Register now to get rid of these ads!

3 1/2 year old Coker tires sold as new

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSig, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weasel

Weasel

Coker might need to rethink their position - it really doesn't matter what they warrant. Assume that after four years a tire blows out and causes a fatal accident due to age and degradation of the tire. The supplier/manufacturer says 'but they were sold four years ago'. The relatives of the deceased victim point out that the date code on the tires has exceeded the six years recommended by government by virtue of the manufacturer having sold old stock. Attorneys would have a field day on this one.

And for those who say 'run them', let's simplify this. How would you feel if you went to the gas station and you paid for 10 gallons but the pump only dispensed five? That is basically the bone of contention here. The OP got half the tire life left that he paid for, if one assumes that six years is the maximum life....

2. Well I guess I'm going to jump on the band wagon too and say BULL to this statement.

Old rubber is old rubber! Rubber doesn't know if it's "speciality" or "production", it's freakin' rubber!!! Does that rep think that we're dumb asses!!!!

With that said, I bought some "brand new", with stickers, but 4 year old Michelin tires for my Super Duty pickup. Within 1 summer they started showing signs of dry rotting. Yea I bought them off of Craigslist but I can't blame the private seller, he wasn't bullshitting, they were new. But they were old and I did get what I paid for.

In my case I say, oh well, live & learn!

In your case, I'd be pissed! Good Luck and don't take the bullshit stories.

3. XXL__

XXL__

In advance of the Coker Fanboi Society responses that say something to the effect of, "but he got _4_ tires" ...

change the metaphor to this-- How would you feel if you went to the gas station and you paid for 10 gallons, and the pump dispensed 10 gallons of 3.5 year old gas?

4. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I suspect that Coker's issue is that they must run a particular tire in enough volume to make financial sense, then warehouse until it sells.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I thought of this too. Not sure about what size is gonna look right? Cut one "6.00" and one "6.40", stand back 30' and take a look.

6. blucar

blucar

The DOT tire dating code that is stamped on the sidewall of tires is something that all motorists should be aware of, but are not..
    I recently had two occurances with tires that was very un-nerving to say the least:
    A couple of years ago I purchased a 2001 Ford F250.. The truck had 120k on the odometer, the tires appeared to be new.. I was told they were..
    Last year I noted some cracking in the side wall, went to the Wrangler dealer to see if there was a problem, and if so could the be warranted.. I was told that the tires were DOT dated 2001 original equipment.. It would appear that the owner of the truck had removed the tires/wheels, installing after market items, when he decided to sell the truck he put the original tires/wheels back on the truck.. I was up the creek, because of the age of the tires, near new looking tires went in the recycle bin..
    In 2007 I purchased a new set of tires for my large diesel motor home, 14 ply radials at over $300 per tire x 6... We were going a an extended cross country trip, coast to coast and I did not want tire troubles on such a large vehicle.. Had a great trip over an eight week period of time.
    Last fall I was getting the coach ready for a trip to Montana, a round trip distance of over 3k miles. I took the coach into the tire store, not the one I had purchased the tire from, they had went out of business..
    I wanted the tires rotated and balanced.. I don't run different types of tires on the drive axles and steering axle, so that they can be rotated to balance the wear pattern.
    Minor cracking was noted in the side wall of two tires, it was suggested that they be replaced.. I was concerned because the tires were only five years old, having less than 30k on them.. The tire salesman pointed out to me that the DOT code on the tires said that the tires were dated 2000.. Twelve years old, seven years old when they were sold to me.. More tires for the recycle bin... Of course this means I would have to pay a re-cycle fee.. Wrong..
    My daughter and son in law have a large farm in Montana, they have several large diesel trucks.. I took the tires to Montana, my son in law can run them out on the gravel roads of central Montana....

7. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

I did not read all 7 pages, So this might have already been said, But Coker should be willing to eat the shipping here, If not basicly they are telling you...."hey we sent you some old tires we had way back in the back of the warehouse because we needed someone to buy are junk" That might sound wrong, but In my opinion they should have told you up front that you were buying old stock. So what I would do is call my credit card company or bank (debit card) and dispute charges. I bet coker tire is willing to do something for you after your credit card company takes the money back out of corky's account. A real business would handle this diffrently, As big and well known as they are this kind of customer support is unacceptable in my opinion.....Oh and by the way I do sell, And have sold their tires to a few of my customers, And if they tried to do this to one of my customers, I would make it right and I would no longer sell their product........I do not like to eat return shipping charges myself, (And I only do it If fault falls on me) This is why I do my best to talk to my customers and make sure they know what they are buying before hand.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  8. just do more burnouts, and keep them rotated. problem solved!

9. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Yeah, but you can buy about 20 sets of tires for what a CNC router cost......LOL:D:D

10. 1959apache

1959apache

Wow this thread blew up in a hurry. I agree with returning them, but Coker should eat the cost. I couldn't stress putting things on a credit card more, it has saved me from lousy business practices like this in the past.

11. the-rodster

the-rodster

Date code?

The last set that I bought from Coker said "For display purposes only"

Rich

12. And probably round as a brick

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Count me as one of those "Fanbois." And you are using my site when you compare gasoline to rubber...

Something my old man taught me a long time ago - If you gotta attack someone else to express an opinion, that opinion is void. No more valuable than that of a politician's. No longer valid. Past the warrant date.

Ironic.

14. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Idiot's! Wow big words. Go ahead and whine for your 1 day old tires I'll be happy to run 4 yr old ones.

15. Wow, this thread quickly turned into a pissin' match!

Like I said on another pissin' match thread, "there must be a full moon".

16. I'm with you Harry,,how many of these annal guys check the date code when they buy tires for their spouses daily driver?

As for me I'll keep doing business with Coker,I haven't experienced any trouble with them. HRP

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Closed... and not because it's a complaint about Coker (those are welcomed), but because there is just too much name calling and crap.

Jim, feel free to report back with the outcome...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.