Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 Ford brake spacers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CFster, Mar 4, 2013.

1. CFster

CFster

Hi, new to the board. We got this '40 Custom Deluxe convertible and I was looking at the brakes. Any idea what these aluminum spacers are for? I don't even know what this has for brakes, other then they are drums.

Thanks,
    -Colin

[​IMG]

2. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

It has a backing plate that is not 40 ford, so it must have an adapter to another cars brakes. The pin (with #8 on it ) is a give away. Need more pics to identify the backing plate.

3. CFster

CFster

Thanks I'll take more pics tonight.

4. alchemy

alchemy

I'd bet (without full pics it's hard to tell) they are '46 Lincoln brakes. The deep-offset kind that require the spacer to fit with the '40 Ford spindles and drums.

5. I'm betting on Lincoln also

6. CFster

CFster

Here's some more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do the rear brakes look stock?

[​IMG]

Here's the brake and clutch masters. I'll be moving the pipe!

[​IMG]

7. 36tbird

36tbird

Wow, gives a whole new meaning to "dual master cylinder"! Is this an old moon shiner's car?

8. flthd31

flthd31

That is a complete original set of 46-48 Lincoln backer plates. The fronts are deeply recessed and require that spacer to work on Ford spindles. The rears don't have that deep recess.
    Those are in great shape with there outer reinforcement ring still intact...those aren't on the pepops. The drums and hubs look to be aftermarket.
    That's a nice setup and looks in new condition. They are about as good as it gets for drum brakes.

9. You're a lucky man! I'm doing the brakes on my 40 right now, and that is the hot setup in the drum brake category. Far superior to 40 brakes.

Also: What's the engine/tranny combo? My 40 has a mechanical linkage clutch, not hydraulic.

10. CFster

CFster

Do the rears look like Lincolns as well?

What size are the stock drums?

Thanks.

11. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, all Lincolns. Looks like you have new repro drums, which should be 12".

12. CFster

CFster

Dunno, but it isn't anymore!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

i believe the correct application is `42-`48 Lincoln. please correct me if i`m wrong. it looks like you might have "safety hubs" on it [long stud holding the rear backing plate].

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yep, and you REALLY need to know about the safety hubs before you try to pull a rear drum!!

15. CFster

CFster

What do I need to know?

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The safety hubs are there to prevent the hub from removing itself if the axle breaks...they will also prevent you from removing the hub! Remove the nuts from the 2 long fasteners, THEN pull the hub and all will be revealed.

17. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

CFster...Would you by chance know if this is the same car that sold last June at the DINGMAN Collection auction in New Hampshire? Seems that the buyer at that auction (car sold for $165K) had the NOS flathead gone-through by Jack Roush, along with numerous other mods on that 999 point EV8Club car so that it could participate in The Great Race. Any possibility this is the same car? Lots of similar details from a couple of your pics. DD

18. CFster

CFster

You are absolutely correct. This is the same car. I wouldn't say it's a 99 point car - a lot of stuff has been changed. Different transmission, dual ignition systems, aluminum radiator (pressurized system), electric fuel pump, brakes etc. Dingman had the engine done by Roush before it sold at auction (to my boss). You should see the '40 Lincoln V12 he bought too. Belongs in a museum.

We are indeed signed up for the Great Race this year.

19. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

that car ,from what i can see looks very nice, however before i would pay $165,000.00 for a car i would at least take a look at the bottom of the car. that exhaust/clutch cylinder set-up is atrocious!

20. CFster

CFster

We're rectifying that. The guy who bought the car has enough money that he doesn't have to look under the car...

21. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Thank you for the reply. You mentioned that it now has a different transmission...what type? Also, is the Columbia rear end now GONE from the car? DD

22. CFster

CFster

You're talking to a musclecar guy. That's a two speed rear right? Then this car doesn't have it. Are you saying you know this car had one?

From my understanding something was done internally in the transmission. Same case - different gears, I don't know. But it flies down the highway.

23. KUBE

KUBE
    from USA

I have to chime in here... through my tears I have to tell all so interested, I was the guy that restored that car and subsequently sold it to Dingham.It did have A Columbia in it at the time I sold it. Also, it was an honest 999 point car. I was docked a point as there were two pits in the Columbia axle housing. Yes, that's all that was found to be a flaw.
    Why would someone choose this particular car to (my words) destroy is beyond me. Just because a guy can, doesn't mean he should.

24. CFster

CFster

KUBE, how long ago was this?

25. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

I'm thinking 2004-2006 ish. Kube's probably out back, bent-over heaving right now. He had right at two serious years in that car...undoubtedly, THE best authentic resto to ever come out of his shop. DD

26. CFster

CFster

Sorry about that. Don't shoot the messenger. Modifications Dingman did were strictly mechanical but I wouldn't have done it either...

27. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

I think it's probably pretty clear now that the OTHER bunch are the ones that "hacked" it. Never-the-less, I'm guessing that the ambulance just left with Kube, headed for the ICU. DD

28. bgaro

bgaro

i dated Dingman's granddaughter, i really skrewed that up, i guess. hah

29. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

OK CFster, now that we've gotten a little history and pedigree behind us, and since this car has pretty-much "officially" become a hot rod, how 'bout showing some more pics and some mechanical details, and maybe some ideas about where you folks are headed with the re-build, and maybe a little history that you might share from the time you guys obtained the car. I'm genuinely interested in where this is going. Somehow, I think Kube will survive this. DD

30. KUBE

KUBE
    from USA

I sold the car to Dingham in 2003