Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Happy HAMBer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hrm2k, Mar 7, 2013.

1. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For the last year and a half, I have been helping a young guy hot rodder redo his car. We took the body off the frame; installed a notch kit in the back of the frame along with a custom trailing arm air bag rear suspension ; and disc brakes; an Accuair system in a custom trunk; A complete new electrical system and tonight I finally decided to take a picture or 2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple more trips to his house and this thing will be on the road. Getting his newly reupholstered seat in place tonight finally gave him an idea as to what it will feel like ( seat was totally broken before covered in foam and a mexican blanket )

Congrats Jesse.......you did good

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2023
  2. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

That's really cool! I wish I had someone to help me out when I got started with cars. Might have saved me a few million dollars worth of electronics, big wheels, and other such non-sense.

clem, hrm2k and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You are a hero.

Just Gary, clem, beegator and 2 others like this.
  4. Drew.Morris

Drew.Morris

That thing is looking good. You will post more pictures as it progresses right?

Drew

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. everyone needs someone to 'bounce off', either as a supporting friend or mentor, and think that's it's great you've been assisting in these ways, as the outcomes are benificial for all parties, and to be commended.

Look forward to seeing more.

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

6. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guys, this was not about me......it was about the heavy lifting and work he has done......I just helped

7. He learned more than just how to do car stuff. He'll go on to mentor someone someday.

8. metal man

metal man

Looks like he's going to have a real nice ride. About you or not, it's really good of you to help this kid out.

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

VERY cool gesture.

10. Good on You! Called Karma!:)

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. kracker36

kracker36

Great to hear of a youngster working on a nice project. Im sure that you made a friend!

12. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Very nice. I often wish I could pay it forward as well, yet I have never met a youngin' who wanted to come to the shop, learn and help - as I did when I was young.

On a total side note - does the seat seem a little high? Maybe just me....

13. Mentor, Hero, friend, whatever it's called,
    You're a good man!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. Thanks John, I really do appreciate everything, even beyond the scope of the car itself.

John drives 25 minutes each way at least 1-2 days per week to my house to work with me a few hours per night. He fits it around my schedule, not his. He works in a garage that stays cold, even when I stop pinching my pennies and run the torpedo heater. He's always snagging tools from his own garage to bring up to mine, and then missing things when he goes to work on his own stuff. I've been incredibly fortunate to have someone with his character, willingness, and patience help me learn the ropes and how to not cut off a finger--even when the project went from a 6 month build, to a year and 6 month build.

As everyone has said, I've had a great mentor and friend made through this experience; and it's overwhelming how much I've learned and now want to continue pursuing to refine and grow. So again, thanks John.

All sappiness aside....even though the car is still far from done and needs A LOT of body work, it will feel really good to be able to finally drive this thing out the door shortly.

Jesse

15. Weasel

Weasel

It sounds like both of you got something very valuable out of this and that both of you are enjoying the build - way to go. The Hamb could do with more stories like this. How about a build thread?

16. John,don't sell yourself short,We all know you are not looking for recondition or praise for helping a young man get his dream on the road.

I also believe you both are enjoying the build and learning from each other.HRP

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  17. ......Don't be too modest, John. It's guys like you who made this hobby what it is. You are to be commended..............Don.:)

18. Gator

Gator

Yeah, but good on ya for bringing another one into the Fold... :)

19. big bad john

big bad john

.....Very nice.....its always good to help people

20. Great job John. Wish I woulda had someon like you to mentor me

21. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Looking good,Jesse!
    John's a cool guy! He knows everybody(even other ex-printing reps)is a hoot to talk with and hang around and is very knowledgeable when it comes to hot rods.
    He's just damn dreamy...
    This country needs more mentors and old guys looking out for us young guns...haa haa

22. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Awesome job! Lookin great!

23. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

Helping a young hot rodder with his project is alway's a good thing. Keeing them intrested in "old cars" helps keep this hobby going. Kudos to you!

24. Nice John!
    Look at that smile, a dream is coming true...

25. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Now that's what the world needs! More Hot Rodders helping Hot Rodders! I'm sure there is no better feeling in life than seeing the eyes of a young rodder sitting in their Hot Rod for the first time!

26. You're a good man, John. Seriously.

27. Talk about paying it forward. You are certainly putting some karma in the bank. I think all of us could learn from this.

Great job!

Jeff

28. Billy_Bottle_Caps

Billy_Bottle_Caps

Another vote here for a build thread

29. Well played, John! :D

I promise, that it is ok for us to be proud of you as well as the young grashopper!

30. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

X2

What a great thread! Made my day to see this. This story about a mentor & a young guy learning the ropes is what Hot Rodding, or a lot of LIFE for that matter, is really all about. We need MORE "Johns" & even more "Jesse's" in this world...Very cool!

EW

PS: Another vote for a build thread, looks like a neat project!