Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick Suspension Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MindlissMetalfab, Mar 6, 2013.

1. MindlissMetalfab

MindlissMetalfab

Hi Guys, fairly new to posting here, hopefully someone can help me out with this.
    I developed an air suspension conversion kit for a '55 Buick Special awhile back and it worked out great. I'm hoping to market the kit, but I'm trying to figure out what other makes and model years share the same suspension. It is a front and rear set up for the enclosed driveline and king pin front end.

2. Buford

Buford

Buick went to rear coil springs in 1938 and I believe they stayed with them all the way to today.

3. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Early Olds also had trailing arms and coil rear suspension. Worked on a 40 Olds Coupe years ago and we retained the original rear suspension but used a GM 10-bolt rear. A new cross member was used with tube shocks.
    Check on the Oldsmobiles probably through the late 50's. I sure would like a pair of the Olds Trailing Arms for a current project.
    The entire rear suspension looked like the Grandaddy of the stamped steel triangulated 4-bar similar to a Chevelle and others in the GM Line. J Ray

4. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

^^^^ My buddies 53 Olds has leaf springs in the rear

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Buick, Olds and Pontiac front end are very much alike from 1937 thru 1957......

Rear suspension on Buick remained torque tube/coil thru about '60 or '61 era.

Pontiac and Olds went to leaf springs much earlier.

Ray