Ford Truck Enthusiasts (FTE) - they have a site dedicated to these trucks. They also have a parts guru with over 40 years experience in Ford..

11. bgaro

bgaro

hows about a dropped axle in the front and c-notch out back. u must like hot rods, u could build on of those. it's the lifted 4x4 part that wouldn't be as welcoming here. drop it.

12. Introduction is the best way to get started,,HRP

13. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Add a trailer with a Pre-64 dragster/gasser/lakes racer on it and it becomes on-topic.

14. Some guys here want to help and some guys are waiting to kick you in the nuts.....Its either pain or pleasure here depends who your dealing with....,Welome from Wis ...I like to help!!!

Attached Files:

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, noobs do get help here, not every vehicle gets the same attention but the owner should be given the same respect. I never knew that there was a big rear window cab in 1960, so I learned something. If that was a lowered rear drive truck people here would go nuts over it. Bob

16. 73RR

73RR

As mentioned, the 4x4 part is a bit problematic, sorta like the no-intro-post thing.
    The city slickers don't seem to have any appreciation for 4x4 but carry on. If funds permit, you might consider swapping the drivetrain for something out of a late model wreck...better brakes, axles, trans, transfer, etc. How about a 4BT?

17. Truckedup

Truckedup

Yes,it's proper to post an introduction.....
    The hassling newbies here and as mentioned, far worse on Pirate4x4 is sometimes just ball busting. But many times it's just mean spirited shit from guys hiding behind the keyboard.

18. Welcome to the kinder,gentler Hamb,:rolleyes: HRP

19. I'm with bgaro!!! Slam that fucker!! Flake it.. Lace it.. Or scallop it!!! Make a tail drager out of it and throw a blown 430 Lincoln motor in it!! Or some other nastalgic motor!! Take your time do it right and you'll be respected!! Keep in mind this is a TRADITIONAL ROD AND CUSTOM SITE!!! We hate rat rods!! Black primer is out!! Red wheels are out!! Hot rods... Cool!! Rat rods... Gay!!!

20. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

If it were a van - a pedal truck - a COE - a stroller - go-kart - a camper - a 2WD - a boat ………………………………..... It would be OK here. :rolleyes:

21. go do an intro...but i say welcome. the truck is within the correct years and as long as you are not looking to make a full out off road rig of that i say it can stay. but then again what i say dont mean poop. i guess i just never understood how COE's are ok. but 4x4's are not...

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, If you are planning on building it more like what a guy would have had for his Tow rig in the early 60's to haul his race car with that would be cool. That means shiny paint, period correct wheels and tires and a rather real truck look to it. What you could have seen being used as a tow rig to take a car to the drags, the dry lakes or Bonneville in the early 60's.

Still the Ford truck enthusiast board would most likely be a lot better fit for the truck where it would receive a lot of love if you are building or redoing it right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.